Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Gaiter sole straps
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Gaiter sole straps on 07/19/2008 13:19:48 MDT Print View

Has anyone found a DURABLE gaiter sole strap or cord???

I've seen and used:
1. elasticized cords (least durable)
2. Taslan shoe laces ( not bad)
3. nylon webbing (fairly durable)
4. vinyl coated nylon straps (most
durable but heavy)

I'm going to try double Taslan laces which I will coat the sole sections heavily with Shoo Goo.

Eric
P.S. Maybe Spectra core or Kevlar core very light (5 mm) cord? It might hold when the nylon sheath wears off.

Edited by Danepacker on 07/19/2008 13:25:16 MDT.

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Gaiter Straps on 07/19/2008 14:27:26 MDT Print View

Eric,

I have used OR Flex-Tex gaiters for years. What has worked for me is to thread the flat lace thru a piece of clear plastic tubing, the smallest diameter that the cord can by threaded thru. This has lasted for 100's of miles and can be changed when it starts to wear out.

To thread the flat lace, I first run a stiff wire thru the tubing and crimp it to the lace. It can then be pulled thru and the wire removed.

Ed

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Gaiter sole straps on 07/19/2008 15:31:11 MDT Print View

Not the answer you're specifically asking for...but it may be useful to someone:

I wear Merrill Overdrive trailrunners. They have a fantastic feature: a slot thru the sole where I thread my gaiter strap. ZERO WEAR AND TEAR on the strap! Problem solved, provided these shoes work for you.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Gaiter sole straps on 07/19/2008 16:42:59 MDT Print View

Fencing wire...

Threading the lace through plastic tubing does work quite well. Replace when tatty.

Cheers

Slo Hiker
(SloHiker) - F

Locale: NC Foothills
Suggestion on 07/21/2008 07:29:11 MDT Print View

You might try this ....

Two materials - same method of attachment.

Use "weedeater" line trimmer cord (.060 to .080 dia line) or even fishing "leader" material (steel or thick monofilament). Measure, cut and crimp both ends using crimping sleeves of the appropriate size which can be purchased at sporting goods/fishing tackle outlets. For this application, the special "crimping pliers" that are available may not be necessary - just ordinary pliers should crimp the cord ends OK.