for years, I carried way too way too many, large knives on hiking trips.
I used to carry 3-4, just cause I could, now I carry 2
This knife was purchased on a whim, and I have found myself using it so much that I am thinking about getting another, in case I break this one! (the handle is not carbon fiber, its metal)
on my last 2 night trip, my buddy carried some monster of a survival knife, and I carried this, he was able to whittle a stick with his, and cut chunks off the block of cheese he brought (yes he used it to cut the cheese..lol)
meanwhile I was able to cut some cord, slice my dinner, whittle a stick, spread my chicken salad on crackers, take out a splinter, and cut a fraying shoelace.....the Buck 327 is fairly heavy for its size, outweighs my Kershaw Skyline by an ounce, but its shorter, feels sturdier in my hand, and just as sharp.
I am never without a knife of some sort, as long as i am dressed...typically i carry a CRKT m16 of some sort, i have 3 different kinds, 95% of the time, its the m16-13z, the other 5% its an m16-01k.
from the time i was 15 till i was 24 i carried a Buck Odyssey 2, serrated, LOVED that knife, did everything with it, cut bandages, dressed squirrels, deer, cut food, whittled, cut fabrics/duct tape, bailer twine, cut sticks for shelters as a teenager, fuzz sticks for fire starting, used it with my flint to start fires, cut hoses for my car, removed a treble hook from my aunt's leg, even carried it in my tux pocket at my wedding, but one day my best friend got a CRKT M16, and when i got to use it, it was all over, the old Buck is now in the knife drawer, and it's either the M16's or the Buck 327 for everything, and the 327 for hiking, backed up by a kershaw leek, or an old buck rubber handled fixed blade that weighs 3oz. and is sharp enough to shave with