Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tyvek Ultralite OmnicovR - Anyone use this?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Baker
(Wildswolfe) - M
Tyvek Ultralite OmnicovR - Anyone use this? on 08/06/2008 23:15:04 MDT Print View

Got lots of good sewing tips last month when I posted about sewing a bivy sack so I thought I ask if anyone has used this type Tyvek (8x10 $30 Hard, $40 Soft)available from Material Concepts to make a cheap tarp until if and when Gossamer Gear finds spinnaker cloth to get back into selling The One, Squall Classic and Twinspinn (which is way I really want to go for a shelter). Have researched previous posts about using Tyvek and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on exactly how much water will get through Tyvek when used as a tarp. I figure I'm willing to spend the $30-$40 to find out. In the southwest where I camp rain is usually a brief event and I'm hoping the Tyvek will work for awhile. Anybody have any experience using the above mentioned product and what glue/fastening system have you used for tie-outs and reinforcements?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tyvek Ultralite OmnicovR - Anyone use this? on 08/07/2008 01:54:51 MDT Print View

Frank
By stating "this type of Tyvek" it means that at least you are aware that Tyvek is a family of products and not just one as most seem to think.
Have a look at this chart from Dupont, it lists all of the specs including waterhead figures.
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/products/tyvek_styles/tyvek_styles.html
The type that some use as tent material is the 1443R.
Franco

Mike Nielsen
(geophagous) - F

Locale: Pacific North West
Tyvek 1443R soft structure on 08/07/2008 10:59:41 MDT Print View

I made a tarptent with with material. Works quite well, and when under a tree lasted all night in a slight drizzle with no water getting through.

I used Gorilla glue for my gluing. While it is probably overkill it remains flexible and makes a bond that exceeds the fabric strength.