Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2008 Lightweight Footwear Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
2008 Lightweight Footwear Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008) on 08/19/2008 19:56:22 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

2008 Lightweight Footwear Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

Randy Brissey
(rbrissey) - M

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA
GoLite Footwear on 08/19/2008 20:50:15 MDT Print View

Thank you Carol!

I have been using a pair of SpikeTails this summer and love them. They do wear faster than my last pair(s) of shoes but they have been the most comfortable pair of shoes I have had for backpacking in the last 15 years.
I became worried that GoLite was giving up on the shoes because it has been difficult to find my next pair (Storm Dragons). I usually wear gaiters to keep crud out of the shoes so these fill the bill (so far).
I just hope the new company, New England Footwear, has a better distribution than before (GoLites are impossible to find in southern california).

thank you again Carol for the update, I thought that was going to have to go into "hoard mode". My favorite shoe of all-time was the Nike LavaDomes so now I know there will be a supply of GoLites for a while!

Randy

Edited by rbrissey on 08/19/2008 23:24:28 MDT.

Elizabeth Rothman
(erothman2) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Nike Lava Domes on 08/19/2008 22:15:27 MDT Print View

This post adds nothing of substance, but I want to tell you, it made my heart glad to read those words, Nike Lava Domes. A bit of reliving the loss when they were taken off the market, but... Until being pushed into going lightweight, I considered myself a gearaholic in recovery- choosing and amassing ultralight gear was a brief and perhaps justifiable relapse, and now I am trying to once again just say No to new gear. But your mentioning Lava Domes pulled me back to those earlier, happier times when I was young and lithe and worked at a gear shop and read catalogs like p*rn and used my wholesale privileges to the max-- and hoarded Lava Domes. Maybe my first experience with the truism that well-designed, long-lasting gear is destined to be discontinued.

Ditto Patagonia stand-up shorts. sigh.

Thanks for the memories. Now to research these cool new shoes of which you speak.........

the filter thinks that the word 'p*rn' is a profanity. That is seriously Wrong. The rise of the Puritan conspiracy...

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Heel cups? on 08/19/2008 22:29:44 MDT Print View

> especially for traversing, but a good fitting and supportive heel cup also gives a lot of stability in a low-cut trail runner.

Actually, with really light footwear I find that I don't use my heels all that much on rough terrain. The heel cup is not so important for me. More often I am on the ball of my foot.

My KT-26s have a soft sole compared to some joggers, but I don't mind a little bit of stiffness around the forefoot area. Not 'real stiff' mind you. When the sole is too stiff I can't 'feel' the ground enough, and I can't make my feet conform to the rocks etc when scrambling over rough terrain.

But things are looking up with all these new models. Thanks Will.

gdinero senior
(gmoney) - F
Rain gear? on 08/20/2008 09:27:31 MDT Print View

Uh, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the most practical application for a waterproof material that does not deteriorate breathability would be a rain jacket.

I'm referring to Hi-Tec / Ion Mask technology. Apply the nano plasma ion process to a breathable wind jacket or wind pant and should be good to go... maybe I'm just missing something here???

Edited by gmoney on 08/20/2008 09:30:02 MDT.

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Wide Feet on 08/20/2008 10:22:45 MDT Print View

I see that the Hardrock wide is being discontinued. What shoes do people with wide feet use?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Wide Feet on 08/20/2008 10:44:24 MDT Print View

I wear the trail version of the Nike Pegasus but GoLite and Inov8 have options that work for wider feet. I usually get a 10.5 EEEE but an 11 in the Nike works.

Edited by simplespirit on 08/20/2008 11:01:00 MDT.

gdinero senior
(gmoney) - F
wide feet on 08/20/2008 10:48:14 MDT Print View

i use Asolo Fugitive GTX. I have a really hard time finding wide boots that are in my size (short feet), and these fit great. They are heavier than the lightest availble boots though. My prior boot was the Nike ACG Air Tallac that was BP editor's choice a few years ago. It was much lighter (2 lbs/pair vs 3 lbs) but fell apart fairly rapidly. Some reviews...

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/fugitive-gtx/

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Wide Feet on 08/20/2008 10:55:08 MDT Print View

I've got EEs. Not super wide, but I have difficulty fitting in normal width shoes.

