November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3 Season Gear in the Winter
Display Avatars Sort By:
(strong806) - F
3 Season Gear in the Winter on 08/15/2008 20:38:20 MDT Print View

I'm trying to plan a trip in AZ or NM in December and want to use my existing gear (not have to buy snow shoes, etc.)

How do I go about finding areas to go where I can use 3 season gear with minimal modifications/additions?

I'm not finding much trail/weather information online. Should I be looking at elevation only?

Edited by strong806 on 08/15/2008 20:39:17 MDT.

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: 3 Season Gear in the Winter on 08/16/2008 18:52:36 MDT Print View

Hey Stuart

Theres an article here that's is for members only concerning a trip to the flagstaff mountains in AZ, with conditions at 25* and 2 inches of snow, but the author does not state the month. The author Carol was able to stay comfortable with a sub 5lb base weight, so it seems as if you can stay warm, and you have a shelter that can withstand a little bit of snow, as some tarps can while pitched well you probably could do quite fine, but I stress again that I don't know the seasonal lows in December, have you tried looking at weather archives.

(strong806) - F
Re: 3 Season Gear in the Winter on 08/17/2008 11:30:53 MDT Print View

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was thinking of subscribing anyway.

I'm at the beginning of checking into conditions and trails.

Edited by strong806 on 08/17/2008 11:31:24 MDT.