Ideas/beta/partner for Yellowstone fall trip
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Ideas/beta/partner for Yellowstone fall trip on 08/10/2008 15:21:14 MDT Print View

I'm looking for ideas, info, and possibly a partner for a challenging 3 day trip in Yellowstone this fall, likely early in October. I'd like to get in some serious miles (dawn to dusk or more on the move each day, 30+ miles depending on terrain) and some seriously nice country.

I'm looking at taking Wapiti and Astringent over to Mist Creek and the Lamar, then perhaps reversing Specimen and finishing along the Yellowstone to Gardiner. The logical, ideally loop start, of this is yet to be determined.

Any ideas, or like-minded folks, welcome and appreciated.

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah)

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Ideas/beta/partner for Yellowstone fall trip on 08/10/2008 16:59:57 MDT Print View

If I still lived out that way I would definitely be willing to go! Sounds like a fun trip.

I had to abort a trip to Yellowstone and resort to sightseeing around the same time from Oct 4-7 last year because the first snowfall of the season poured down over two feet in the surrounding valleys, and I'm certain it was worse in the park and mountains. Just a heads up is all, be prepared for snow -- I wasn't, hence the aborted trip. My 3-day forecast called for no inclement weather and then the snow came smack dab in the middle of the day on Saturday, Oct 6.

Good luck, and have fun.

Edited by MissingUtah on 08/10/2008 17:00:49 MDT.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
ys fall trip on 08/10/2008 22:09:48 MDT Print View

I see you. I don't have anything to add since I'm a YS noob but if I'm still a bum I'd probably join you.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Yellowstone in October on 08/11/2008 07:05:34 MDT Print View

Most of the Park is seriously nice country, and October is a great time to see it. Snow is defintitely possible but so is fine fall weather. That's what I had last September along the Bechler River and Boundary Creek trails, one of the best backpack trips I've ever taken. That trip is 30 miles and fairly easy, but there are many terrific side trips possible, such as Dunanda Falls, Shoshone Lake, even Heart Lake if you really plan on 30 miles/day. Alas, my fall trip is early in September, in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and I still have to work for a living, but keep us posted and be sure and post some great photos.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Ideas/beta/partner for Yellowstone fall trip on 08/11/2008 13:00:09 MDT Print View

Dave, I've recently moved to the area but cannot comment with any authority about Yellowstone (yet). Consider BPLs Wilderness Trekking III course as an option - it will be taking place in the Yellowstone Ecosystem.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
bummin' on 08/11/2008 14:02:36 MDT Print View

Plesko, I'll move it up to September if necesary... ;)

Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming.