Forum Index » Gear Lists » 3 Seasons Gear list

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lewis-Gever
(dgever) - F - MLife

Locale: Brooklyn
3 Seasons Gear list on 07/31/2008 23:01:52 MDT Print View

Here are the 3 different variations of my setup for hiking in the northeast http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7BSD86vrbIetmAqc6YwLcw&hl=en

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah)

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Looks comfy on 08/01/2008 14:34:54 MDT Print View

From the top down:

Pack covers are out. Pack liners, lightweight drybag internal storage, and poncho tarps are all good alternatives with strengths and weaknesses depending on the season and trail conditions. You should be able to save some weight there.

13oz sleeping pad? Ever tried or considered using a lighter alternative -- maybe just for summer trips? My summer gearlist has a much lighter sleeping pad than my winter gearlist, and more-often-than-not I go without a pad in the summer.

Consider a Polycryo groundsheet (GG sells them) and save over a 1/4 lb over the Tyvex.

You're using a solo tent, so I'm assuming this is for solo backpacking -- or at least everyone in your group has everything they need. With that said, the 1.3l pot can be trimmed back to a .9 or .6 -- another opportunity there.

Pot = mug. Do you really need both?

MSR Hydration Kit I'm assuming is a water filter. Convenient for using puddle water; but if plenty of streams are around... then, well, the personal preference thing kicks in.

Not much else left for me to nitpick... except for an mp3 player? an mp3 player?? come on! the sounds of the backcountry are much more enjoyable than any music i've ever heard :)

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
3 season gear list. on 08/01/2008 17:38:06 MDT Print View

Hi there.

Just some random comments and possibilities, on the summer list.

1. Ditch the pack cover unless it's gonna really rain. The circuit is pretty water-resistant, isn't it?

2. Try using a Gossamer Gear Nightlite pad if you can. The full length cut shorter. Mine's like 4 oz or so I think.

3. Can't go wrong with WM bags.

4. Ditch the Tyvek and use a polycryo (or substitute) sheet.

5. 1.3L pot is big enough for two. You'd save a little weight and bulk with a 0.9L for one.

6. Eat and drink from the pot. No need for a mug.

7. Do you really need 4L with hydration kit? Use 1L Aqua Fina bottle (or two) and/or a 2L platypus instead, as necessary.

8. Ditch the crocs! Just wear your hiking shoes loose-laced around camp. Or barefoot.

9. Use a Fenix L0D instead of the Tikka and Princeton. I made this change and I'm not looking back! Clip the Fenix to your hat brim.

10. Do you really need a swiss army knife? Or just a razorblade?

11. By all means KEEP the mp3 player. Nothing like some music to get you through a long uphill, or a couple hours in the afternoon. Plus hiking along to a great song is a great thing.

Nice looking list!