Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » My first MYOG alcohol stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/18/2008 01:53:21 MDT Print View

Nothing too special. Will boil a cup of water in about 2 min though. I still have to make some kind of pot holder because right now I'm literally holding my pot above the flame for a few minutes till the water boils. Not bad for my first attempt at a homemade stove...first MYOG stoveit works!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/18/2008 06:29:32 MDT Print View

Fun, addictive, and frustrating, isn't it!?

Have fun, and Nice job.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/18/2008 13:02:10 MDT Print View

Remember, there is help for you when you are ready. You will always be a stove junky and you will always be in recovery, but if you take it one day at a time, you can live a stove-free life.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/18/2008 22:07:02 MDT Print View

Haha, it's a love/hate relationship really... The first step is admitting you are powerless..... ;-)

David Erekson
(finallyME) - F

Locale: Utah desert
My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/20/2008 15:51:45 MDT Print View

Looks great!

Just remember, you can always quit. I have done it hundreds of times.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re: Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/20/2008 16:58:41 MDT Print View

My advice is do not start in the first place. It is far cheaper and easier to pay someone to make a stove for you and then forget about it.

Since my stove making addiction started I have spent over $3000 on equipment, about $1000 on commercial stoves, many $100's on fuel and many hundreds of hours making and testing stoves and probably more on forum discussions talking about stoves (and I am still married).

But then I have had a lot of fun.

Tony (complete and utter hopelessly addicted and broke stove freak)

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Re: Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/20/2008 17:53:05 MDT Print View

Really what is the deal with stove addictions? I tell people that have 15 stoves and they look at me in disbelief. The whole time I'm thinking "thank god I didn't count the alchy stoves". I guess I shouldn't talk to the "general public" about my gear addiction. This is my happy place. ;)

cheers

jb

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/20/2008 21:10:55 MDT Print View

First stove and it's a success. You are way ahead of the game. Your figures are good, you should be able to get 2 cups in 4 min. and that's great for a first stove.

It's ok to get addicted to stove making. Keeps you away from the football couch.

Nice job on the stove, now make a Ring Of Fire stove ;)

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove on 10/21/2008 09:34:19 MDT Print View

thanks for the compliments! It is a very addicting hobby. I'm already working on a heineken stove/pot combo. I'll post pics when I finish. The ring of fire design looks really cool and I do plan on making one eventually. My wife wonders what I'll do with all of these stoves....