Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ever used Westmark Corp?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Ever used Westmark Corp? on 10/12/2008 15:02:12 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever ordered fabric from Westmark Corp? I am thinking of taking the plunge and ordering some 100yd rolls of uncoated and sil 1.1rip for my gear making enjoyment.

I just wonder if their sil coated is quality and their uncoated comfortable and breathable for sleeping gear.

-Tim

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Ever used Westmark Corp? on 10/12/2008 22:24:37 MDT Print View

I've gotten some samples from them before a while back. I was looking at some of their super cheap stuff that was about $1/yd. 1.1 oz uncoated groundsheet was the name of one of the fabrics. It was heavily miscolored, but a high quality nylon, and very cheap. I decided against that due to the coloring though. I also sampled a coated taffeta that was about 2.5 oz/yd. It was quality, but not what I was looking for to make ultralight gear. Have you gotten any price quotes from them? I would love to compare them to bulk purchases from OWF Inc.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Ever used Westmark Corp? on 10/12/2008 23:49:10 MDT Print View

Hi Tim

Every manufacturer I know is terribly secretive about their sources for silnylon. I think all (or most of) the silnylon OWFINC sells by the yard comes from Westmark in those 100 yard rolls. I buy my rolls of silnylon from Westmark too.

Uncoated fabric is another matter: there are many more sources for that. The Westmark stuff seems pretty good, and is the base for the silnylon. However, there are other slightly lighter ources - at a price.

Say Hi to Debbie there for me.

Cheers

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Ever used Westmark Corp? on 10/13/2008 19:10:22 MDT Print View

Bellow is the reply from my inquiry. I will be asking about their closeouts as well.

For sil i think unless the sample is much better i will stick with OWFINC 2nds at <$4.50yd for bulk of 20yd or more.

"Dear Mr. Marshall,

If you are purchasing full bolts(100yds per color), I can sell to you.

The uncoated is currently $3.98 per yard and the coated is $5.05 per yard.

I will get samples out for you.

Best regards,
Michael Baker"

David, could you describe the finish on the "ground sheet" material? What is it's water resistance?

-Tim

Edited by MarshLaw303 on 10/13/2008 19:19:36 MDT.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Re: Re: Ever used Westmark Corp? on 10/17/2008 08:28:32 MDT Print View

the 1.1 groundcover has a DWR coating on it and is breathable. I would rank it's water resistance pretty close to standard 1.1 if not the same. Certainly no Momentum though, but what do you expect for $1/yd

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever used Westmark Corp? on 10/18/2008 16:11:28 MDT Print View

i just got my samples today and everything looks good.

They have some navy 30d sil on closeout for $3yd (in 100yd roll) that looks very nice!

Also, i really like the ground cover material. The stuff i got was an olive green and the color looked good throughout. I think this may work for all the quilts i make. I am considering it, except it comes on 200yd rolls instead of 100, so it'll still cost me a bit on the front end, but saves a lot overall.

-Tim