Forum Index » GEAR » UL pocketknife - what blade do you carry?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Wenger Swiss Clipper on 08/13/2009 10:18:59 MDT Print View

I've not had a need for anything bigger than a small blade and the scissors, but I do like to carry a nail clipper with me.

At 37 grams (1.3 ounces), the Wenger Swiss Clipper (CampMor - $22.99) is perfect for me:

Wenger Swiss Clipper

I usually hike with friends who can't go without their Skeletool or similar device, but the only implement we ever seem to need is the scissors from my tiny knife.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Fallkniven U2 on 08/13/2009 11:05:14 MDT Print View

2 1/2" blade, 1 1/2 oz. Makes excellent wood shavings and remains sharp for prepping food, trimming hangnails etc.

fallkniven u2

Edited by erdferkel on 08/13/2009 11:06:16 MDT.

Reginald Donaldson
(worth) - MLife

Locale: Wind River Range
Cold Steel Bird & Trout Knife on 08/13/2009 11:49:41 MDT Print View

Bird & Trout Knife

http://www.coldsteel.com/birdtroutknife.htm

Weight: 0.8 oz
Blade Length: 2 1/4"
Handle Length: 4 1/16"

My photon light and whistle also hangs from it.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"UL pocketknife - what blade do you carry?" on 08/13/2009 13:20:03 MDT Print View

I have never really understood why people carry a razor blade into the bush. Cant you just tear open your food packs? I find the two worst cuts I have had from a cutting tool were from a razor blade and my tiny swiss army knife. I see nothing wrong with carrying a razor but its not a knife and has little to no utility. I use my knife to make tent stakes clean a fish, cut fire wood carve a spoon ect. The real reason I carry a knife is for a last ditch attempt at self defence against big scarry things. I have recently swithched from my massive TBII to a Benchmade Nim Cub II it only weighs 3.1 ounces and has an amazing edge. In the end I can find a dozen things I can leave home to save a few ounces but my knife isnt one of them, its the single most important thing I pack. Right now I am wearing two knifes, my spyderco folder and my Benchmade Nim. I use both these knifes regularly and would be lost without them. Just my 2 cents which is what its worth. Alinim cub

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
knife on 08/13/2009 13:36:03 MDT Print View

depending on the hike either :

- nothing ( but some scissor from a swiss card )
- a ladybug
- a fallkniven wm1
very easy to clean and didnt rust from sea water after cleaning and preparing filets from a dozen fish ( artic char, salmon , cabillaud) this last hike in Greenland
2.5oz /70g but i need to find a lighter solution for the sheath (30g atm) , i dont want to wear it on neck, and i cannot on belt with my backpack on )

wm1

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Re: knife on 08/13/2009 17:38:21 MDT Print View

Have you considered a baldric style carry for your fallkniven? I like it for fixed blades because the strap/cord doesn't interfere with backpacks. Also, you can have the knife in front of you when you're using it and then swing it to the side out of the way when not.

baldric

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
UL Pocketknife-What blade do you carry? on 08/13/2009 17:58:54 MDT Print View

Most all the knifes I have seen are WAY to HEAVY!!!

tent stakes

7 functions at 0.7 oz...Keep it simple....

jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
Best Knife on 08/13/2009 20:02:48 MDT Print View

The best knife is the one that you have when you need it.
I like knives but I flip/flop. Sometimes a micro knife in a complete kit. Or like Ali take a field and make parts of my kit that I did not bring. Tent stakes, walking stick,
eating utensils /toothbush etc.It depends on my mood.

Jim

jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
Best Knife on 08/13/2009 20:04:21 MDT Print View

Sorry should have read field knife :(

Michael B
(mbenvenuto) - F

Locale: Vermont
U2 on 08/13/2009 21:24:32 MDT Print View

That Fallkniven U2 is a gorgeous knife. I think I like that better than a BM mini grip on my wish list, if I ever get around to buying a knife just to have a knife.

I currently use a SAK one handed trekker. I don't like the blade, the chisel point doesn't work very well left handed. But I really like having a saw, and the saw here is the longest and best avail on a SAK. For using the bushbuddy, the saw is great for notching sticks just slightly too thick to break.

