Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Brasslite Turbo II-D Backpacking Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Corcoran
(WalksInDark) - F
Brasslite Turbo II-D Backpacking Stove on 09/29/2008 17:04:00 MDT Print View

I am a newbie backpacker who wants to "lighten my load" when I am by myself (year round) or with one other person in the Summer.

Having looked at a bunch of alcohol stoves I have tentatively decided to go with the Brasslite Turbo II-D Backpacking Stove. However I have a few questions:

1) Is it worth while to get the stainless steel stand extensions?
2) What would the best size plus material to use for a wind screen.
3) What size pot would allow me to store the brasslite plus the windscreen inside?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

WalksInDark

P.S. In winter my Bro and I split the weight of a white gas stove, so the Brasslite stove is just for my lighter weight outings.

Edited by WalksInDark on 09/29/2008 17:23:54 MDT.

Steve Sands
(nornicotine) - F
Brasslite on 12/04/2008 22:39:21 MST Print View

Paul,
I have the Brasslite Turbo, and it works well for me.
As for your specifics:
) Is it worth while to get the stainless steel stand extensions?
Probably not needed...I don't use them.
2) What would the best size plus material to use for a wind screen.
Heavy duty tinfoil. Take a sheet, fold in half, and then fold to make a pentahedron or hexahedron which will fit around your pot. One sheet will last for multiple trips if you use a little care..
3) What size pot would allow me to store the brasslite plus the windscreen inside?
I just recently bought a Ti pot, from MountainGear. I can't remember exactly which one (and its not handy) but it was about 4" in diameter, and ~4" high. The brasslite fits perfectly inside.

I haven't tried to use the simmer ring, BTW....just pour the fuel in and go. Used it in cold weather (~40 F) with rain/sleet/snow in Kings Canyon, with no issues.