Fixing velcro to sil-nylon
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 11:46:55 MDT Print View

Looking for some advice folks.
I want to have a strip of bug-netting attached between the inside of my Hex 3 outer, and the Hex 3 floor. This will stop crawlers and flyers. I don't want it to be a permanent fix. I'm thinking of a 8-10 inch strip of no-see-um around the base. I want to attach a ring of velcro about 6 inches up from the floor on the inside of the outer. Another ring of velcro will be attached to the side of the bathtub floor. The netting will have velcro at the top and bottom of the strip for attatching to outer and base.

What is the easiest/best way of attching velcro to the outer and floor? Sewing will be bombproof, but the stitch holes will have to be sealed. Will velcro tape stick to sil-nylon? Would it be strong enough anyway?
Any thoughts?

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 11:55:35 MDT Print View

56 feet of velcro ain't light. have you considered pasting the netting to the fly with silicone, and tucking the bottom edge under the floor? Would allow for lifting the fly for ventilation too.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 12:19:13 MDT Print View

Cheers Rog.
I guess i've not thought this through properly! I hadn't considered the amount of velcro i would need.
I'm trying to think of a way i can leave the netting behind when no bugs are around. That's why i don't want a permanent fix if i can help it. Someone posted on another thread that netting can be a problem in winter. Trying to remove it from frozen snow!
The loops at the inside bottom of the Hex, for attaching the floor, could be used to hold the netting rolled up when not needed?
More thought needed.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 12:33:36 MDT Print View

Well if you just siliconed it on, you could pull it off again for winter and resilicone it on again the following spring. Similarly, you could carry a 1/2 oz pritt stick and glue it to the inner top edge of the floor when you pitch if it's a buggy night.

Ryan Hutchins
(ryan_hutchins) - F

Locale: Somewhere out there
fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 13:57:13 MDT Print View

I recently did a similar mod to a Hut 1 shelter. I didn't use velcro though. I stitched small loops around the edge of the shelter, then attached small pieces of flat cord to the bug net (16" tall netting) then I simply tied the netting to the loops. It worked well enough, but needs a few more loops to hold the tension right.

Hut 1 w/ mosquito net

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 14:49:01 MDT Print View

That wouldn't work for me, but thanks anyway Ryan. Scottish midgies would get through those wee gaps!!!!
I want to attach the netting between the Hex 3, and the Hex 3 floor, leaving no gaps.

Ryan Hutchins
(ryan_hutchins) - F

Locale: Somewhere out there
Re: Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 14:53:47 MDT Print View

No worries. I wonder how a small zipper would work? It would be interesting to compare the weight of a small zipper to velcro. A friend of mine had some luck using sil-net to attach the sticky type velcro, I can't remember if he had to sew it as well though?

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 15:05:39 MDT Print View

Mike,

I been where you are now. I have a GoLite Hex3 and I sewed netting all the way around the base of it with velcro. I used a 16" wide strip of noseeum and simply tucked it under the floor or tyvek ground sheet, depending on what I was using at the time.

I've since removed the whole netting business because I came to the conclusion that the Hex3 was a winter tent. It excels in every way for winter use but, was really hot cave in summer and bug were problematic. In winter bugs aren't a problem so no need for netting.

I bought Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3 for summer as the inner tent is all net and we simply keep the fly at ready, just in case of a shower. It's really a large 2 person tent. BPL did a review at ... http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/big_agnes_seedhouse_sl3_tent_review.html

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 15:18:32 MDT Print View

I think you're right Michael, it probably is a winter tent. Or a Scottish summer tent! This summer has been non-existant here.
I usually use a tarp or a Terra Nova Laserlite if i'm on my own. I bring the Hex and the Hex nest if my son or daughter comes with me. I love the space in the Hex for the weight. I've got a MLD Bug Bivvy that i've used with it, but the rest of the space isn't livable due to the midges.
I'll maybe look for a lightweight net i can hang from the apex.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Fixing velcro to sil-nylon on 08/19/2008 15:21:21 MDT Print View

There's your answer Mike. Pitch a seedhouse inside the Hex 3.

:o)

David Couch
(Davidc) - F

Locale: England
Fixing netting to a Hex3. on 08/19/2008 16:15:51 MDT Print View

Hi Mike, you say "Sewing will be bombproof, but the stitch holes will have to be sealed". Is that true? If a Hex leaks 6" above the bottom edge, does that matter?
My uninformed guess is that the weight of permanently attached netting will be less than the weight of velcro for temporary attachment.