Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY
Display Avatars Sort By:
canyon steinzig
(canyon) - F - M

Locale: Nor Cal
Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/19/2008 11:38:34 MDT Print View

I have a warmlite 2x with two windows seam sealed in perfect like unused (silnylon).
What would people be willing to pay?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/19/2008 15:06:59 MDT Print View

I'll give you half my lunch.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Re: Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/19/2008 15:55:05 MDT Print View

I'll give you ALL my lunch. :P

canyon steinzig
(canyon) - F - M

warmlite on 10/19/2008 16:08:40 MDT Print View

soo, does this mean I was asking a d**k question? if so, you can have my lunch...back

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/19/2008 16:21:48 MDT Print View

Canyon -- just my two cents -- to me, posting a sale and then emphasizing that you're just "testing the water" feels like playing games. Why not just assess whether you truly won't need the tent anymore, and if not, then post a bona fide sale with a reasonable sale price?

Edited by ben2world on 10/19/2008 16:28:39 MDT.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/19/2008 16:58:03 MDT Print View

I agree with Benjamin, and no, this is not a game. Kindly put it up for sale with an asking price and a description of age, color, and other pertinent information or remove your posting.

For the curious:

The Stephenson Warmlite XS is the single wall version of their popular tunnel tent with one big window on each side. The cost for a new one is $504 plus shipping.

Edited by wandering_bob on 10/19/2008 17:03:54 MDT.

canyon steinzig
(canyon) - F - M

warmlite on 10/19/2008 17:00:33 MDT Print View

thanks for your two cents Benjamin. I guess I understand, but isn't this whole gear forum thing jsut a game really? I mean did somebody get foreclosed on because they were thinking about my question? My guess is that anyone who has time or inclination to reply or "play this game" has a profound surplus of time on their hands. O/w they would just walk on by. Just my two cents...so, what IS this thing worth?

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: warmlite on 10/19/2008 17:08:54 MDT Print View

Last Warmlite on forum sold QUICK. It was a 2R I think. Sold earlier this year for $200 (I missed it by a few minutes). Close to the same MSRP as your 2X. Your guess is as good as mine.

Cheers!

JB

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: warmlite on 10/19/2008 17:24:16 MDT Print View

In this particular case I'd go much less than $200.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/19/2008 17:57:49 MDT Print View

Why not post a price you would be satisfied with and see if there are any takers? If there are none, you come back and drop the price. That's the way that everyone else does it. Sometimes there are two or three price drops if there aren't any takers. Most of the time people are happy to pay a fair price for good gear and price drops aren't necessary -- just depends on the gear, how much you want for it, and who's in the market!

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: Re: warmlite on 10/19/2008 18:10:59 MDT Print View

John,

Can I ask why you would go much less than $200??

Thanks,

JB

k sebler
(kurtibm) - F

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: warmlite on 10/20/2008 15:37:02 MDT Print View

Likely the question that you should be asking (of yourself), is "what quantity of US dollars would be required for me to part with my tent". Then, ask maybe 10% more than that to allow some 'wiggle room' on the price. You could (and should) do this calculation in the privacy of your own home and then post your asking price when you've come to your own conclusion.
What someone might be willing to pay might not be what you'd be willing to sell it for, so the whole "what do you think it's worth" yada is moot.

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
$100 on 10/20/2008 16:22:38 MDT Print View

I think it is worth $100. Those tents aren't very good.

Now put it up at that price so I can buy it.

See, it really is a stupid question.

Edited by PedroArvy on 10/20/2008 16:23:08 MDT.

Telford Work
(telford)

Locale: Santa Barbara
auction on 10/20/2008 22:20:44 MDT Print View

Well, if you really want to know how much people will pay, then auction it off. Post it on eBay and put a link here. If you don't want to let go of it for under $X, then make $X the minimum bid or (though I don't like the practice) make $X the reserve price. You'll pay a commission, but you may get a higher price.

People have done that on this forum -- I don't think it's out of bounds at all.

We do seem to prefer the usual approach, though. It's much lower pressure.

Telford

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: auction on 10/20/2008 22:32:06 MDT Print View

> Post it on eBay and put a link here.
This is not accepted. EITHER post on eBay, OR post here.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Telford Work
(telford)

Locale: Santa Barbara
auction on 10/21/2008 00:53:51 MDT Print View

Sorry! I stand corrected!

(Good thing I never tried it.)

Telford

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

What's wrong with posting here or eBay? on 10/21/2008 01:06:15 MDT Print View

What's wrong with posting here or eBay. As a buyer I would want to know if some wierd UL stuff is up for auction on eBay via this forum.

Edited by PedroArvy on 10/21/2008 01:06:46 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: What's wrong with posting here or eBay? on 10/21/2008 03:30:02 MDT Print View

The problem is actually one of containing the influx of spam.
You are doubtless aware that BPL is already subject to a certain amount of 'shoe boy' spam (several sources in fact). I don't want to have to spend hours each day trying to filter postings. Have mercy!

Cheers

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

? on 10/21/2008 04:10:26 MDT Print View

Roger,

Are you saying that if an ebay listing is advertised here then people send emails to

someone@backpackinglight.com?

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Warmlite-Price TEST ONLY on 10/21/2008 04:49:30 MDT Print View

Canyon,
I'm surprised how much interest this generated. Although I wouldn't want too many inquiries like this jamming up Gear Swap, I had thought this was a friendlier crowd than this. I've seen lots of dumber questions asked and more spiteful comments made elsewhere. I always like to think of these forums as a group of nice people that are willing to help educate others. Let' not loose sight of that.

I have to admit that the lunch comment made me smile.

Edited by TomClark on 10/21/2008 04:50:38 MDT.