Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB : sleeping bag / quilt for two

Display Avatars Sort By:
michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
WTB : sleeping bag / quilt for two on 10/12/2008 15:28:11 MDT Print View

My girlfriend and myself have been looking into trying to find a sleeping bag for 3 season use that can work for two people. I am not really interested in a two set sleeping bag i just want to have one and use it as a quilt if it is not one. We are trying to cut down on weight but still want to be comfortable at night time. If any one has what we need please make a offer. Thanks for your time.

andrew

canyon steinzig
(canyon) - F

Locale: Nor Cal
sleeping bag as quilt on 10/12/2008 22:28:56 MDT Print View

I have what I think is the best for this, although not perfect. It is a WM Badger. Very warm, big enough that it works for two. One can still use it as a great bag alone. I wish there was a way to get rid of the hood, like a zip of version. Still, it works great. I pin a diomond shapped piece of Epic fabric under it. This keeps out drafts and gives us something to lay on too. Not necessary but nice. I then unpin it when I use the bag alone. Half the time we just drape the thing over us. We have never been cold.
Yes, I am selling but only b/c I'm broke, not out of a lack of love

michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
sounds interesting on 10/13/2008 08:59:59 MDT Print View

I tried looking it up but could not find it, could you give me some specs about it? would it be good for right now in the sierras? its getting down to about 30 degrees at night sometimes colder. do you have any pictures? if so can u send them to andrewez88@hotmail.com .

thanks

andrew

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
WTB : sleeping bag / quilt for two on 10/13/2008 09:28:33 MDT Print View

BADGER MF: 15°F rating
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=34

Better - get a semi-rectangular bag with 2 zippers that lets it open completely.

Western Mountaineering makes three of these. My wife and I have a pair of the 25°F SYCAMORE MF, but only use 1 during Spring and Summer. It is also available without the hood as the ALDER MF.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=21

Warmer yet, the WM PONDEROSA (15°F) or SEQUOIA MF (5°F)

Feathered Friends also makes a series of wide, rectangular and semi-rectangular down bags. http://featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/BagsWideSeries.html

Your best choice might be the CONDOR - available in a 20°F and a 10°F rating. http://featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Product/Rectangular.html

Edited by wandering_bob on 10/13/2008 10:17:48 MDT.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: WTB : sleeping bag / quilt for two on 10/13/2008 10:42:39 MDT Print View

I with Bob on this one. I have a WM Badger and I would consider it too warm for 30 degrees or above especially with the additional body heat. You may want the heat. I have also owned a WM Aspen(now the alder) and think it would be EXCELLENT for what you seem to be looking for. As for the Condor you cannot go wrong with anything Feathered Friends creates for us.

Cheers!

canyon steinzig
(canyon) - F

Locale: Nor Cal
badger on 10/13/2008 11:22:27 MDT Print View

Iguess I depends upon how you sleep. Wth it draped over, I can easily use it into the high forties and fifties. Actually, the reality is that I have only used mine a few times truly in the thirties. I do sleep cold however. Too warm for me would be high sixties. Then I would just slide it off.
I do agree the optimal bag would be one of the seim rectangulars. However, you then don't have the option of a great hooded mummy when solo. I think the Badger is a generalist "one bag" solution.
Not a sales pitch BTW

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
WTB : sleeping bag / quilt for two on 10/13/2008 14:13:21 MDT Print View

Actually, three of the four Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bags are hooded. Only the ALDER is not.

With Feathered Friends' wide bags, the hood is optional on the Condor (20° and 10°) and Penguin (20° and 10°), standard on the Puffin (20°), and not available on the Sandpiper (30° and 40°).

Nunatak USA makes two dual person quilts both rated to 20°F, but you're talking big bucks here for very high-end gear.

DUAL ARC ALPINIST
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_alpinist_dual.htm

and the more expensive DUAL ALPINIST
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/dual_alpinist.htm

Edited by wandering_bob on 10/13/2008 14:13:55 MDT.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Two more cents' worth on 10/14/2008 10:29:09 MDT Print View

A few more suggestions for you, all using the three fine manufacturers recommended above.

- A semi-rec or rectangular bag with a coupler. Western Mountaineering makes one that's great with its bags (I used it with my Aspen/Alder for years). It's cotton (or was when I bought mine) and if you or your girlfriend is handy with a sewing machine you could probably save money and weight by making your own with a lighter fabric.

- Ask Feathered Friends about semi-custom work. They did a great job for me on a combination winter overbag/30 F rectangular bag. They used a discontinued pattern and didn't charge me any more than a listed bag, but from my discussions with them I think they would accomodate a special request for a reasonable fee. I think FF makes a coupler too.

- Best of all (and certainly most expensive of all) is two Nunatak Back Country Blankets. This allows one cold sleeper to cohabit with a warmer sleeper very easily. I justified the cost by rationalizing that each of us also has a versatile three-season bag for solo trips as well. Nunatak is great at special requests; you might call Tom Halpin to get his ideas.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
MLD Dual Quilt on 10/24/2008 06:56:41 MDT Print View

Hey Andrew,
Ron Bell is making one of these for me as we speak. We chose to go with the 5 oz insul. With custom charges and all it is costing around $400. Not bad considering what the competition wants for somthing like this. Ron quoted me a weight from 36-43 oz. It is a huge advantage traveling as a couple when it comes to stuff like this.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Dual quilts on 10/24/2008 08:01:14 MDT Print View

FWIW, alternatively, JRB's Family of Large Quilts work well for two as quilts or married into double bags. Also top quality and reasonable.

Remember I'm biased.

Pan

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Dual quilts on 10/24/2008 11:06:41 MDT Print View

Marni and I will be in a double quilt next summer I hope but doubles are DEFINITELY not for everyone. We sleep better together but some couples do not. Saving weight is not worth not sleeping or being pXssed off. Haha.

We tried it out by using our 15 deg bag as a fully zipped open quilt and like it a lot but a little wider and bigger footbox would be nice.

michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
Re: Re: Dual quilts on 10/24/2008 21:44:34 MDT Print View

We also tried unzipping one of my synthetic bags and used it as a quilt. We also custom cut it down some to 2 lbs but like you have already said, i wish the foot box was bigger and the sides wider. We are used to sleeping together and like you we sleep better together. ( after using GG sleeping pads we decided we will go with inflated pads next time.) i figure we are saving weight by going together anyways :-D

Have you found a bag that you like for doubles? or still looking?

Looking into some of the previous posters reply but money is a little issue. I guess it is almost winter time and time to save money for next summer.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Dual quilts on 10/24/2008 23:51:19 MDT Print View

My wife and I have some SBs I made: Pertex microlight fabric and 800 loft down. Summer design: 300 g of down in each one; 550 g total weight. My wife uses hers sometimes as a quilt and sometimes as a zipped SB. I use mine as a quilt.

OK, but we have used these down to -7 C! We layered them one on the other as quilts to give a '600 g quilt', and then snuggled up together under them. Fluffy hats and bed socks of course, and thermals. We were quite comfortable, despite the hard frost outside. So having a partner under a quilt with you can be very effective.

Cheers