Forum Index » Chaff » Walk less, buy more?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 11:02:40 MDT Print View

Is it just me, or does anyone else do this? I'm injured at present and can't get out on the hills. I find myself internet surfing and shopping, and buying more outdoor stuff than i really need! Everything shouts buy me!
Is this a form of compensating? :)

Max Hoagland
(maxhoagland) - F
Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 11:19:01 MDT Print View

I suggest reading a book, or watching a movie and not spending your time on this website. Essentially, this website (whether it is intending to or not) is a massive advertising campaign to get you to buy lightweight gear.

Just think, if this website wasn't here, you probably would lack a whole lot of knowledge relating to lightweight backpacking. You might still be carrying a 20 pound pack!

If you can't tear yourself away from your past habit of checking the recent posts five times a day (like me) than just look at trip reports and their pictures. Don't look at gear reviews and posts about lighter gear.

And if you find yourself walking by an outdoor store, just walk in and gaze at all the exciting posters! They will totally fill the void of not hiking, without suggesting that you buy products (although some of the posters have brands on them). You can also just talk to the clerks, providing that they're not that busy, and talk about both of your last hiking trips.

I am Max and I approve these techniques!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 11:29:43 MDT Print View

Hey Max. I think those gear shops have some form of sensor that can recognise a frustrated hiker. My wallet seems to have a mind of its own! :)
Hi, my names Mike........

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 12:29:41 MDT Print View

>I find myself internet surfing and shopping, and buying more outdoor stuff than i really need! Everything shouts buy me!
Is this a form of compensating? :)

I think that it surely is, and I experience the same phenomenon. I think that a large part of gear buying obsession comes from sitting at home dreaming about the trail rather than being on the trail and thinking X or Y about the shortcomings of some piece of gear. Most of the problems that I've run into with my gear on the trail I've been able to deal with by modifying the gear or adapting my technique.

For me, trail use sets a clear standard for gear - the less you notice it, the better of a job it's doing. When sitting at home, however, it's easy for a mind to artificially fixate on small weight or feature gains that only a DIFFERENT and MORE EXPENSIVE piece of gear offers.

I also think that the use of forums like this is in some way a substitute for being on the trail or chatting with buds about great trips or useful pieces of gear. Insofar as it compliments actual hiking and interaction with real people, I think that it's of real benefit. If one allowed it to REPLACE actual hiking etc. and interacting with real people, I think that would be a big mistake.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 16:13:16 MDT Print View

Hi Mike

> Everything shouts buy me!
I understand the problem. The solution is to start making your own gear ... :-)

Cheers

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 17:41:46 MDT Print View

>I understand the problem. The solution is to start making your own gear ... :-)

Hmmm, the only time something shouts out to me to "make me" is when what I want isn't available to buy. More often stuff shouts out to me to "modify me", or make me if nothing close is available commercially. I suspect if I didn't have a full time 'other' job, I would find a lot more stuff calling out to "make me". It's a pretty satisfying way to aquire gear that suits your needs, but I wouldn't want the time spent making gear to replace any time I might spend walking and using gear!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 19:37:33 MDT Print View

Everything shouts buy me!

BUY! BUY! BUY!

It's OK.

Max Hoagland
(maxhoagland) - F
Re: Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 22:02:03 MDT Print View

Buying things is not OK!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Walk less, buy more? on 09/04/2008 23:34:27 MDT Print View

My original point, was that this doesn't seem to happen so much when i'm not injured.
I used to be a fanatical runner, but had to give that up due to a long term injury. For years, all i seemed to see was folk jogging, and had to fight this urge to shout obscenities at them as they went past! Now i just mutter to myself. Am i turning into my dad? :)

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/05/2008 06:11:02 MDT Print View

Am i turning into my dad?

Absolutely!

Resistance is futile

Max Hoagland
(maxhoagland) - F
Re: Re: Walk less, buy more? on 09/05/2008 08:33:02 MDT Print View

Resistance in NOT FUTILE!

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
"Walk less, buy more?" on 09/05/2008 10:14:41 MDT Print View

The comment to "make your own gear" took the words out of my mouth, but also: Make your own backpacking food. Many great meals and bars can be assembled, dehydrated, and frozen ahead of time so when it's time to hike, the food is ready to go.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: "Walk less, buy more?" on 09/05/2008 12:09:31 MDT Print View

Concept: don't buy, make your own...

Merino UL shirt - or better...
Raise your own sheep

Trail food from bulk - or better...
Grow your own food - or better...
Make your own seeds

Reality: with all things we consume, some assembly required - either you do it or somebody else does it. If you feel good making something yourself that doesn't mean someone else should feel bad for buying theirs.

When you make your own gear - where did your material come from? did you use electricity? did you get info from a web site?

SELF-SUFFICIENCY is no longer possible for humans, pets, rodents, etc. The hen and the egg - what came first? : )

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Re: "Walk less, buy more?" on 09/05/2008 12:31:00 MDT Print View

>The hen and the egg - what came first?

If you mean 'any' egg then obviously egg came into existence much before birds did.
But if by egg you means hen's egg then hen came first. Dude, it was evolution.

Peter Atkinson
(sewing_machine) - MLife

Locale: Yorkshire, England
spend spend spend on 09/05/2008 13:07:06 MDT Print View

Mike

Chuffing fine chaff you have started.

I do lots of fell running and am not injured but still buy too much and, what is very very scary, have asked for a sewing machine for christmas so I can make my own gear.

I am a stereotype: help me!

(Actually I have asked my son to lock all my credit cards in his safe; he has a safe cos I eat all his chocolate so my parents bought him it; so maybe it's just down to self-control, and clearly I have very little.... let's leave it there eh!).

Edited by sewing_machine on 09/05/2008 13:08:13 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: "Walk less, buy more?" on 09/05/2008 13:23:11 MDT Print View

Dude, it was evolution.

hen
hen egg
fastfood
high cholesterol
pharmaceuticals
diet
hiking
backpacking
backpacking light
hen -ry shires tarptent

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: spend spend spend on 09/05/2008 13:30:49 MDT Print View

have asked for a sewing machine for christmas so I can make my own gear

Oh my God! I just flashbacked to the movie 'Apocalypse Now' when Kurtz said "The horror... the horror..."

Peter Atkinson
(sewing_machine) - MLife

Spend spend spend on 09/05/2008 13:44:19 MDT Print View

George, I wish I understood that!

But, my partner and son are both horrified by the 'sewing machine' thought (if that is the correct interpretation of your thread!).

If I had a sewing machine I know I would have cotton connected fingers.

Edited by sewing_machine on 09/05/2008 13:44:59 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Spend spend spend on 09/05/2008 13:58:14 MDT Print View

PA,

My wife has a sewing machine and years of sewing experience. When I first began backpacking light, I tried to learn how to sew. My plan was to make most of my lightweight gear.

She tried to teach me, but always ended up doing most of the sewing. She, in a friendly but serious manner, told me that she had done enough gear. Now I buy.

I think it would be incredible to be able to master a sewing machine. It just wasnt to be for me.

The 'horror' was just an exaggerated attempt at comedy from my jungle war sewing experience. My uncle used to always say that if you have to explain a joke, then it was not funny. My apologies.

Peter Atkinson
(sewing_machine) - MLife

Spend etc and sewing machines on 09/05/2008 14:41:05 MDT Print View

George

No need to apologise! I am (1) clumsy and (2) all fingers and thumbs; a sewing machine + me = blood and pain! So I think your experience is a timely reminder!

I think I will stick to my card (if I can get it out of my son's safe), unless Roger has some hot tips as to sewing machine mastery?