Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics

Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Baker
(Wildswolfe) - M
Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/21/2008 22:29:50 MDT Print View

My wife is going to be sewing together a bivy sack from the SMD Meteor Bivy plans I downloaded. She has a fancy sewing machine that she uses for quilting but has no experience with lightweight slippery coated nylon fabrics - momemtum & silnylon - and nanoseeum mesh. How do you hold the fabrics together when sewing seams? She's used to pinning cotton/polyester but I told her she can't do that with the nylon fabrics because it would put too many holes in what is supposed to be waterproof layer. The Meteor Bivy has many continuous feet of seaming and we need to find a way to keep fabric edges aligned correctly so the seams will be relatively straight and good looking. Ideas?

D LARSON
(epilektric) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/22/2008 07:10:34 MDT Print View

I haven't tried this but perhaps double sided tape might work?
I know they make some fabric glues that are temporary and will wash away for this purpose as well.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/22/2008 08:21:42 MDT Print View

she can use pins. She just needs to keep them inside the seam allowance. Also the seam is joining waterproof and non-water proof fabric. If it has a fen pin holes that won't be an issue since the momentum isn't water proof anyway.

However, i don't pin these fabric i just hold them together at the start and just use my fingers to keep them together as i go.

Use a very small new needle and practice on some scraps first. As long as the pin hole aren't in the main body of silnylon you will be fine. A few holes along the seam won't be an issue at all. And the nice thing about sil is that it (to an extent) re seals those pin holes.

-Tim

Jesse Brent
(jessebrent) - F
Pins on 07/22/2008 14:18:41 MDT Print View

I have used pin to sew 2 tarps, 2 ponchos, and numerous stuff sacks. No problem, just keep them inside the seam allowance.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/22/2008 17:10:49 MDT Print View

> she can use pins. She just needs to keep them inside the seam allowance
Ditto. I use a lot of very thin pins in the seam allowance. Essential imho.

Cheers

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/22/2008 22:08:15 MDT Print View

I use small binder clips and washable glue sticks.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/23/2008 07:10:52 MDT Print View

I just finished sewing a tent made from 1.1oz silnylon and noseum mesh. The guys who are saying you can use pins are correct. Pins are especially important on the long seams. The only thing I can add is it helps to put a little stretching force on the work by holding it with one hand behind the presser foot and one hand ahead, but the net force with respect to the feed dogs has to be zero. The material is extremely slippery hence the dogs can't grip it very well and it will slip if there is any net tension.

Oliver Budack
(Snuffy) - MLife
Need tips for sewing nylon fabrics on 07/23/2008 13:01:52 MDT Print View

There are special tapes available for silnylon. They are not cheap but you won't get a better seam. It looks even better than the ones made with industrial folding/sewing machines. It also seals the seam a bit.
But it adds a little extra weight ;).

Oliver