Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest? on 07/23/2008 19:31:46 MDT Print View

I am a side sleeper and would like to use a closed cell instead of an inflatable like my Big Agnes Insulated Aircore. I have a Gossamer Gear Nightlight but need a little bit more padding than the 3/4". Is there anything light to add to it or another one out there than the Ridgerest because it weighs too much. Thanks.

Gordon Dunn
(Egads) - F

Locale: South East
Pad on 07/23/2008 19:41:08 MDT Print View

Scoop out a hollow in the ground for your hips. Helps and doesn't weigh anything.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest? on 07/23/2008 21:08:18 MDT Print View

Tylenol PM or your alcohol of choice. Also, a GG Thinlight helps helps a surprising amount.

Adam

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Make your own laminated pad on 07/24/2008 09:48:53 MDT Print View

You might try laminating another piece of foam to your GG pad. Get some 3M spray adhesive and add another layer of padding to the bottom. Look at the GG thinlight pads.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest? on 07/24/2008 10:11:06 MDT Print View

Brett, I'm a hammock sleeper who is trying to get comfortable on the ground as well. I'm not there yet but this is my approach. I cut a sit pad from the 3/4" egg crate Nightlite. This mates with my pad of the same material when I go to bed. I position it so it's right at the small of my back. With the egg crates facing each other the sit pad does not move at all on my pad. I'm going to do what Russell suggests and laminate some additional foam to both pads. What can I say, I'm a big guy who needs a lot of padding. I also made a pot cozy that opens flat when not in use that will be part of my sleep pad system.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Thinlight + Nightlight on 07/24/2008 11:25:17 MDT Print View

Nowadays, I usually add a ThinLight to my NightLight. It adds a bit of comfort and warmth. Both pads grip very well, so it is easy to keep them together.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Re: Re: Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest? on 07/24/2008 11:41:52 MDT Print View

Eric,
I do something similar when I'm on a longer trip (4 nights+). I use a GG nightlight and I am generally ok with the pad. I can get a few aches after consecutive usage of just this pad, so I take along two sections from a Thermarest ZRest pad to supplement either my hips or shoulders, depending on which part is getting sore. I'll use forest duff to help, too...

Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Thinlight + Nightlight on 07/24/2008 13:53:17 MDT Print View

Ditto to Ross' approach for me, works great for me (and I have to say, the combo is really, really warm for the weight). Dumb question: Have you experimented flipping the NightLight's eggcrate up vs. down? People seem to prefer it one way or the other and notice significant comfort differences.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Re: Re: Thinlight + Nightlight on 07/24/2008 16:13:21 MDT Print View

I don't notice any difference...up or down. Usually lay the bumpy part face down, just out of habit I guess.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Thinlight on 07/24/2008 22:03:05 MDT Print View

Which Thinlight are most people using or have found to be the most versatile?

Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Re: Thinlight on 07/24/2008 22:30:15 MDT Print View

I use the 1/8" with a torso-length NightLight, from shoulders to feet.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Re: Thinlight on 07/25/2008 09:25:53 MDT Print View

Brett,

If you're looking for additional padding, I'd probably suggest the 3/8". Cut to size to supplement the Nightlight, your probably only looking at a few ounces of additional weight.

You might also consider just chopping up a WalMart blue foam pad. It will be cushier than the Thinlight but might weigh a tad more. Fairly cheap to test this option as well.

Edited by rswanson on 07/25/2008 09:27:15 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Thinlight on 07/25/2008 11:22:57 MDT Print View

Nathan, no such thing as a 1/8" nightlight? I thought all 1/8" pads were thinlights.

Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Thinlight on 07/25/2008 11:42:13 MDT Print View

I meant I use the 1/8" (ThinLight) with the Nightlight...

"No time for full sentences, Dr. Jones!" :-)

Edited by atomick on 07/25/2008 11:42:56 MDT.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

foam on 07/25/2008 15:42:08 MDT Print View

I actually get some double density egg crate foam in at work so I will try some off that to boost it and see how it does. Thanks.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: Thinlight + Nightlight on 07/25/2008 21:26:34 MDT Print View

Egg crate down if in snow or rain. The cups catch the precip.