Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/23/2008 00:07:38 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/23/2008 12:56:52 MDT Print View

Nice print! I wonder who the contemplative figure overlooking the background vista is...

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/23/2008 13:14:54 MDT Print View

Looks like that figure is wearing a Tilley LTM5...hmmmm

Kevin Sawchuk
(ksawchuk) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Re: Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/23/2008 21:27:43 MDT Print View

There's a tarp pitched, yet he's carrying a pack and appears to have poles in his hands. He must be visiting another ultralighter. It's an interesting combination of trees as well--a huge krumholtz lodgepole and tiny spruce.

It does appear to capture the essential qualities of ultralight--I like the minimum of "gear" and the smallness of "man".

He appears to be camped out of the valley/lake basin so he's made a good choice for camping.

Edited by ksawchuk on 07/23/2008 21:31:42 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/24/2008 09:34:21 MDT Print View

Kevin, note that the hiker is holding one trekking pole, the other is holding up the front of the tarp and the rear of the tarp is hidden from view so one can only assume that the rear of the tarp is attached to a durable tree or rock.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/25/2008 19:30:46 MDT Print View

Nice interview and explanation. I'm already looking for a good space on my wall for the poster.

Here's a link to Friedrich's Wanderer painting that Monte discussed...
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/friedrich/friedrich.wanderer-sea-fog.jpg

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/26/2008 06:09:14 MDT Print View

How about a bigger image of the painting so we can see the detail?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/26/2008 08:19:18 MDT Print View

I have too many podcasts to listen to, so I am going to ask why BPL has chosen to commission artwork.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/28/2008 08:48:46 MDT Print View

Ken,

There is a proliferation of wildlife and landscape art available for people interested in decorating their living and working spaces with fine art. Many of us whom have this desire would also like to see a bit of ourselves reflected in the wild places that are the subject of such art, as we like to consider ourselves a small part of the places we visit.

Backpacking Light chose Mr. Dolack because viewing a Dolack painting is not unlike the introspective view you have upon waking up in a wild place.

- Sam

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re: Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack on 07/29/2008 19:56:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the larger image!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
finally... on 07/30/2008 13:41:10 MDT Print View

... proof that the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker exists.

Lewis Martin
(MrtyMrtn) - F

Locale: Sierra Nevadas Golden Trout W
WOW! on 08/06/2008 01:40:11 MDT Print View

Received my signed poster today! All I can say is WOW. The pic on the website does not do it justice. You have to see the real thing. I can't wait to get it framed and on my wall. I have a space right over the fireplace for it. My compliments to Monte Dolack, and Backpackinglight for doing the print. I was worried after I ordered it, that I wouldn't like it, but when I opened it, it took my breath away.
Many Thanks to Monte and BPL!