USGS Map Locator
Display Avatars Sort By:
John S.
(jshann) - F
USGS Map Locator for free topo maps on 08/28/2008 21:49:52 MDT Print View

Here is another way (in addition to libremaps.org) to get free topo maps. At the USGS store, click on Map Locator (four products down) and follow the directions on the right side of the page. It will allow you to download free quadrangles in high resolution pdf.

Edited by jshann on 08/28/2008 22:00:17 MDT.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
swweet thanks on 08/28/2008 22:57:23 MDT Print View

That is a good one. Thank you!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: USGS Map Locator for free topo maps on 08/29/2008 18:05:51 MDT Print View

Hi John,
I just tried to access the USGS store and got a Code 403 Access Denied(You do not have access to this resource) message. Any ideas, or maybe I'm on the cyber equivalent of the "NO FLY" list? Ay Carramba!!

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
403 on 08/29/2008 18:23:41 MDT Print View

Tom, it could be that someone who previously leased the IP you now have from your ISP got it banned at the site.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: USGS Map Locator for free topo maps on 08/29/2008 18:31:47 MDT Print View

On my mac os 10.3.9 with firefox 2.0, it won't redirect properly so I get an error, but when trying again it goes through. This happens everytime so far. My work Windows pc has no problem.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
3P Cookies on 08/29/2008 19:09:16 MDT Print View

You have to enable third party cookies when using firefox.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: USGS Map Locator for free topo maps on 08/29/2008 20:14:53 MDT Print View

John,
I'm puzzled then, because I'm on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and use Internet Explorer. Go figure. My darker angels say it's Homeland Security...Now I'm getting paranoid, because I'm supposed to fly down to California for a backpacking trip next week. Gulp.
Chris,
How would I go about finding out if that is the case? My ISP is AOL.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: USGS Map Locator for free topo maps on 08/30/2008 07:32:52 MDT Print View

This site has always worked well for me both at home on Windows service pack 3 with Internet Explorer 7 and at work on whatever windows antequated stuff the administator will allow.

BTW, the add-on toolbar, GeoPDF, is worthwhile. It will give you coordinates in any immaginable system you select and you can measure distance and area in any units, etc.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
USGS Map Locator on 08/30/2008 12:30:35 MDT Print View

There are other resources through which to access the USGS Digital Map Store. Try this one:

http://usgs01.srv.mst.edu/store3/digital_download/mapping_ap.jsp

If you're bored and want to look at some other mapping resources I have a small collection of links at del.icio.us:

http://delicious.com/sharaldson/maps

I'd welcome suggestions - perhaps since I provided response to the original reason for the thread I could poach it and ask for links to other mapping resources.

Edited by sharalds on 08/30/2008 12:32:14 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: USGS Map Locator on 08/30/2008 13:06:20 MDT Print View

Works like a charm, Sam. Many thanks.
Tom