November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Klean Kanteen Filter Adaptor
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Klean Kanteen Filter Adaptor on 08/19/2008 10:57:38 MDT Print View

Okay, so I still carry a heavy ol' Katadyn Hiker water filter, haven't changed over to an Amigo-type system. If I can avoid plastics I generally do (and yes, that's an odd thing for an outdoor industry person to say, but I do still use and believe in many of our synthetics, but that's a discussion for the philosophy forum). I've started using the Klean Kanteens, but wanted the convenience of a MSR Miniworks screw-on type connection.

Basically, I just cut the bottom off a Klean Kanteen stainless cap, added a valve (so I could use just the one cap, not carry a separate adaptor), and some aluminum tubing. While I was at it, I've been frustrated by having my plastic tubing washed into the shallows by weak winds and wave action, so I added an aluminum "dirty" line. It seems to be great for sticking out a couple feet from shore in cleaner water and staying there. Weight-wise, ended up with a weight penalty of about 1.5 ounces. Would be nice to find a much lighter valve. But this was basically just a concept experiment.

Assembled Unit

Inside of cap

Working end of dirty line