Forum Index » Chaff » Pet Peeves

Display Avatars Sort By:
G Dup
(lococoyo) - F
Pet Peeves on 08/17/2008 00:03:11 MDT Print View

This is chaff so share your pet peeves!

Seen this sort of thing quite a bit:

When discussing the boiling time for a stove, is there some sort of standard water temperature that everyone conducts these tests at? Room temperature? Who has room temperature water unless they let it sit out all day? Or is it ground temperature? Fresh snow melt? Bog water? Warm water from a water bottle left in the sun all day? Is everyone at sea level? Stated boil times are useless without this information.

In some gear reviews - "well its durable because i've had it for 6 months with no problems". So did you use it everyday on the PCT for 6 months? Car camping on Labor Day? 2-night backpacking trips every other weekend? Test it out a couple times at home or wear it to work? Go hiking in the Mojave or climbing Shasta? Useless.

David Erekson
(finallyME) - F

Locale: Utah desert
Pet Peeves on 08/19/2008 12:56:49 MDT Print View

All right, I'll bite.

After reading the two lengthy posts on carbon usage and civilizations fate, I find it annoying that people are either offended by the comments, or ask the posters to "get a life" and talk about seemingly more meaningful topics that relate to lightweight backpacking. Isn't this the purpose of chaff? Say what you feel without personally attacking others. If you don't want to "waste your time" reading someone's lengthy comment that is not about backpacking, don't go to the chaff section.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
pet peeves on 08/19/2008 19:14:39 MDT Print View

ooh, I've got a couple.
I'm a high school English teacher, so I get annoyed with homophone usage in posts i.e. "there" when the poster means "their", stuff like that, as well as really atrocious misspellings (typos I can understand)

Long posts with no line breaks or punctuation. It makes you seem like the Unabomber or something.

When people revive a really old thread (several months, say) with a question that has nothing to do with the original thread, and could have just as easily been a new thread.

And the big one, the fact that I don't get out enough, and instead spend time writing about my pet peeves online.

Edited by joshcgil2 on 08/25/2008 17:32:51 MDT.

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: pet peeves on 08/19/2008 19:21:10 MDT Print View

Pet peeves postings are pretty annoying, or really anything seductively atopical posted in an unassailably PC way. To wit, yeah it's *your* Chaff, but it's MY "Last 50 posts" list.

Addendum: one grin

Edited by blister-free on 08/19/2008 19:23:07 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Peeves. on 08/25/2008 13:48:56 MDT Print View

I hate it when I get a referral to treat a patient for "hemorrhoids", and I find out that nobody has ever bothered to actually look at the patient's butt. For the record- 80% of the time, it ain't hemorrhoids.

What? You meant to limit this to backpacking pet peeves? Wups. Sorry. My little professional peeve slipped in there. :-)

And, yes, sometimes my job really sucks.

Edited by acrosome on 08/25/2008 13:49:46 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
peevish. on 08/25/2008 14:05:01 MDT Print View

"Your chaff, my 50 Last Posts." Well said, Brett.

Also of note, complaining about lack of punctuation, whilst not ending sentences in any punctuation.

:)

Peter Atkinson
(sewing_machine) - MLife

Locale: Yorkshire, England
Botty on 08/25/2008 15:52:56 MDT Print View

Dean. my botty has been experiencing some pain; if I punctuate correctly and email you some photos will you diagnose for me please?

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
peevishness on 08/25/2008 18:19:49 MDT Print View

Dave and Brett,
So, am I reading this right? You are both complaining about people cluttering up the "last 50 posts" with chaff by posting in chaff? Physician heal thyself I think.

Good catch on the punctuation Dave. Go to the head of the class.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
yay chaff. on 08/25/2008 18:24:17 MDT Print View

yeah, i had to repond to the personal attack whilst not personally attacking anyone, or whatever that meant.

next week i'll introduce my pro-abortion stance, my anti-christian stance, and my 10 reasons the boy scouts are homophobic, xenophobic, discriminatory, and not deserving of the public funding, access, and resources they receive.

yay for chaff! why talk about backpacking on a backpacking forum?!

(added smilie)

Edited by DaveT on 08/25/2008 18:32:44 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Pet Peeves on 08/25/2008 18:41:26 MDT Print View

Dave T. keep up the good work! It's like putting in a nickel and getting a quarters worth out of you!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Peeves. on 09/01/2008 17:27:38 MDT Print View

Let's keep this discussion, even in Chaff, slightly more polite that this.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor

Edited by rcaffin on 09/01/2008 22:04:55 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Pet Peeves on 09/01/2008 22:13:34 MDT Print View

What did we say now!?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Peeves. on 09/01/2008 23:25:45 MDT Print View

Roger,
Sorry for my poor attempt at humor.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
the problem is the word filtering program on 09/03/2008 12:10:11 MDT Print View

I would like to add my two cents to the pet peeve thread.
Unfortunately it's about the current word filtering program.
The problem lies in the reality that the filtering program will not allow me to explain the problems with the filtering program in the exact language and inference neccessary to make my point.
Oh I'm also not too hot about gear doggies and yellow jackets while sunbathing in the nude at high lakes.