Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Pecos Wilderness October 2008
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stuart Armstrong
(strong806) - F

Locale: Near the AT
Pecos Wilderness October 2008 on 10/12/2008 12:32:10 MDT Print View

Videos from the trip.

15 pound base-weight for this trip. I'm only a few items away from UL and am really looking forward to it.

Gear

Enough food for 5 days, too much for  3 days

I decided I needed more insulation for the cold and Grant at Gossamer Gear let me drop by in-person to pick up my Thinlight on my way out of town. Thumbs up to the GG guys.

I was pumped for this trip and ready to hit a 12 hour drive.

Day 1

I got to the Jack's Creek Campground trailhead around 8AM and signed the log. It was just around freezing but the drive up the mountain was great.

I climbed a very STEEP straight up horse trail, which I later learned was almost a mile of switchbacks if I had taken the other hiker route.

I ran into a ton of cattle clogging up the trail but made it around them.

Luckily I had enough powdered milk

Headed towards East Pecos Baldy

Snow on the way up

Plenty of water almost everywhere I was. Good news considering the pipes were frozen at the trailhead and I had no water to start out.

Jack's Creek

The most noticeable and beautiful feature of this time of year was the leaves.

I headed up to Pecos Baldy Lake, passing a few hunters with pack horses and a Peak Bagger from my hometown.Pecos Baldy Lake 11,600 Feet

I planned to camp at the lake, but I got altitude sickness so I headed down to 10,000 feet or so to camp.

Day 2

Since I had backtracked, I thought I would take a different trail up to Truchas Lakes. I climbed up to Beatty's Flats and had a wonderful hike up.Through aspens up top the flats

It was smooth sailing until I hit the trail to climb up to Truchas Lakes. I use the word trail loosely, it was very difficult to follow, very few cairns, a few tree stumps, no maintenance. I was hopping downed trees the entire way up the mountain.Last good section of trail headed towards Truchas Peaks

Every meadow I approached was a gap in the trail with 12 horse tracks. Such a poor trail really pushed the envelope of my comfort level as I was off trail almost 1/3 of the time.

I made it to the top of the Santa Barbara Divide and the view was well worth it.

Junction

Truchas Peaks from East of Chimayosos Peak 12,076 FeetAnother View from The Divide

Right after I took this picture, 30 mph winds decided to blow my map off the Divide; trip over.

I headed back down halfway on a trail I knew led to my starting point and camped.Cold and tired

It got down to 15 degrees; I wore my beanie, hoody, fleece, and Golite Virga and I was toasty.

Day 3

I thought about going to the ranger station to try to get maps but decided after the drive and climb all the way back up it wouldn't be worth it.

I hiked out and still had an awesome trip.Successful trip, need a rope on my map!

Edited by strong806 on 10/12/2008 13:25:00 MDT.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Pecos Wilderness October 2008 on 10/12/2008 12:39:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the report and pictures! Way to get out there, even with a sling! What happened?

Stuart Armstrong
(strong806) - F

Re: Pecos Wilderness October 2008 on 10/12/2008 12:46:49 MDT Print View

My arm was paralyzed from the shoulder down when I was 17 years old.

If I am hiking up people are impressed I am hiking like I do, if am hiking down people think I am hiking out after an injury and had to sling myself with my advanced first aid kit. :)

Edited by strong806 on 10/12/2008 13:15:26 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Pecos on 10/12/2008 14:07:02 MDT Print View

Cool! You ought to go around to Red River, and hit the Wheeler Peak Wilderness next time.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Re: Pecos Wilderness October 2008 on 10/12/2008 17:57:58 MDT Print View

That would be quite the kit! Maybe you should make up some grand story about a bear, a falling tree, maybe a cliff. :)

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: Pecos Wilderness October 2008 on 10/12/2008 18:38:04 MDT Print View

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Pecos Oct. 08 on 10/13/2008 21:01:15 MDT Print View

Nice report. Really liked the video portion. Stupid question?: Where are the Peocs- what state? Sorry

Stuart Armstrong
(strong806) - F

Re: What state on 10/13/2008 21:06:07 MDT Print View

It's a wilderness area North East of Santa Fe, New Mexico and parts of it are surrounded by the Santa Fe National Forrest.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Pecos Oct. 2008 on 10/13/2008 21:12:48 MDT Print View

Thanks!!