<div>Ssimg_3919 </div>
<div>0.3mm*92mm diameter 2g
詳細なデータはまだ取れていませんが、時間差は大きいです。

私は、燃料節約と沸騰時間短縮の切り札になると考えています。

日本料理では、落し蓋、と呼ばれている、木製の蓋を
鍋の中に落として使います。
煮物の味がとても良く滲みこみ、美味しいです!

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=vzVdy9rKlfo

Edited by JSBJSB on 09/07/2008 09:15:13 MDT.

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 09/07/2008 09:35:06 MDT Print View

Yukio-sama,
Good thinking! This will be more resilient than the aluminum foil that many people use.
After watching the video, I searched and found "food grade" silicone sheets here: http://www.rubbercal.com/Silicone_FDA.html
Keep up the good work.
Chris

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 09/07/2008 09:47:32 MDT Print View

Very smart thanks Yukio

Now searching for the silicone sheets in Europe.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 09/07/2008 10:09:20 MDT Print View

simply brilliant idea! thanks for sharing.

Casey Cardwell
(Niles) - MLife

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon
Re: Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 09/07/2008 10:24:28 MDT Print View

I've never seen this before. How well does it reduce boiling times? Does tinfoil deform?

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 09/07/2008 10:47:39 MDT Print View

Clever indeed!

Casey, IIRC a tight pot lid or a layer of oil atop the water yields an energy savings on the order of 30% (by reducing evaporative heat loss).

I'd welcome a more accurate value than that provided by my memory :-)

Yukio Yamakawa
(JSBJSB) - F

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN
関心を寄せて頂き、ありがとう! on 09/07/2008 11:24:53 MDT Print View

Than expected, on relief from the heat of the water.
Feathers as well as sleeping bags, air layer is formed by the trap someone.
That, I think the effect is going up.
Multistage able to devise and better.
And, like pan, arms stretched out and
Easy to treat.
Is unsuitable for cooking elaborate.
Large-diameter pot, the effect should be even larger.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: 関心を寄せて頂き、ありがとう! on 09/07/2008 15:20:15 MDT Print View

You guys are kidding us right???????

Had me going there for awhile Yukio. I can see that big smile on your face =)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 13:57:05 MST Print View

Yukio,

I would like to get some of the 0.3mm silicone material you used in this experiment. Can you give me the specification for the type of material you used?

Thank you very much.

Denis Hazlewood

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 14:04:56 MST Print View

Google 'silicone rubber sheet': there are tons of suppliers on the web.

cheers

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 14:20:32 MST Print View

Did I read that right? 2 grams? I never really weighed a square of aluminum foil, but I'd imagine about the same weight? Minus the increase in efficiency...hmmm...so maybe if I used something like this, with a Featherfire in a Ti-Tri cone and a Titan kettle...

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 14:30:30 MST Print View

Brad,
I'm investigating using this stuff. It's got to float, hence the light weight. I don't know if aluminum foil will work. Worth a try to see.

Do you only get on BPL at work?

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 14:39:13 MST Print View

I had success with a circle cut from a freezer bag. I assume this is safe because the plastic shouldn't get significantly hotter than when boiling water is poured into the bag.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 14:46:37 MST Print View

Denis,
Yeah, I'm pretty much on BPL when I'm at work... Does that tell you how much down-time I've had lately? Sometimes on days off, though usually if I'm in project mode or something.

I wasn't originally thinking of floating the Al, but maybe that would work, too. Interesting stuff.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 15:13:44 MST Print View

Great Idea!

I currently use a floating Reflectix lid. It is efficient, but the edge is a food trap and it sometimes takes a quirt or two of water to get it clean.

Next consider two or more sheets of thinner silicone bonded at the edges to provide air gaps and more insulation.

Verrry interesting.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 15:34:41 MST Print View

This is crazy, and I don't get it. What stops steam from escaping on the sides?

Why is this a better idea than aluminum foil on the top of the pot? Or is it just a different and interesting idea?

Definitely interesting!
Doug

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 15:35:08 MST Print View

wax paper will work. It can be used as a substitute for a Japanese drop lid, which typically is made from cedar.

Doug,

I think Yukio is adapting or using the idea of a Japanese drop lid. These are common in Japanese cooking for simmering of dishes. They are excellent in that they keep the heat in and allow cooking of delicate ingredients without having them roll around with lots of movement. Items at the top will cook better too. They also have the advantage that you don't get boil over. There is a small amount of steam that will escape out the sides but it is a small amount. Not really sure what effect it would have on boil times though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otoshibuta

Edited by dag4643 on 12/19/2008 15:49:32 MST.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 15:42:12 MST Print View

Informal test just performed.

Stove: Snow Peak Giga Stove - Stainless GS-100A

Wind Screen: Snow Peak Titanium Bowl (modified)

Pot: BPL Firelite SUL550 (Ti spoke bail installed)

Water: 2 cups from tap. Temp: 53°F. Room Temp: 65°

Timing: Casio quartz stopwatch.

Test No.1: Above rig with aluminum foil disk lying on top of water (no pot lid). Boil time 0:5:37.

Test No.2: Above rig without aluminum foil disk (no pot lid). Boil time 0:06:05.

Test No.3: Above rig without aluminum foil disk (using pot lid). Boil time: 0:05:30.

It looks like I could leave the pot lid at home and just use the aluminum foil disk. Or, as noted on this thread, a disk of polyethylene freezer bag material, which is probably more durable than the foil.

I'll probably just keep using the pot lid. I'm not as likely to lose it.

Edit: If I can locate a source of FDA 0.3mm (0.015") silicone sheet, similar to the type Yukio used, I would probably use it in conjunction with the pot lid. Why be half safe?

Edited by redleader on 12/19/2008 15:53:42 MST.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 22:12:19 MST Print View

If you are looking for silicone sheet you might look at silicone dehydrator sheets for doing fruit leathers.

I found some on eBay that look like they might work and the price is reasonable. I'm not sure if they are pure silicone or a laminate but they say they are good up to 500 F. and presumably food grade.

Just a thought.

-Mark

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dehydrator-Sheets-Flexible-Silicone-for-Sticky-Items_W0QQitemZ250304223494QQcmdZViewItem

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: silicon cover the surface of water on 12/19/2008 22:51:56 MST Print View

I found a quite thin sheet of teflon (superlight cutting board) that might work.