Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DIY Instant Salsa
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
DIY Instant Salsa on 08/29/2008 12:01:58 MDT Print View

Thanks to KathleenB who asked this morning about using dehydrated items to whip up some quick and light salsa on the trail. She caught my interest and off to the kitchen I went to see what I could make. I based the salsa's ingredients on items from Harmony House Foods. I try to keep most of their items in stock in my kitchen - they are fantastic for backpacking.

DIY Salsa:

In a snack size bag put:
1/4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (air dried)
1 Tbsp diced dried shallots or onions
1 Tbsp tomato powder
2 tsp diced dried jalapenos
3 packets True Lime powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp diced dried garlic
1/4 tsp ground pepper
pinch of salt

Add 3/4 cup room temperature water, stirring well and seal tightly. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour to rehydrate. Knead the bag gently every 10 minutes or so.

Can be sped up by using warm (not boiling) water.

Makes 1 cup salsa. This is a considerable amount, you may want to halve the recipe. For spicier salsa up the jalapenos to a Tablespoon. This would work well with part of the tomatoes replaced with diced dried bell peppers or freeze dried mango.

~Sarah

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
salsa! on 08/29/2008 13:32:53 MDT Print View

thanks, SarBar. If you can use Serrano peppers (available near you?) that will add a different, spicier texture. And where I come from, `1 cup of salsa is not enough... better make 2 cups!

I have used some of your freezer bag recipes and want to thank you for your input. great stuff.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: salsa! on 08/29/2008 13:36:07 MDT Print View

Yeah, for me as well ;-) I love salsa!

Then I thought....normal people might only want a 1/4 cup for a burrito....not like me who dumps 1/2 cup on my burrito ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Salsa Photo on 08/29/2008 14:07:22 MDT Print View

I meant to add it and forgot:

Photobucket

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
DIY Salsa on 08/29/2008 18:50:53 MDT Print View

Thanks, Sarah. I made it this evening, and it is excellent! It's nice to have a salsa that is lightweight. I will probably take the full recipe and reconstitute only the amount that appeals to me at the time.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: DIY Salsa on 08/29/2008 19:17:39 MDT Print View

Btw...the reason behind the sugar being added? I have noticed that just a pinch of it seems to neutralize the sharpness of tomatoes - in salsa and spaghetti sauce. It plays well with heat and allows for less sodium as well :-)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
sugar in salsa on 08/29/2008 19:28:59 MDT Print View

thats a good tip, and I do the same... also add a touch of apple cider vinegar

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: sugar in salsa on 08/29/2008 21:41:50 MDT Print View

Good point! I have vinegar powder....I might try that out :-)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
a good idea on 08/30/2008 03:28:53 MDT Print View

A good idea Sarah, especially for those that don't have a dehydrator.

Another way to have salsa on the trail is really simple. Just buy or make your favorite salsa and spread it about 1/4 inch thick on lined dehydrator trays. You can even do this with leftover salsa. Salsa is very versatile on the trail.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Leftover Salsa? on 08/30/2008 07:21:25 MDT Print View

What the heck is that?! There is no such thing in my world. lol.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Leftover Salsa? on 08/30/2008 08:18:31 MDT Print View

Lol...me either!

Synchro always asks me if I am having a bowl of cold soup or salsa ;-)

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Re: DIY Instant Salsa on 10/06/2008 17:35:50 MDT Print View

Sarah,
THANKS for the great Salsa !!!
I just returned from a 9 day trip with five guys covering 90 miles in the Sierra's and we added the salsa to a couscous Mexican burrito mix for lunch on three day. Best part was that we were able to get everything for nine days into a bear canister with some creative work using all these great recipes you and a few others have provided! Everyone loved it so much they said they would eat this all the time as part of their regular meal !!!

THANKS AGAIN !!!
Kevin

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: DIY Instant Salsa on 10/06/2008 18:00:44 MDT Print View

Thank you! :-)

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: DIY Instant Salsa on 10/06/2008 20:02:04 MDT Print View

Hi Sarah. Could you give me an idea of what "True Lime powder" is so I can find or make an alternative? Is it just dried lime juice?

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

True Lime on 10/06/2008 22:48:18 MDT Print View

It is pretty much that. They sell it in the US and Canada. Little packets and also in big shakers. They do lemon, lime and the hard to find orange. 1/4 tsp powder plus 1 Tbsp water is 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice.
You could just use dried citrus zest or pack in a lemon or lime as well :-)

Bet shipping you a few packets would be cheap ;-) They weigh almost nothing. If you ever want to try them, let me know and email me your address. I have boxes of the packets in my kitchen! I wouldn't mind slipping 10 packets or so in an envelope and letting them fly.....

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: True Lime on 10/07/2008 13:36:36 MDT Print View

Sarah

Thanks for the very kind offer. I will have a look around my food sources and see if I can find or make something similar. I just wondered if there were any other *magic* ingredients in the powder that I should be aware of. If not, I have access to a freeze dryer at work where I should be able to make my own.