Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Fabric discolored - seam sealing silnylon

Display Avatars Sort By:
Graham Wilson
(grawil) - F
Fabric discolored - seam sealing silnylon on 08/26/2008 13:30:52 MDT Print View

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I'm using thinned sil-net and have tried both low-odor and regular varsol (mineral spirits) as solvent. Both seem to discolor the surrounding fabric. Am I being too careless with my syringe or too picky regarding the final result? I trust the bottom seams are now sealed, but they sure look ugly.

Thanks,
Graham

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Fabric discolored - seam sealing silnylon on 08/26/2008 20:26:22 MDT Print View

where the sil net was it was an off color when i sealed my tarp, but who cares it holds the water out. i'm not out in the backcountry for a beauty contest... i just used some where around 3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part sil-net. mine looked a little messy, cause i just spread it on.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Fabric discolored - seam sealing silnylon on 08/27/2008 11:37:58 MDT Print View

I used GE silicone diluted 50/50 with odorless mineral spirits. I applied it with a 1 inch foam brush. It's a little darker than the surrounding fabric, but certainly not objectionably so.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
discolored seams on 05/22/2009 00:23:43 MDT Print View

Found this old thread....
I've seam sealed a Tarptent Double Rainbow with the recommended sealant. Odd thing is, on one part of the tent, the seal is almost invisible, and on another, it is much darker than the material. Any thoughts?