Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight Sleeping Pad Option For Winter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Lightweight Sleeping Pad Option For Winter on 11/15/2005 20:28:35 MST Print View

I am going to be doing a bunch of ski touring this winter and was wondering what you all use for sleeping pads to sleeping on snow?

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Lightweight Sleeping Pad Option For Winter on 11/15/2005 20:59:18 MST Print View

Two systems I like depending on the trip:

Simple and Light but Bulky: Ridgerest deluxe trimmed to 15oz. This works well w/ my old Golite Gust pack which has enough volume to swallow the pad. Foolproof!

Heavy but Compact: Full length Z-Rest (14.4oz) plus BMW Torsolite (10.8oz). This works great with my Vapor Trail as the Torsolite rolls up inside very compactly, while the Z-Rest is a perfect fit on the pack's strap system. The Z-rest is also a backup in case of a Torsolite puncture.

Neither of these systems is super light weight, but they're both fuss-free and dependable for Winter. (Winter = 10-35 degrees in my neck of the woods.)

I've tried a Stephenson DAM (24oz) in the past and found it supremely warm and comfortable. But, it had a high fiddle factor, and I mistrusted it in case of puncture.

Inspired by Ryan's SUL challange, I'm tempted to try to go lighter this coming season with some combination of Gossamer Gear pads.

PS - Need some boots?

Edited by MikeMartin on 11/15/2005 21:42:11 MST.