Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/06/2009 01:06:37 MDT Print View

>>Is this different than a regular Thermarest HotBond kit?<<

The Fast and Light Repair kit is different than the Hot Bond kit. It has a sheet of "glue dots" that you apply to a regular mattress before applying the clear sticky patch. The instructions say that for the NeoAir, the glue dots aren't required, you just apply the clear sticky patch.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: NeoAir repair? on 04/06/2009 07:47:26 MDT Print View

Hi Richard,

I found the repair kit here: http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0517/Therm-a-Rest-Fast-And-Lite-Repair-Kit.html

I have not bought one yet but looking at the picture it looks like a very simple peel and stick type of repair.

Dan

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: NeoAir repair? on 04/06/2009 10:05:54 MDT Print View

Me, I reckon the patch kit should be included with the mat at that price.

I might grant you that on the basis of reasonableness.

But from the point of view of pricing for the market ... based on the the level of gearwhoreing we're exhibiting about this pad it's priced just about right.

BTW, Roger's earlier post about not buying V1.0 of anything has saved me from this purchase (for now). But it'll have to bomb bigtime to stay out of my gearlist in 2010.

Richard Sullivan
(richard.s) - MLife

Locale: Supernatural BC
NeoAir was 5 years in development on 04/06/2009 10:26:01 MDT Print View

NeoAir was 5 years in development...I don't think it's going to bomb...MSR is a serious operation.

Edited by richard.s on 04/06/2009 10:26:33 MDT.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
MSR and gear bombing on 04/06/2009 10:29:26 MDT Print View

I'm waiting for the Carbon Reflex (steal of TT DR!) and Hubba HP series to bomb, solely because of cost.

dfdf sd
(geofftheref) - F
. on 04/06/2009 10:43:15 MDT Print View

Edited by geofftheref on 03/03/2014 20:17:47 MST.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: NeoAir as lightweight packraft ? on 04/06/2009 12:15:00 MDT Print View

I just had a great visual... me standing on the side of a river relaxing as my gravity filter is doing it's magic. All of a sudden, some guy on a NeoAir goes floating by with a frightened look.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: NeoAir as lightweight packraft ? on 04/06/2009 13:02:45 MDT Print View

Geoff, what a cool idea! I'd only be worried about puncturing the "raft" against a sharp rock that protudes near the surface (say about 4-8" under water or anything at or above water level), especially when you get near the other side shore.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: NeoAir as lightweight packraft ? on 04/06/2009 13:10:48 MDT Print View

I'm wondering if a large size Neoair might do the trick for the odd river or lake crossing.

Long long before NeoAir, but ...

Colin Fletcher writes about doing that on the Colorado (The Man Who Walked Through Time).

I did that once in Alberta's Jasper National Park. D*mn cold water ... and not especially stable.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Where's the NeoAir available now? What about organizing a group buy? on 04/06/2009 19:56:39 MDT Print View

Where's the NeoAir available now, and is it available anywhere now on sale? Looks like I missed a few good recent sales.

Has anyone thought about organizing a group buy? With so many people interested, it shouldn't be hard to get a limited time special 25-30% group buy/pro deal from the manufacturer, for an early adopter evangelist community.

I'm kind of surprised we don't organize group buys more often, especially from the larger gear companies, for much anticipated new products.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Do you plan to use a thin torso CCF with your NeoAir on 04/06/2009 19:57:39 MDT Print View

Does anyone plan to use a thin torso length CCF with their NeoAir as a backup in case of puncture?

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Do you plan to use a thin torso CCF with your NeoAir on 04/06/2009 20:00:12 MDT Print View

I don't plan on carrying a ccf for just in case... I might get a patch kit... or if the center section that reflects the heat works like a space blanket, then I should survive the night.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Do you plan to use a thin torso CCF with your NeoAir on 04/06/2009 20:15:37 MDT Print View

UL = very little, if ANY backup gear = no "in case of puncture" mattress will be carried by me. :)

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

for warmer weather no backup on 04/06/2009 22:43:26 MDT Print View

Yeah, for warmer weather I'd go with no backup. In winter, there's no way I'll use an inflatable without at least a torso length CCF.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

never had a puncture myself, though know it happens on 04/06/2009 22:47:23 MDT Print View

BTW, I've had friends who've had punctures, but I've never had a puncture on a Therm-a-rest, and I've had my current ones for close to a decade. Then again, I wasn't putting them through anything near constant use, rather, occasional backpacking and car camping, and some around the house use for extra guests.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: for warmer weather no backup on 04/06/2009 22:57:19 MDT Print View

winter+ neoair, I'm sure I'd be carrying a CCF pad, but since I have just barely started collecting gear for that... It's nothing I'll be really worried about on the majority of my normal 3 season excursions.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads on 04/07/2009 00:37:13 MDT Print View

If I get one (haven't had a chance to try one out yet), about which I'm still quite dubious, I will take a torso-length piece of 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad for extra insulation for trips on which I expect below-freezing nights.. I need this even with my current POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo) when the temp gets to the low 20's.

If the nearby REI has a NeoAir demo, I'll be on the floor with it Wednesday morning. I need to see if it works with half the air let out, which is how I use my current pad. If the NeoAir isn't at least as comfy for me as my current pad, the weight savings aren't worth it (never mind the extra $$$).

Christine Boersma
(deva) - F

Locale: Quebec Canada
Noise on 04/07/2009 17:14:34 MDT Print View

I just got it in the mail, took it out of the package, blew into it a LONG time (had not read this first so did not count so can't confirm the 28 breaths!) lay down, moved, and was really disapointed. It makes too much noise when I move, and since I backpack with my spouse it would wake me every time he moves.
Now I will consider the new prolite pad which does not weight much more but I am concerned that the tapered cut makes it unuasable for couples who sleep in a double bag...any one know?

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
instock? on 04/07/2009 17:47:52 MDT Print View

so who has this thing in stock? I for some reason didnt jump on it when i saw them on backcountry.com

Dave Weston
(WSUWESTON) - F

Locale: NW
Re: Noise on 04/07/2009 17:54:32 MDT Print View

I did notice when mine is not blown all the way up it makes noise.