Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/04/2008 10:52:13 MDT Print View

Would you prefer to purchase one with a hood vs without? What if it cost $12 more?
Please chime in.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
No Hood, I wear glasses on 09/04/2008 11:05:09 MDT Print View

Since I wear glasses, I find that the hoods on most jackets does nothing to shield my glasses from rain drops and therefore has no value to me.

Sometimes I use my windshirt as a light rain jacket and I do wear it under my poncho to provide a coverage for my arms and for any rain that might blow in through the sides of the poncho.

I use a Sunday Afternoon hat for sun and rain protection...with its wide and long brim, it provides me the rain protection for my glasses.

Having said that, my OR windshirt does have a hood...the next one that I get will be a Golite Windshirt, which does not have a hood.

Hope that helps.

-Tony

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not? on 09/04/2008 11:24:50 MDT Print View

I use both. I like my windproofs to be just that. Windproof. I don't like them to be very water-resistant, as that affects breathability. I don't use a windshirt as a lightweight rain jacket.
As my windproofs have little water resistance, i prefer a hood for walking, then i can throw my rain jacket on top when needed.
A hoodless windproof is better for cycling.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Hooded on 09/04/2008 11:30:58 MDT Print View

I would prefer a hooded windshirt, but my favorite windshirt (montbell) does not offer one. I use a windshirt for warmth and occasionally as a bugshirt. Having a hood means I don't have to be as careful with my headnet.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Hooded on 09/04/2008 11:47:30 MDT Print View

The hood doesn't add much weight but offers more versatility, in my opinion. If it is truly put to use to fend off the wind, the more solid material of an integrated hood is more protective than the separate combination of a jacket and hat, which will usually leave an unprotected area in the upper neck.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/04/2008 11:57:09 MDT Print View

Definitely hooded. I would not buy one with it.

If your core is getting cool enough to demand wind protection, your head and neck need it too.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/04/2008 12:25:32 MDT Print View

With hood... ideally a hood can be tucked out of the way. Then the wind really kicks up it would be hard to under-estimate how much the hood helps, especially when layered over the typical wool or fleece hat which is air permeable. The hood adds a great deal of versatility.

--mark

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/04/2008 13:11:46 MDT Print View

Hooded. Even for twelve bucks.

joe newton
(holdfast)

Locale: Bergen, Norway
RE: "Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not" on 09/04/2008 13:15:37 MDT Print View

Hooded, preferably rolled into the collar like my perfect Montane Lite-speed.

Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
Hooded on 09/04/2008 13:36:12 MDT Print View

Hooded, is always the best and worth the weight

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
RE: "Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not" on 09/04/2008 13:51:47 MDT Print View

I have both and prefer my hooded Patagonia Hoodini for Winter and the shoulder seasons...even when wearing a wool or fleece balaclava the addition of a hood sure adds to warmth by blocking the wind and trapping the heat!

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: RE: "Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not" on 09/04/2008 14:11:17 MDT Print View

Hooded for sure. I use the Houdini and the Lite-Speed, along with a stretch balaclava. Though it's worth noting that if the weather was going to be consistently hot I might leave the windshirt at home and just layer my BPL Trekking Shirt over a merino baselayer if extra warmth is needed. But I'd hate to be without a windshirt for most of my trips, esp since my raingear is a rain cape and windpants.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Hood! on 09/04/2008 15:28:15 MDT Print View

Just adding to the overwhelming majority, here--definitely with hood. If you need something to cut the wind, reduce heat loss, whatever, you lose a ton of heat through your head. Hoods make sense and add perhaps .25 ounce--ie, nothing. As for hoods and glasses, I wear glasses and most of my upper layers have hoods. I've never had a hood make my glasses get more drenched. I also don't wear windbreakers for rain. But if it's a real problem, I wear a floppy-brimmed hat under the hood. Bottom line, there's no penalty for having a hood. The price difference is insignificant. You gain versatility.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/04/2008 15:55:45 MDT Print View

Hooded, absolutely. But withOUT any collar. I don't like the collars which the hood can be stuffed into.
I wear a broad-brimmed hat, either inside the hood or outside. Works wonderfully.

Dave Weston
(WSUWESTON) - F

Locale: NW
Hooded on 09/04/2008 15:59:35 MDT Print View

No special pocket to put it in, just the hood

Jason Griffin
(JGriffinRN) - F
no hood on 09/04/2008 16:06:19 MDT Print View

I prefer no hood on a wind jacket. if it's cold enough for me to need protection for my neck and head then chances are I'm wearing a lightweight hooded down sweater rather than my windshirt. A hood made of thin paperweight material is of little value to me; if the wind is cold enough that I'd want to use a windshirt hood I should be using a hood or hat that prevents radiant heat loss as well.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Hooded on 09/04/2008 16:42:11 MDT Print View

Hooded for sure; no hood pockets, no collars, no pockets, no fancy stuff...

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
RE: "Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not" on 09/04/2008 18:12:33 MDT Print View

Definitely hooded! Love my Montane LiteSpeed. If it's cold enough for a windshirt, then it's cold enough for a hood! Mine is a breathable windshirt, not a rain jacket.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/04/2008 18:57:56 MDT Print View

I go hoodless, carry a hat, and wear my hair/beard longish for wind and sun protection.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not on 09/05/2008 06:57:18 MDT Print View

Hooded, pullover, no pockets. I use the GoLite Ether.

I would replace my Ether with a Brawny windshirt from BPL if it came in either red or black. The Brawny windshirt is simple and clean with useful features.