elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks? on 07/22/2008 20:35:32 MDT Print View

well i got the fabric on order for my tarp. where can i find some ultralight shockcord or elastic for connecting my tubbed floor to the tarp and to make a removable pack cover. which combination of cord and micro cord locks should i use for the stuff sacks i'll be making from the scrap silnylon?

i was thinking something similar to what's on my bear bag from BPL. is it aircore 1 cord and a micro lock from thru-hiker?

thanks in advance.

Edited by rooinater on 07/22/2008 20:37:00 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks? on 07/23/2008 05:11:17 MDT Print View

i get that stuff from OWFINC.com and love and recommend them highly.

Rodney Davis
(Ramrod) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
"elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks?" on 07/23/2008 10:34:42 MDT Print View

I used aircore 1 from BPL and mini binders from thru-hiker for a pack cover. The aircore 1 was too small for the mini binder to grip when the rain and high wind came, had to constantly keep check on it. Will be replacing the aircore 1 with something a little bigger for grip.
I have used the same combination for many small stuff sacks and had no issues, worked great for that.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks? on 07/23/2008 10:44:26 MDT Print View

Jared,

I use the 1/8" flat polyester Griptease drawcord sold by thru-hiker.com

Their website says, "works with their Tiny cordlocks." However, if you are going to be putting two runs of drawcord through the same cordlock, you will need the larger Mini cordlocks. (I found out the hard way).

Rodney Davis
(Ramrod) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
"elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks?" on 07/23/2008 11:45:56 MDT Print View

Correction to my last post.
I used the tiny cord locks not the mini.

JAMES CALL
(Conductor) - MLife

Locale: Sierra Nevada
elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks? on 07/23/2008 13:28:14 MDT Print View

Don't forget to check out Quest Outfitters
www.questoutfitters.com
Fast, reliable service

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: elastic cord, micro cord locks and cord for stuff sacks? on 07/24/2008 20:44:41 MDT Print View

what fabric did you end up going with?

-Tim

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
which fabric on 07/25/2008 00:57:05 MDT Print View

i went with the speer fabrics, because i could actually order it online. i haven't been getting home till late and no one is open then. so for the sake of ease i just ordered from speer fabrics. 10yds of grey silnyon and 5yds of no seeum to attempt to make the original tarptent for 2 with a removable bathtub floor. i'm stoked, the plan is to have it done by my next planned trip in august. as soon as i get it built, and switch to platapus bladders i'll finally be under a 10 pound base weight, then i'll need to switch packs to cut the weight of my ul60 pack... step, by step the pack weight drops.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: which fabric on 07/25/2008 06:45:58 MDT Print View

cool.