Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » pencil icon

Display Avatars Sort By:
Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
pencil icon on 08/08/2008 05:18:44 MDT Print View

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the little pencil icon that always shows in anything I write? I have no idea how it got there in the first place.

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: pencil icon on 08/08/2008 05:52:37 MDT Print View

Donna,
You aren't supposed to get rid of it. Click on it and it allows you to edit your post.
In case you are on the rampage one day and decide to post a rant in the Chaff forum about "Cheez Whiz and how it's causing the decline of western civilization", it allows you to moderate yourself and go back to change it if you deem necessary.
Hope this helps.
Chris

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: pencil icon on 08/09/2008 05:13:50 MDT Print View

Well why is it that I seem to be the only person in the forum that has it in their posts?

I think Western Civilization needs Cheez Whiz. I'm figuring out how to dehydrate it!!
: )

Thanks

Blue _
(lrmblue) - MLife

Locale: Northeast (New England)
Re: Re: Re: Pencil Icon on 08/09/2008 08:44:55 MDT Print View

Donna Wrote: "Well why is it that I seem to be the only person in the forum that has it [a pencil icon] in their posts?"

Probably, because it wouldn’t be polite to change other people’s posts (as much as you might think the change would be for the better :-). In order to remove even the temptation of the sinful desire to edit someone else’s words—the pencil will only appear in your own posts. PAX.

Edited by lrmblue on 08/09/2008 09:58:07 MDT.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pencil Icon on 08/09/2008 12:30:48 MDT Print View

Thanks, Blue...except my question still hasn't been answered. I understand it's usage, but why don't you have one in your posts? This pops up each time in mine.

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Pencil Icon on 08/09/2008 12:44:56 MDT Print View

Each user only sees it in their own post. I don't see the pencil you see in your posts. You don't see the pencil I see in mine.
It's user specific. Try logging out, then read the posts. You won't see any.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
pencil icon on 08/09/2008 12:45:44 MDT Print View

A forum reader will only see the pencil icon beneath posts that they authored. It lets the author go back and edit what they wrote.

Blue _
(lrmblue) - MLife

Locale: Northeast (New England)
Pencil Icon on 08/09/2008 13:17:02 MDT Print View

Sorry I wasn’t able to answer your question more clearly, Donna, please forgive me. However, I imagine between Cameron’s, Christopher’s and my responses you should now have more information about that pencil than you need (or want). I remember having the exact same question when I made my first post on BPL (in general, I don’t do much posting on internet forums—so I was/am pretty ignorant about various forum formats). PAX

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Pencil Icon on 08/09/2008 18:50:18 MDT Print View

Well..thanks everyone! I didn't know you couldn't see the pencil in my posts. I was wondering how annoying it might have been to everyone. Thanks again. : )