Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
John Muir Trail fastpack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
JMT Fastpack Training on 05/26/2009 23:54:55 MDT Print View

Interesting mix of workout routines.

Edited by asandh on 07/24/2009 23:25:22 MDT.

Jorge DeLaSierra
(DeLaSierra) - F

Locale: SoCal
John Muir Trail fastpack on 12/07/2010 17:46:42 MST Print View

Inspiring! Mark, Thank You for the report! Good job N-2-S Carlos!!

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE:RE:RE: John Muir Trail fastpack on 12/08/2010 20:31:48 MST Print View

Mark,

Thanks for posting this report. I know it was awhile ago, but it was indeed inspiring as the last poster noted. I'm planning a JMT through hike for 2011 in July. I really needed to see this. Thanks again... Oh, and Carlos, congratulations to you as well.

Kendall

Edited by socalpacker on 12/08/2010 20:45:55 MST.

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Locale: Bay Area, California
Awesome on 12/13/2010 10:51:38 MST Print View

Mark,

I'm so impressed. Guys like you make me believe we are capable of far more than we know.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Ryan Commons

Jorge DeLaSierra
(DeLaSierra) - F

Locale: SoCal
John Muir Trail fastpack on 06/13/2011 12:43:11 MDT Print View

Mark:

Following up on your old trek report; I got a couple of those Katadyn bottles for some fastpacks I went to in 2010. The bottles were very convenient. I saved lots of time and weight. I basically used one. The other one was for "just in case". However, I did think that, at 7+ oz of net weight per bottle, the 'ole Aquafina bottle/pill combo was most likely going to return to my pack. This year however, I am trying Sawyer's "Squeeze Water Filtration System". This system comes in with three different bag sizes and a filter. The system's weight is three (3)oz. That is a 4+ oz savings from the Katadyn bottles' net weight.

I'm going to try this system out in Yosemite and the TRT before heading out N2S in September.

Has anyone out there tried the Sawyer system?

jd

Bradley Jay
(standupdouble) - F
Re: Re: JMT fastpack on 12/13/2011 10:46:28 MST Print View

Just came across your post while doing research for a possible fastback of JMT next summer and went to your site. Great articles!

Thanks,

Brad
Brooklyn, NY

Philip Kovacik
(mountainjam)

Locale: Bay Area
Best Training Hike in Yosemite on 12/10/2012 23:01:39 MST Print View

Great article. I'm considering making a fast and light bid on the JMT this coming summer. Hope to use ya'll as helpful references. I did the 50+ mile Red Peak Pass loop in Yosemite in under 48 hours this past summer (it begins and ends at Glacier Point). I can think of no finer training loop yet encountered. Approximately 8-10k vertical on the first day (26 miles) and almost all level or levelish for day two. Only saw people after hiking into Washburn Lake and beyond on day two...if anyone wants deets hit me up!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Best Training Hike in Yosemite on 12/11/2012 21:02:00 MST Print View

I've done the Rea Lakes Loop 8 times now. 6 of them in one day, the other two in 2.
This is an excelent training loop.