I'm seriously considering throwing down some hard earned funds for one of these. There are two main threads dedicated to this tent, but no one with a solid review/discussion of a production version of this baby!
18.5 oz (claimed) for a solo shelter that breathes well and keeps the critters / rain out. The fabric is claimed to be mostly waterproof, which is fine for me out here in AZ.
Not as light as "The One", but you can actually buy it and it's $100 cheaper.
Alternatives: Tarp/bivy combo. Lightest bug bivy weighs 6 oz? Lightest available tarps weigh 6 oz? (Purely a guess). That doesn't include ground sheet (4 oz) or guylines (3 oz). Bottom line, weight is comparable for comparable coverage.
- Durability / UV resistance of soft tyvek vs. silnylon.
- Actual ability of fabric to withstand rain and "wetting out"
- Fabric resistance to condensation vs. silnylon
- Real world packed weight
- Ease of pitch and tautness over extended periods
- Structure's ability to withstand moderate to high wind speeds for sustained periods of time
That's just a few of the questions rattling around in my cranium. If anyone has one, please chime in and share your experience with me/us!
Or, please chime in if you can answer any of these questions, or have questions of your own!