Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Neo-Air on 04/10/2009 16:11:40 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/18/2013 14:05:07 MST.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Neo-Air on 04/10/2009 17:04:00 MDT Print View

Regarding noise. I was hopping between the NeoAir and my BA IAC outside today, and the noise difference between the two really isn't much. I think it's subjective. If you are coming from a BA pad, you probably won't notice, but if you are coming from closed foam, you probably will.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/10/2009 18:01:43 MDT Print View

David - The NeoAir might be dangerous in bear country.

My son said he thought the NeoAir's crinkly noise sounded like a bag of chips being eaten. He then said, I hope the bears don't think I have chips in my tent!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
NeoAir on 04/10/2009 18:17:06 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/18/2013 14:06:20 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/10/2009 21:54:37 MDT Print View

Hey EJ, the NeoAir is not the only air mattress on the market. If you can carry another 8 ounces, there are quiet, extremely comfortable alternatives. Shocking revelation, huh?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Neo-Air on 04/10/2009 22:03:39 MDT Print View

> Roger - just leave the better half at home.
Hey - her warmth is half of my sleep system!

Cheers

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Re: Re: Neo-Air on 04/10/2009 22:32:09 MDT Print View

Roger - I'd rely on my other half for warmth, but normally all she has to offer is cold feet and an ice cube ass. She'll come in handy if I ever sprain an ankle and need to make the swelling go down.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Re: Re: Re: Neo-Air on 04/10/2009 22:34:43 MDT Print View

I should also note... I set up my Lunar Duo in the back yard today and threw in the NeoAir and the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. I have have the 70D floor and the NeoAir refused to slide around while I was one it, not matter how much I tried. The BA was business as usual and would slide around plenty when provoked. On the 70D floor at least, it's definitely much less slippery.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
I want it all on 04/10/2009 22:46:03 MDT Print View

Joe, I want the plush thickness, quiet AND lightweight. I'll have to try out a NeoAir once it's in my local REI or another store, or order one now just to try out for noise. Potato chip bag noise sounds pretty loud to me.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: Re: Neo-Air on 04/10/2009 23:02:26 MDT Print View

"Roger - I'd rely on my other half for warmth, but normally all she has to offer is cold feet and an ice cube ass. She'll come in handy if I ever sprain an ankle and need to make the swelling go down"

Damn that's funny

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: I want it all on 04/10/2009 23:08:46 MDT Print View

I'll be using my new NeoAir Regular for two nights, the 17-18th. I'll take some photos and post a review when I get home. Hacked together an air pillow to deal with the two and a half inch thickness of the NeoAir. Initial testing indicate a fairly low inflation required for maximum comfort. I just hope it meets my needs for warmth as well as padding. The forecast low for next Wednesday at Hetch Hetchy is 28°. if it keeps up that low I'll carry ny new WM Ultralite overfill. If it gets to (another forecast) 41°, I'll take the NF Beeline.

I'll also be using my new Sublite for its first real backpack trip. I'm looking forward to testing a fair amount of gear this summer.

All this and hiking too. It doesn't get any better than that.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
NeoAir on the way (almost) on 04/11/2009 17:30:22 MDT Print View

Have to say a quick thanks to Brad Smyth, he picked up a regular NeoAir for me today and will ship out to Aus.

Cheers again Brad.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/11/2009 18:35:57 MDT Print View

I'm waiting for reviews, especially from side sleepers who like their air mattresses pumped up only half way, nice and cuddly and just barely keeping hip and shoulder joints off the ground, the way I use my POE insulated air mat. Denis, you sound as though you may be one of those! Maybe if I wait long enough, my local REI will finally have a demo in the store for me to check out? I suppose I could go to the big downtown Portland store, but it's either expensive (parking) or takes half a day (public transit). Anyway, I'm relying on you folks for reports. If I decide to get the thing, I don't need it until July. Weight on a 2-3 day trip is not a big deal; it's when it goes to a week or 10 days that the ounces become critical! If I do get the NeoAir, I'll probably continue to use my current POE pad for short trips anyway.

