Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Material for lightweight campsite shoes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Timo Moilanen
(Nojatuoli) - F
Material for lightweight campsite shoes on 08/14/2008 11:03:31 MDT Print View

The point is to make waterproof and light shoes that I can put on after I've arrived to the campsite on evenings, so I can dry my hiking shoes. I think I'll make the top part from breathable 600D cordura, but what would make an non-slipping durable bottom for my shoes?

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Slippers on 08/14/2008 12:34:43 MDT Print View

There was a thread recently in G-Spot about making a pair of slippers from closed cell foam. I think this would be fairly durable and fairly warm (especially if you used one of the thicker foams) but it might be slippery. I don't think they would be too slippery unless you are in snow. In that case, maybe some knots tied with cords underneath might do the trick. The design mentioned in G-Spot was all foam and could, conceivably, fit back into a foam pad (as a puzzle piece). The design consists of a slipper sole, with wings on the side, which are tied together on top to hold the thing together. The author had used duct tape, but others suggested a more temporary holder, so it could fit into the larger pad.

Timo Moilanen
(Nojatuoli) - F
Re: Slippers on 08/15/2008 10:03:20 MDT Print View

I thought more about some fabric, because I want the shoes to pack to a small size. I also thought about making them waterproof and above ankle. Does anyone know how slippery cordura is? They won't be used on snow, but will be used in wet forest.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Re: Slippers on 08/15/2008 12:17:05 MDT Print View

Ballet slippers are pretty compact. Leather ones are about 120 grams. Textile probably lighter. A little silicon, etc. on the bottom would probably stay dry enough in a good campsite.

Add a rain wrap, work gloves, and a balaclava for radical style.

G Dup
(lococoyo) - F
Material for lightweight campsite shoes on 08/15/2008 14:53:37 MDT Print View

I made a pair of flip-flops from boot insoles and synthetic rope. They are complete garbage. No padding (very hard on the feet) and slippery on rock. I'd rather (and do) go barefoot.

I made a pair of huaraches from 1/4" latigo leather lace and vibram sole material. They are very sturdy and as protective as you wish. The lacing is very ingenious and they stay on your feet. I love them - I highly recommend you construct your own pair. Look it up!

Bob Ellenberg
(BobTheBuilder) - F
MYOG Campshoe on 08/16/2008 11:50:39 MDT Print View

I have used plastic shoe protectors with elastic at the top similar to these http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=11937
with dry socks. I am going to experiment with taking lightweight foam inner soles and glueing/tapeing them to the bottom to provide comfort from pebbles, etc. and to make them last longer.

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Material for lightweight campsite shoes on 08/29/2008 07:03:47 MDT Print View

I have made 'over booties' for XC sking. The missus hates cold feet so I made some ankle high over booties from some gortex cordura I had lying around. The have thin 3mm closed cell foam soles 'inside' the boot. A short shoelace is sewn into the front seam to tie around ankle and hold them on. The seams are sealed. The idea is to pop them over your spare dry socks. They are also good for going out and adjusting tent etc during the night. Saves putting on the cold/damp ski boots.

We only take the one pair to share when snow camping. They pack down small. Don't know weight - haven't used them for a couple of years.

Cordura is fairly grippy. For non-snow use you might want to use a more breathable upper?

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Lightweight campsite shoes on 08/29/2008 07:54:15 MDT Print View

How about using Tyvek overboots as a base. Various lengths and styles. Glue some foam in the bottom for comfort. You could carry another pair as cheap VB socks.

Tom Hall
(Silverknife) - F
Two ideas on 09/05/2008 17:02:05 MDT Print View

You could stitch the soles from a pair of flipflops onto your nylon uppers, but not sure about the non-slip.

Ancient mariners used to go about barefoot on deck as that gave them the best grip (one of the reasons they'd holystone the decks each Sunday). But in cold weather, they'd put on simple shoes with rope soles. A slightly worn natural fiber rope would be best and should allow you to roll them up.

I've tried this before with hemp rope, tension in the rope sole twisted the shoe abit but was wearable. But add some thick insoles, you will feel every rock and pebble.

Erik Graf
(VanGo) - F

Locale: Southeast
Hmmm... on 09/08/2008 13:57:37 MDT Print View

Appreciate this thread. I have been looking for a lightweight camp shoe but couldn't find something light enough that protected the sole of my feet.

Has anyone tried:

Buying one of these tyvek overshoes (booties) and in camp take out your hiking shoe insole and slide it in these booties?

You'd carry the booties (which could double as small stuff sacks in your pack) and the insoles would be a "one piece does the work of two" item.

Edited by VanGo on 09/08/2008 13:58:55 MDT.

Jason Griffin
(JGriffinRN) - F
tyvek overboots on 09/08/2008 16:02:38 MDT Print View

I would slide some closed cell foam in there cut to the shape of my foot but I don't think I'd use the insole of my boot; I think it would probably be too thin and uncomfortable.