I have been very happy with new balance trail runners sine I got rid of my boots 10 years ago. They come in EE and EEEE. Will always recommends the 87x series, but I find the 90x series works better for me. The 90x seems a little bit more sturdy with longer lasting cushioning at the cost of an extra ounce.

I've also used the hardrock wides and prefer the less stiff new balance.

I wish there were more options in trail runners for us widefoots but I'm not aware of any.

p.s. checking the specs, the NB908 is a fraction lighter than the 874.

Edited by nschmald on 08/20/2008 11:03:23 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: 2008 Lightweight Footwear Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008) on 08/20/2008 11:21:34 MDT Print View

Thanks to all of you for an

excellent lightweight footwear roundup!

Impeccable timing for me.

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Wide Feet on 08/20/2008 11:46:57 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies. As long as I'm on the topic, does anyone make a wide mountaineering boot?

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
Re: Wide Feet on 08/20/2008 13:51:15 MDT Print View

The shoes that agree best with my wide feet are New Balance, Vasque Velocity (available in wide), and Keen shoes.

Best,
Will

Peter Macfarlane
(ptc) - F

Locale: The Scottish Highlands
Montrail on 08/20/2008 14:10:09 MDT Print View

Nice round up. I've got the Inov8 Roclite 370s on test here in the UK, nice boots, very grippy.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Hardrock Mid from Montrail. The Namche is still a favourite of mine, and the Stratos and Cirrus weren't quite there.
The brand has suffered since it's takeover, I hope that this is part of a resurgence.

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Re: Re: Wide Feet on 08/20/2008 18:22:03 MDT Print View

I saw the New Balance 908 at the OR Show and was impressed with it. It looks supportive,rugged, and grippy. It goes to the 909 this fall.

Best,
Will

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Ion Mask and Breathability on 08/20/2008 18:30:09 MDT Print View

Hi Gdinero. Yes, I agree that Ion Mask could help manufacturers create really light rainwear, and it will be really exciting when it arrives.

But footwear is also a promising application. Look at the test numbers in the Ion Mask information sheet. Ion Mask is equal in waterproofness compared to membranes and is 18 times more breathable.

The key question is how durable is it? The treatment can apparently make a mesh shoe waterproof by greatly increasing its water repellancey, but how long does it last?

Best,
Will

D LARSON
(epilektric) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Rain gear? on 08/21/2008 17:55:23 MDT Print View

"Apply the nano plasma ion process to a breathable wind jacket or wind pant and should be good to go... maybe I'm just missing something here???"

The spec sheet states that the ion-mask technology was first developed for military clothing. so maybe rain gear for the trail isn't far off. :)

Michael Church
(machurch) - F - M
Great Review! on 08/22/2008 07:35:11 MDT Print View

Thanks for the overview, Will. I particularly liked the review of the mids. My brand is Montrail because no other brand I have tried fits my feet as well as they do. I would like to see a version of the Hardrock Mid with waterproof/breathable technology for winter and rainy weather use. I am excited by the Ion Mask technology. I trust I will see a test and evaluation of this new technology on BPL soon.

gdinero senior
(gmoney) - F
Re: Rain Gear? on 08/22/2008 09:06:03 MDT Print View

Rain gear, shoes, packs, tents, sleeping bags, bivies, gloves, hats... I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together a short list of items that we use and could benefit from a technology that adds waterproof without impacting breathability. Durability and realiability are obviously considerations.

Looking forward to learning more about the range of use for the Ion Mask technology.

Randy Brissey
(rbrissey) - M

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA
Socks? on 08/22/2008 13:54:23 MDT Print View

Imagine wool socks that can't hold water!

I would love a pair of treated socks and shoes where I could just splash through streams and after 100 yards of so late they are 95% dry.

No pack cover.

Ponchos made of .8 Pertex Quantum.

A 6 ounce set of rainwear

The real questions will be "how fast will manufacturers get the fabrics in their hands? Will we see product by next summer?"

let the dreaming begin! Randy

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: Ion Mask and Breathability on 08/24/2008 23:02:53 MDT Print View

It would be great if one of these manufacturers interested in Ion Mask also runs a quarterly color magazine ...