Panasonic DMC LX3
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Panasonic DMC LX3 on 07/21/2008 19:21:44 MDT Print View

Ok, the ideal backpacking camera will never exist, but this could go into the 'worth a look" list.
Panasonic LX3. As the premium Pana model, the DMC LX3 has an F2/2.8 24-60mm lens and a larger than most 1/1.63-inch 10 MP sensor.
The F2 /larger sensor and not too many pixel combo, could make this one a possible SLR alternative, note the full manual controls. Just over 9 oz
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072102panasoniclx3.asp
Interestingly it has the CCD shift (Konica-Minolta ) image stabiliser and not their own in lens version.
Franco

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Panasonic DMC LX3 on 07/22/2008 12:27:41 MDT Print View

Hi Franco,

I've taken a little time to look at this and it does seem promising, not to mention mega-eyecandy. The lens is huge step in the right direction.

That giant LCD seems to have eliminated a lot of controls, making me wonder how many steps it takes to access frequently used settings. I also wonder whether the auxiliary finder zooms or uses framelines to accommodate the zoom lens?

More here:

http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/lx3/high_image.html

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Panasonic DMC LX3 on 07/22/2008 18:46:27 MDT Print View

It appears that the viewfinder covers the 24mm angle of view with a 60mm frame insert.
The 460k 3" LCD might be just good enough to operate in bright daylight (?)
Yes it does look rather delicious..
Franco

ian wright
(ianwright) - F

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980
DMC LX3 on 07/23/2008 04:08:01 MDT Print View

It's one new delicious toy after another!
My 'new' TZ2 is only a year old and hardly used so by the time I can justify a replacement, the DMC LX3 will have been replaced ! I hope so !
That hotshoe and viewfinder is wonderful.

Mark W Heninger
(heninger) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Panasonic DMC LX3 on 07/23/2008 23:06:34 MDT Print View

I have the LX2 the preceded it and have *liked* this camera. The lens is great, the feature set was good (raw, 16:9 widescreen sensor) but it wasn't perfect - very slow with raw, noisy beyond ISO 100, did I mention slow?

This new version is interesting - faster lens, 40% better claimed sensitivity for better low light performance, hotshoe. I'm just hoping they gave it a bigger buffer to write those raw files - 8 seconds between images can be a drag.

Sometimes I just drag along the 5D and 24-105 L Lens - it weights more than my baseweight pack...

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Panasonic DMC LX3 on 07/25/2008 18:58:47 MDT Print View

Wade
The media release list a "burst" mode at 2.5 frames a second at full resolution. Some have interpreted this to mean RAW, but I have been unable to ascertain this .
Franco

Michael Smith
(miksmi) - MLife

Locale: MD, DC, VA
Re: Panasonic DMC LX3 on 08/09/2008 14:03:28 MDT Print View

Wade, how do you carry your Canon 5D and 24-105 L? I'm looking for a way to attach a small camera bag or case to a ULA Catalyst, perhaps on a shoulder strap, for quick access to a Canon 10D.
..Mike

Edited by miksmi on 08/09/2008 14:04:20 MDT.