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/11/2009 18:40:40 MDT.

Dave Weston
(WSUWESTON) - F

Locale: NW
Portland REI on 04/11/2009 20:35:28 MDT Print View

Mary-
Portland did not have one on display today when I was there. Also, you can park for free in their garage.

Mark Mendell
(mmendell) - M

Locale: Midwest
New Neoair trouble on 04/11/2009 22:49:57 MDT Print View

Just finished 4 nights with one in Canyonlands.

Noise just isn't an issue. It's more comfortable than my IAC. It feels more stable, and I appreciate that it is rectangular rather than mummy shaped. My gut feeling is that it is at least as warm as the IAC.

My problem, though, is that it won't stay inflated! I'm a bit disappointed, to say the least. I haven't given it the bathtub test yet, so we'll see in the next day or so. It takes half the night, but I end up having to add another 2 or 3 puffs to get my rear end back up off of the ground. I've tried starting with the thing fully inflated, but still ended up aground.

I though perhaps at first that the change in inflation could be due to air temp, but I'm no longer convinced. I picked the thing up in Friday evening, literally threw it in my pack, and was using it Monday night in Salt Creek, so I just didn't have time to mess it up on my own.

My future review will include info on the comfort and warmth as well as CD customer service. :(

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/12/2009 00:34:18 MDT Print View

I finally slept on mine last night in my grandma's basement with the window open and a cool 30 something breeze. The noise wasn't really an issue with me, and I'm a fairly light sleeper when it comes to crinkly noises. Which is why I gave up on bpl inflatable pillows. The amount of noise appeared to be a function of how underinflated the matress was and how much you rolled. If you snuggle in and get comfy and pass out it's hardly noticable. Half way through the night I switched to the uninsulated queen size airmattress my girlfriend was sleeping on because she was cold and wanted my warmth and when I switched I could definately feel the difference in insulation. I had to actually put pj's on because I could feel the heat being sucked away and I'm normally a very warm sleeper. Can't wait to try it in the field the 17th to 19th. Also Friday the Seattle rei had 2 mediums in stock.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/12/2009 00:39:49 MDT Print View

"Finally slept on mine last night in my grandma's basement with the window open and a cool 30 something breeze... Half way through the night I switched to the uninsulated queen size air mattress my girlfriend was sleeping on because she was cold..."

I am absolutely amazed that your girlfriend willingly slept in your grandma's basement with the window open and a cool 30 something breeze!!!

Edited by ben2world on 04/12/2009 00:40:27 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/12/2009 04:17:56 MDT Print View

Rooinater,

You got a lot of "whoevers" d@mn gall to tell us there were NeoAir mediums for sale two days ago. I coulda been on an airplane to SETAC. They're probably gone by now.

8-)

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
neoair on 04/12/2009 05:31:11 MDT Print View

recieved 2 regular i ordered in the UK,
404 and 397g including the bag to store them :)

the noise isnt a problem at least for me, my tent or tarp does more with little wind, and i do much more snoring.
and my back seems to like them,
so far so good, i will test it more in 3 weeks doing Cape Wrath trail from Fort Williams to Kinlochewe or Ullapool depending on our speed.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/12/2009 08:24:31 MDT Print View

I'm not surprised she did, neither of us knew about the window till really early in the morning. Everybody is here for Easter, it was just us and my dad spread out on airmattresses in the basement and it was hot. Then my dad opened the basement window sometime early in the night and passed out. Neither of us knew initially, I was only planning on testing the sleeping comfort this weekend or I would of brought my down bag :( but since I had to switch mattresses in the middle of the night I noticed a significant heat loss switching matresses and figured I'd note it.

Sorry for not mentioning the pads at seattle earlier... Family get togethers take up a lot of time with this side of the family (it's the Greek half) and we have spotty cell service in this part of eastern Washington, but I found a wireless network open I could connect my phone to. We stopped in the Seattle store on the way over to pick up a bunch of small stuff for my hike next weekend in the olympics, easten nail stakes, sea to summit dry bag for my down bag...

Edited by rooinater on 04/12/2009 08:29:53 MDT.