Forum Index » Photography » Completely Lost in the Digital Age

Display Avatars Sort By:
Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/19/2008 15:26:31 MDT Print View

While I would love to post some photos of my recent trip, my feeble attempts to get the photos off the camera and onto Picasa, the computer, or anywhere have me completely frustrated. My computer skills are nearly non existent, computer is at least 12 years old with some extra memory, camera is a Casio ex z200. My attempts to follow the cameras and Picasa's directions are a complete failure. If the memory card is not formatted, is this impossible? (Not sure if this is the case, one was, one wasn't).

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/19/2008 16:41:48 MDT Print View

Hi Linsey,

Can you give a little more information? Are there images in the camera you need to upload to your PC? Do you know whether they're stored in the camera's internal memory or the storage card?

To be honest, a 12-year old computer will not support image editing and probably cannot even upload images from your camera (pre-USB). You may need to rely on outside vendors until you get a computer made in this millenium :-)

I'd take your camera, connecting cable and image card to a vendor who can upload your images and burn to a CD or DVD, and make prints of any images you're interested in. Then you can erase the stored images (and perhaps reformat the storage chip in the camera) to free up the space for more shots.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to use a library or school computer to set up a Picasa or similar account and upload images from disc (while shopping for a new PC). Editing those image files is another topic entirely.

Good luck!

Edited by halfturbo on 10/19/2008 16:42:29 MDT.

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Re: Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/19/2008 17:08:35 MDT Print View

Thanks so much for responding, Rick. I might be off on the computers age because it does have a USB port (or at least the camera cord does plug in). The images are on a card, not camera memory but really I should take the advice you've already given on an outside vendor or library.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/19/2008 17:39:38 MDT Print View

Find teenager. Offer Coca Cola as bribe. .... :-)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/20/2008 17:11:49 MDT Print View

The first thing that popped into my mind was pretty much the same as Roger's. Get any high school student and in a few minutes he will have you up and running, much easier than trying to work it out from manuals and the like.
Franco

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/20/2008 17:35:31 MDT Print View

You know you need to borrow a teenager when all the appliances in your home blink "12:00".

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Completely Lost in the Digital Age on 10/20/2008 17:35:39 MDT Print View

Dear Rick, Roger, Franco, Thank you guys so much, I'm starting to muddle my way thru it. One of the many initial issues (besides my brain) was actually a loose USB connection. When I use to dabble with black and white processing and printing (and sometimes hand coloring), I couldn't believe the sheer volume of time it consumed. Now I realize (especially with an antique computer) that downloading digital can also take up large chunks of time, not including what editing/tweaking could take.

Actually, I'm still trying to shoot Kodachrome even with the poor success I've had in the past (not to mention they don't scan well). The digital pics are from Todd's camera (although I did shoot a few of them).

On a lighter note, I just got my first digital camera last night for free on craigslist.com...a Cannon S400. Maybe not ideal, but the price was right.

Edited by lollygag on 10/20/2008 19:02:25 MDT.