Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fuel Availability (Africa, Middle East)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Fuel Availability (Africa, Middle East) on 09/28/2008 03:13:05 MDT Print View

This may seem a bit random,

but does anyone have any idea of the availability of Methylated Spirits (near 100% alcohol) in Africa and the Middle East...particularly Kenya, Ethiopia, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria...

?

Cheers,

Adam

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Fuel Availability (Africa, Middle East) on 09/28/2008 07:01:27 MDT Print View

Since Islam forbids alcohol, I think you may have a tough time finding it in that part of the world. My two cents is only speculation. You'd get better details from someone who is or has been there.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
(inaki) - MLife

Locale: Iberia highlands
Re: Re: Fuel Availability (Africa, Middle East) on 09/29/2008 06:20:22 MDT Print View

Islam forbids drinking alcohol but not burning it. You can definitely find burning alcohol in Morocco. No idea about the areas mentioned though. Muslim countries can be very different from each other.

René Enguehard
(ahugenerd) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland
Re: Re: Fuel Availability (Africa, Middle East) on 09/30/2008 10:50:50 MDT Print View

I would tend to concur that burning alcohol will be available, even in Muslim countries. Denatured alcohol is purposely made to be toxic to humans so that it can pass international boundaries without being subject to the regulations and duties of drinking alcohol. Therefore, since it is toxic, I would assume it is available in Muslim countries. Most of these countries will sell drinkable alcohol to foreigners as well. YMMV

Shannon Michaels
(shannon1989) - F
Alcohol in the Middle East on 11/25/2008 13:11:21 MST Print View

I currently reside in Egypt, and although they sell their own version of alcohol burners, it was difficult to find alcohol. I was finally directed to some red alcohol, which doesn't burn as cleanly as the denatured variety that I could buy in the states. They looked perplexed when I inquired, and finally said...."you mean.....cohol?" Maybe that is how they hear it from us Americans. He gave me the Arabic/Egyptian word for it, but I cannot recall it. This red stuff works for all intents and purposes, and I bought a nice brass burner (with a wick) for Arabic coffee to go with it.. :) Just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. I know...... "duh"

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Alcohol in the Middle East on 11/25/2008 16:47:41 MST Print View

Hi Shannon,
"cohol" or, more accurately "kuhul" (with the breathy "h" found in Arabic) is the Arabic word for alcohol(al kuhul, from which the English word is derived). But in general use it refers to the drinking variety, especially when a foreigner uses the word. Your best bet would be to ask for denatured alcohol at a pharmacy