Forum Index » Gear Deals » Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Ferren
(elitek9) - F
Huge sale on ... on 09/05/2008 09:12:49 MDT Print View

Deleted as being just a bit too far away from BPL core values.

Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor

Edited by rcaffin on 09/05/2008 16:14:05 MDT.

Slo Hiker
(SloHiker) - F

Locale: NC Foothills
Re: Huge sale on ... on 09/08/2008 13:54:05 MDT Print View

I just gotta ask ..... how could an apparel product infringe on someone's core values? The Propper brand that I'm familiar with makes military & casual/outdoor clothing ... am I missing something?

Edited by SloHiker on 09/08/2008 13:56:34 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Huge sale on ... on 09/08/2008 13:58:00 MDT Print View

I think they mean that "tactical" clothing is far from the "lightweight" mantra BPL supports.

Jeff Vince
(AC_Doctor) - F
Core Values on 09/08/2008 14:49:28 MDT Print View

Roger, could you tell me what "Core Values" I should have here???

AC

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Core Values on 09/08/2008 15:35:45 MDT Print View

> Roger, could you tell me what "Core Values" I should have here???

Quite simple. BPL's focus is on lightweight backcountry travel without machinery and with minimal impact on the environment.

Cheers

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Propper on 09/08/2008 16:15:54 MDT Print View

I wanted to ask that and didn't have the nerve. But since I am wearing my Propper pleated dress khakis here at work, I figured it was safe to post. Bet the OP uses the word "cargo" instead of that "t" word next time.

Douglas Johnson
(Sponge) - M

Locale: PNW
wow on 09/08/2008 19:30:30 MDT Print View

wow

Dustin F
(dirtt) - F

Locale: So. California
annoyed on 09/08/2008 19:45:01 MDT Print View

I am a little annoyed this post was removed before any of us could see it. It hadn't broken any rules as far as I can tell. Other than not being uber light atire or showing a profitable interest for BPL what was the reason this post was removed?

"Announcements of online & local sales, coupons, etc. Commercial posts OK, but ONLY if you are announcing a sale or coupon."

Those are the only rules I see listed for this forum and I have seen MANY other posts that arent at the "core" of our values.

I will not be renewing my subscription to this website nor will I be ordering anything else. The content has gone to crap and the rediculous moderation that exists only to serve the best interests of this profit machine have become so much that I know longer wish to support what BPL has become.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
annoyed - Tactical Clothing on 09/08/2008 20:14:32 MDT Print View

I didn't read the original post but can tell you that if you are into 'bushwacking" "Tactical Clothing"? or some of the old army stuff is the way to go.

I think it is time to "vote" Roger off the island.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
The Tactically anti core value thread on 09/08/2008 20:24:55 MDT Print View

Nothing like Canvas Duck to hold up to bushwacking.

I used an old "tactical" (Army Surplus) rucksack through 4 years of college ..... beaten and worn, but it never gave up.

Try that with a regular daypack.

Timothy Foutz
(glad777) - MLife

Locale: Virginia
Repost the link on 09/08/2008 20:42:18 MDT Print View

Repost the link. No one takes down the dozens of Steapandcheap links. Please do that. They are pointless. Some of us may want to buy some heavy duty cargo style pants to protect our tender skin when bushwhacking.

Paul Smith
(ingoti) - F

Locale: MN
thanks on 09/08/2008 22:54:20 MDT Print View

Dance around the rhetoric all you want, we all know that the difference here is the implied use of the gear. I am glad he deleted it, I don't need to be reminded of the things I backpack away from when I come here.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

annoyed - Tactical Clothing on 09/09/2008 00:27:34 MDT Print View

If anyone has the link that was posted or the company name send it to me in a PM.

Thanks.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
re deleted post on 09/09/2008 00:37:14 MDT Print View

For those who are interested, this image is taken from their Home page (with acknowledgement of course):

Home Page

However, discussion is welcome.

Cheers

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: re deleted post on 09/09/2008 00:45:36 MDT Print View

Hi Roger,
I would like to look at the web site and make up my own mind,
Thank you

twig .
(bretthartwig) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing on 09/09/2008 01:42:46 MDT Print View

I'm sure you could Google "Tactical clothing sale" if you are in the market for some cheap army surplus. Moving on......

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: re deleted post on 09/09/2008 02:03:47 MDT Print View

I'm with Roger. This site is BackpackingLIGHT. If folks want anything and everything to stick so they can decide for themselves -- then there are plenty of general backpacking / outdoor forums that they can go to.

One suggestion for the mods -- when deleting a thread, it's probably better just to delete it entirely -- and maybe PM a friendly reminder/explanation to the OP. Methinks the way it is now just makes the original poster look bad in a very prolonged way.

Edited by ben2world on 09/09/2008 02:22:45 MDT.

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing on 09/09/2008 04:18:35 MDT Print View

Contact your local military recruiter. Not only can they get you access to a supply of tactical clothing, but they pay you to play with all the neat little tactical toys too!

Slo Hiker
(SloHiker) - F

Locale: NC Foothills
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ..... on 09/09/2008 06:48:53 MDT Print View

My initial gut reaction was (and continues to be ...) that this product/product line was somehow offensive to someone and was deleted in the spirit of PC.

If all of the "irrelevant" postings were removed from this site (and most other forums, by the way ...) there wouldn't be nearly as much to look at here!

If I can weed through the countless posts from the posers without having bad dreams, perhaps one could just move on to something else if "tactical" doesn't sit well with your personal sense of right and wrong .... or your notions of appropriateness.

Lastly, I have no intention of getting into a semantics contest with anyone, but "tactical" is no more or less ambiguous than "lightweight".

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing on 09/09/2008 07:03:37 MDT Print View

WTF Roger, Did you even look at their site? I did and found nothing offensive. Granted they don't sell anything that could be considered ultralight, but neither do a lot of other links that get posted here.