Erik Graf
(VanGo) - F

Locale: Southeast
Good idea on 09/08/2008 18:43:46 MDT Print View

I was thinking that as well as it would add very little to the pack. I use Superfeet at times (I oftentimes carry the stock sole and my Superfeet and switch them out to get a different feel and different pressure sensation - my feet give me fits over 15 miles...) so the more rigid Superfeet might work in these booties. Either way...

Timo Moilanen
(Nojatuoli) - F
Camp shoes on 09/11/2008 11:56:23 MDT Print View

Sorry for being away for a while...
I've been working on durable but lightweight campshoes to use with a pair of wollen socks for a few months now. I'm ready with the pattern and am going to make a pair from the actual materials one of these days. I decided to make the outer soles from schoeller keprotec: http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/default.asp?cat1ID=128&cat2ID=130&pageID=79&emotionstate=0&emotionID=8&langID=2
I think I'll make the outer shell from W/B Action Mistral with taped seams, put some detachable(changeable) cell foam to be the inner soles and add an unctoated 30g/m2 ripstop lining. I'll also add shoelaces to them. They'll be totally waterproof, very durable and breathable. The should weight about 150g a pair. Not the lightest possible, but I think I'll get it back in durability and comfort. If they're successful, I'm gonna sell them in small scale.

-Timo

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Lightweight campsite shoes on 09/11/2008 13:09:18 MDT Print View

I had some thoughts about this as well ..... I had thought about taking a pair of ankle height socks and glueing soles to them ... such as the soles from a pair of cheap water shoes or a cheap pair of sandals.

Still just a thought.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
quick camp shoes on 09/11/2008 15:30:38 MDT Print View

These are not, as the originating post asked, waterproof. But most frequently my camp shoes consist of my orthotics pulled from my boots and stuffed into my socks. Crude, dirty, can be damp. But works surprisingly well for me.

joe newton
(holdfast)

Locale: Bergen, Norway
Re: "Material for lightweight campsite shoes" on 09/12/2008 00:35:06 MDT Print View

I sometimes carry a pair of 'Crocs' style shoes that are pretty light, protect your feet well and can be waterproofed by wearing a pair of Tyvek booties over my socks. Other times I use a pair of Tyvek booties that have a viynl 'sole'(beefed up with some duct tape) and just wear them over thick wool socks.

darren stephens
(darren5576) - F

Locale: Down Under
sole coating on 09/12/2008 03:06:24 MDT Print View

G'Day Timo
One thing you could try for a sole is a 2 pack rubber contact adhesive to coat the soles or your booties. One such product is Reema sc2000. This is a liquid that when sets forms rubber and is virtually indestructible. I thought of coating the soles of light socks to make camp shoes but never did. I use some home made thongs out of innersoles and cord. As i wear Tetra socks its easy to wear them with socks if it’s cold.
Hope this helps
Darren

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
light camp shoes on 09/12/2008 10:43:29 MDT Print View

darren- the idea is wonderful. most can find the "truck bedliner" rubber in cans at local auto stores. Autozone has it near me and it works wonders. I poured some onto a paper plate, stepped into the mix while wearing a crew sock, and let it dry. Dont put too much pressure or it will permeate the fabric (this is where wool socks work best) and get onto your skin. it dries surprisingly fast, so dip your socks, sit back with a glass of ice tea and watch the sunset. You're done!
mine are relatively new so i dont have a long term report on the durability of truck bed-liner, but it can be painted onto other items like down booties and such. I paid $12 for a pint-size can of it.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 09/12/2008 12:12:03 MDT.

derek parsons
(neurotek) - F

Locale: ontario
nike water shoes on 09/12/2008 12:06:07 MDT Print View

they're made with recycled material and have soles that grip well when wet. and they are only 360gms.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=LKvqzvGp7zwPzw2Bk8VZFTTJR2zR8vxy222nrLcdQw7M6qqwgv1Y!780456420?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622147&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471&bmUID=1221242730250

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Tough-Tek / Slip-Not Non Slip Fabric on 09/12/2008 12:24:15 MDT Print View

Tough-Tek / Slip-Not Non Slip Fabric

Tough-Tek / Slip-Not Non Slip Fabric
36 oz/yd. This fabric is a 100% polyester fabric that has a PVC based non-slip surface applied to it.

Slip-Not is a unique fabric that holds up strongly to wear and abrasion while also offering grip and non-skid in both wet and dry conditions.

Waterproof, fire retardant, washable, cold crack tested to -40F. and withstanding 12,000 revolutions on the Taber Abrasion Test, Slip-Not is excellent for sewing or welding and is soft and washable.

The black resilient pvc coating comes in 2 different design surfaces: Bumpy and Sanded.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/tough.html

1/4 Yard Tough-Tek / Slip-Not Package
Slip-Not (see above) pre-cut into a 9"x 60" piece. This allows plenty of fabric for palms of overmitts, etc., but avoids the 1/2 yard minimum.

Size: 9" x 60"
Colors: Black

$6.95 per package