Kevin Scruggs
(NCBACKPACKER) - F
Spyderco jester on 08/14/2009 21:41:58 MDT Print View

Spyderco Jester is my favorite UL. Nice knife for the $$.

John Eurbin
(Preliator) - F

Locale: Western MA
My combo: Juice S2 and a Scrapper 5 in SR101 on 08/15/2009 08:58:24 MDT Print View

New member and just wanted to chime in on this thread:
I’m just getting back into backpacking after about 10+ years of working too hard. I’ve got my pack weight down from 40+ to 20 pounds which is just lightweight but I’m old enough to want some comfort once I’m in camp and I’m willing to pay for it with a little extra weight. Part 2 - I usually go in the woods with the capability to assist/rescue others (old habits die hard.)
Wow! A lot of great ideas and choices here, this is my take. It’s hard to go wrong with any of the Spyderco models from the ladybug for light weight to the military/police series. Kershaw and SOG make some nice folders with an assisted opening. SOG for smaller lighter, Kershaw for a larger blade (I carry a leek, blur or cyclone daily.) The Doug Ritter S30V Griptilian is another great folder. That said, when in the woods I carry a Juice S2, It’s the lightest tool (4.4 oz) I could find with both usable scissors and pliers. I pair that with a good fixed blade. On a budget get a Mora and make your own sheath. Light and small, I have a RAT Izula that is great for the price and a perfect neck knife. The Nim Cub posted above is a great knife but I spent a couple bucks more for my EDC which is a ScrapYard Knives Scrapper 5. Light enough at 194 grams and the SR101 steel will cut through a car or cinder block in a pinch :) this knife will do it all. You can pick up the SR101 version for around $125 and the INFI version is for sale now for around $200.
Hope this helps someone out.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Torx drivers on 08/16/2009 18:44:59 MDT Print View

Sears has 'em all.

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Emerson! on 08/17/2009 00:29:11 MDT Print View

I never leave home without my Emerson SARK!

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

RSK mk5 on 09/22/2009 19:00:59 MDT Print View

Here is a nice tiny fixed blade:
Doug Ritter RSK mk5

Fits in an Altoids box and designed for survival applications. Weighs less than one ounce with sheath, I've started carrying it on my last ditch lanyard.

Edited by erdferkel on 09/22/2009 19:03:18 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Ritter on 09/22/2009 20:04:50 MDT Print View

funny I just stumbled onto thelittle Ritter today (putting together a compact survival kit)-

re- edit :) I need to look more carefully the 0.3 oz was for the kydex sheath- not the knife- still a light knife

http://www.crkt.com/Ritter-RSK-Mk5

Edited by mtwarden on 09/24/2009 17:41:30 MDT.

Kevin Sawchuk
(ksawchuk) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Ringer Knives on 09/25/2009 11:17:06 MDT Print View

I use one of the Rignger knives from CRKT:

http://www.elinemerchandising.com/CR2250.html

It has a real blade, is easy to clean and is very light. I like the bird and trout knife described above though.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

bird and trout on 09/25/2009 12:49:29 MDT Print View

^ I liked that one as well, enough so I ordered one- thinking about bolstering the handle a little w/ some spectra cord and secreting a small fire steel into the weave

on a somewhat related note- I found swiss army knife scissors as a stand alone item- no need to tear apart the knife for just the scissors- they are a replacement part for the swiss army "card"

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Knife options for handbaggage only on 09/25/2009 14:13:37 MDT Print View

It's tricky. I've managed to get a knife through security a few times on our handbaggage only backpacking trips, but when they find it you get a hard time and lose an old friend. Best trick is the butter knife I've made out of titanium which lives attached to the handle of the frypan on top of the mess kit.

I have one of the little Gerber 2 1/2" blades, which is pretty good. My favourite locking folder is an 'Imperial Ireland' which has a stout drop point blade and the best 3" saw ever.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Cold Steel Bird & Trout Knife on 10/01/2009 21:19:37 MDT Print View

I just got one, pretty nice little knife

knife weighs in at 0.8 oz, the sheath at 0.1- I added a 3/16" fire steel (0.2) and ~ 12' of spectra line (0.2) bringing it to a whopping 1.3 oz :)

I'll make a spectra necklace and add my photon as well

Photobucket