short thick pads
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
short thick pads on 07/19/2008 07:02:25 MDT Print View

I've always thought that short thick pads would be uncomfortable with my legs hanging over a multi inch ledge near the knees. But have never tried one.

But the Thermarest NeoAir has really piqued my interest.

Any 6 foot or taller side sleeper out there use 48" BA AirCore pad? How's it working out?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
My knees want to be on the pad on 07/19/2008 09:31:20 MDT Print View

Especially after a long day of hiking or cycling I really want a pad that is continuous from hips to knees. I sleep on my sides a lot- for back sleeping it probably doesn't matter.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Short Pads on 07/19/2008 10:37:57 MDT Print View

I'm 6 feet tall and a four foot pad still supports my knees when I'm on my side which seems to be the key. If my knees were off the end it would probably be uncomfortable. A couple of things that can make a difference:
1) Do you put your pillow on top of your mat or off the end? If on top you lose length and your knees might drop off the end.
2) Do you plan on putting anything down on the ground under your feet?

Your legs won't be 2.5 inches above the ground anyway because the pad compresses. Most Air pad users fill their pads up full and then deflate them a bit after lying on them (a comfort adjustment) so they tend to stay soft and compressible.

I also carry a .5 inch thick foam bum (seat) pad that I use under my feet at night. That makes a big difference in comfort and especially warmth. You can really feel the cold if you don't put something under your feet. I tried using my pack but it didn't stay under my feet as well as the bum pad.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Short Pads on 07/19/2008 14:23:38 MDT Print View

1) Do you put your pillow on top of your mat or off the end? If on top you lose length and your knees might drop off the end.
2) Do you plan on putting anything down on the ground under your feet?

My "pillow" (fanny pack with a small 1" thick open cell pad on top) is normally off the pad with the sleeping pad reaching to the crest of my shoulder. That puts the other end of the pad 7-8 inches below the fold in my knee.

But I'll need to make the pillow 1.5 inches thicker if I leave it on the ground. The current setup is barely thick enough when on a 48" prolite 3

I put a folded double 1/8 GG Nightlight pad under lower legs mid-Mar thru mid-May and Mid Sep thru Oct (MN) otherwise nothing. Full length pads during winter.