Need September Presidential Traverse Clothing List
Display Avatars Sort By:
frank trotta
(budomove) - F

Locale: queens, ny
Need Advice UL September Presidential Traverse Clothing List on 08/20/2008 20:31:24 MDT Print View

Hey Everyone, I am doing the Presidential Traverse of the White Mtns with two friends on sept 13-14, and we are staying in the Lake of the Clouds Hut. We are not using any shelter since we are staying in the hut, so I just need to know what clothing I should bring. Items I already have:

Smartwool Microweight Zip T
REI John Muir 200wt fleece vest
Marmot Ion Windshirt
Golite Virga Jacket
patagonia running shorts
montrail hardrock

Should I buy new shoes? Ilove the montrail hardrock, and used them for Devils Path, but for inclement weather do I need more? I was thinking maybe I needed some sort of lightweight goretex synthetic shoe?

Frank

Edited by budomove on 08/29/2008 11:51:10 MDT.

frank trotta
(budomove) - F

Locale: queens, ny
presi traverse september footwear? on 08/25/2008 11:59:33 MDT Print View

can i use my montrail hardrocks, or should i get some goretex for potentially cold weather. Trying to limit spending, but do not want to be ill prepared.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Insulation on 08/25/2008 12:26:02 MDT Print View

I would definitely bring some type of insulating layer. I went over Washington on the AT right around the same dates last year, and it was 35 degrees with 60 mph winds on that day (also 130 miles of visibility--all the way to the ocean!).

Even if you stay at the hut, you could get caught out in a storm and have to hunker down somewhere for a few hours. You may not use it, but you should have something warm to wear.

Edited by sschloss1 on 08/25/2008 12:29:21 MDT.

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: presi traverse september footwear? on 08/25/2008 12:42:18 MDT Print View

I think that you definitely could wear your Hardrocks, especially if you will be sleeping in a hut. Just bring some extra socks. On an overnight I took on AT through NJ last December, I wore my Hardrocks w/ a liner and 2 thicker pairs of Smartwool socks. The high for the day was about 30-degrees and the average temp was in the mid 20s. Even after soaking my feet while crossing a small creek (upper Dunfield Creek for those familiar w/ the Delaware Water Gap area) I was still fairly warm and comfortable. The only time I was very cold and uncomfortable was in camp when temps went below 15-degrees and my shoes/socks still had not dried. If I had brought my insulated booties I would have been fine. The next morning I woke up to 4 inches of snow on the ground, and even then the Hardrocks were fine for the 2-hour walk back to the car. The most important thing if you bring the Hardrocks is to be sure to bring plenty of socks.

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
Pants on 09/11/2008 11:13:56 MDT Print View

Might want to consider a shell layer or leggings, windchill on Washington is in the 20's today. Has been cooling down in the Whites pretty quickly over the past week.

Have a great trip!
Jim