Y'all are insanely creatve
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ray Crampton
(rcrampton) - F

Locale: Creedmoor, NC
Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 06:31:57 MDT Print View

I sometimes wonder if this is actually a group of ex-cons that learned how to make the most out of what was available in a 6' x 8' jail cell.

I can imagine you're walking down the trail and there's any old piece of trash on the side... say... a tennis ball can. Your first thought is - geez, some crazy nut carried this thing all the way up this hill and then left it on the side of the trail! Not only that, but maybe 100 hikers have walked by it and left it there. This is nuts!

You're not thinking of litter or inconsiderate people. You're wondering how anyone could pass by a perfectly good tortilla container that you could in fact also store water, first aid supplies, a telescope, camera monopod, and start fires using magnification of the suns rays.

In fact, before you arrived there was just a tennis ball can. After you left the can is gone and there's a pile of 8 pieces of gear from your backpack that you threw on the ground which you no longer needed after you picked it up.

I can imagine being in a shelter and one of you keeps staring at me. About midnight your friend holds me down and you proceed to forcibly pull my belly button lint out and make a run for it down the trail because you think it's a better, lighter emergency firestarter than an esbit tablet!

"Did you see how greasy that guy was? This thing will burn for 3 minutes, easy!"

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 07:24:58 MDT Print View

I sometimes wonder if this is actually a group of ex-cons that learned how to make the most out of what was available in a 6' x 8' jail cell.

6' x 8' cell? No self respecting ultralighter would need more than 3' x 7' (with a 2.5' ceiling height. he-he

Other than that, I think you've penned the best and most concise profile of ultralighters I've ever read. Thanks!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 08:10:06 MDT Print View

"You're wondering how anyone could pass by a perfectly good tortilla container that you could in fact also store water, first aid supplies, a telescope, camera monopod, and start fires using magnification of the suns rays."

LOL! I needed that...thanks. :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 08:24:05 MDT Print View

"Did you see how greasy that guy was? This thing will burn for 3 minutes, easy!"

ha! now THATS funny! you gotta love it

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 10:39:54 MDT Print View

Ray, you need to write a guide on ultralight techniques, maybe you can get Mike McLelland to illustrate it. Should be a huge success!

Loved your post!

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 11:00:25 MDT Print View

lol! thanks for the laugh.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Y'all are insanely creative on 09/16/2008 11:25:07 MDT Print View

LOL! The only thing you got wrong Ray, was the leaving behind of 8 pieces of gear. A true UL hiker would have used the gear to create a fire for a 'cook-up', thus being able to pour out 20g worth of fuel! :)

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/16/2008 20:24:21 MDT Print View

ULers are opportunists like prisoners or hobos. And LNTers travel like fugitives on the run or a patrol on deep recon. Interesting images. And true. Maybe we should cross-fertilize with those other subcultures. You first.

Andy Bailey
(AndyBailey) - F

Locale: The Great Plains
mixing subcultures on 09/18/2008 09:33:24 MDT Print View

Ask every hiker you meet on the trail "You're not one of THEM, are you?" Proceed to tell the bewildered hiker that "They are out to get me, watching my every move."

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: mixing subcultures on 09/18/2008 18:08:05 MDT Print View

I've been to jail, and you are so right you might not know it. We used to make ramen in the sink with hot tap water. OG no cook meal

Edited by hellbillylarry on 09/18/2008 18:08:36 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/28/2008 13:48:13 MDT Print View

I think that is the funniest thing I have read on this website. It can only be so funny because it's sooo close to the truth! Oh man, the times I've sat around camp watching other (un-enlightened) campers,shaking my head at what they carry (or don't carry) makes it all the more funny.

Ray Crampton
(rcrampton) - F

Locale: Creedmoor, NC
Re: Y'all are insanely creatve on 09/29/2008 19:23:01 MDT Print View

Glad you guys enjoyed the post. I make jokes with my wife all the time referring to this forum. If we walk through the mall I'll note some rediculous dual-use idea.

Like a shirt from the big & tall store eliminates the need for pants and underwear. It also lets you pee while you run down the trail adding to your miles, reducing pounds of food per mile. A long enough shirt can be torn throughout the week to use as toilet paper. Tear some clean shirt off and swallow it once a day and you may not need toilet paper at all. Tear off one sleeve to use as a bandana. Soak the other sleeve in vaseline to put on chapped lips, or tear some off as a fire starter.

OK, we just need them to make tall shirts from Tyvek and it's a done deal!

If this was a forum for lightweight cycling I think we'd all agree to go to a unicycle with lightweight tires and only one pedal.

Edited by rcrampton on 09/29/2008 19:24:01 MDT.

Michael Mangold
(mkmangold) - F
double doody on 10/12/2008 00:03:12 MDT Print View

Here's double duty for you. Not only can you do what nature demands, but you can, oh, never mind...
I caught this at a Cub Scout meeting of all places...A HOLE!

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
RE: "Y'all are insanely creatve" on 10/12/2008 05:29:57 MDT Print View

Very creative, and a little scary, as others have attested.

Edited by djjmikie on 10/12/2008 17:31:03 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: RE: "Y'all are insanely creatve" on 10/12/2008 10:34:21 MDT Print View

I made a shank out of the handle of my toothbrush. Now I don't need to carry a knife.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: RE: "Y'all are insanely creatve" on 10/12/2008 17:17:34 MDT Print View

...and handy for close in work if caught in a fight while brushing your teeth.

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Speaking of prisons ... on 10/12/2008 19:10:22 MDT Print View

Nothing better then the prison issue "finger cot" tooth brush ... JUST 1.4 grams (0.049 oz.) Can't use it to poke a bears eye out but it sure is light for a tooth brush! And yes ... I really use them !!

Finger cot tooth brush

Edited by kegelhoff on 10/12/2008 19:12:51 MDT.

Joseph Jacaruso
(CaptainJac) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: mixing subcultures on 10/12/2008 20:25:39 MDT Print View

>I've been to jail, and you are so right you might not know it. We used to make ramen in the sink with hot tap water. OG no cook meal<

In college we cooked hot dogs the same way.

Edited by CaptainJac on 10/12/2008 20:28:59 MDT.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Re: Re: Re: mixing subcultures on 09/13/2009 23:31:13 MDT Print View

What's scary and one ups the sink is the toilet. And yes I've seen it done... the only advantage is the easy clean up.

And no, before,anyone asks I didn't partake of that meal.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: mixing subcultures on 09/14/2009 12:40:26 MDT Print View

I thought everybody knew the dorm method for hot dogs involves a lamp cord and two metal forks? Sheesh, what are they teaching our kids these days? :-)

Fun thread!

Cheers,

Rick

>In college we cooked hot dogs the same way.