Keeping Biting Flies Away?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Keeping Biting Flies Away? on 07/06/2008 20:47:01 MDT Print View

DEET and Permethrin together do a great job keeping mosquitos, ticks, and many other insects away -- but not big, mean and ugly biting flies!

REI sells Jungle Juice Plus -- a DEET repellant with R-326. Any user care to comment on its effectiveness against biting flies?

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
"Keeping Biting Flies Away?" on 07/07/2008 05:56:03 MDT Print View

Ben,
Just last weekend I was swarmed with hundreds of small files on a day trip. They did not bite; I think they wanted salt or something.. and they landed in eyes, nostrils, ears, mouth, anywhere they could get what they wanted. It was miserable. I am NEVER going out again without my $1 bug hood and gloves. Or better yet a ringed version. My bug spray did nothing to deter them.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: "Keeping Biting Flies Away?" on 07/07/2008 09:15:26 MDT Print View

Brett, where did you get a 1 buck hood and gloves?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Keeping Biting Flies Away? on 07/08/2008 09:14:53 MDT Print View

Thanks, Brett -- wearing noseeum hoods and gloves is one good option.

Anybody else? Anyone with experience with R-326 / Jungle Juice Plus or other repellants?

chris Mcfarland
(pecos)

Locale: baba yaga's porch
keeping biting flies away on 07/08/2008 18:53:07 MDT Print View

last fall i got caught without my head net in the cascades. by the second day i was completely insane from hitting my self in the head so many times. i was covered in jungle juice.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Keeping biting flies away on 07/08/2008 19:07:35 MDT Print View

Chris:

Yeah, those flies are vicious! I too use REI Jungle Juice -- but it's the Jungle Juice Plus with the added R 326 ingredient that I am curious about.

Anyone?

chris Mcfarland
(pecos)

Locale: baba yaga's porch
keeping biting flies away on 09/20/2008 15:11:17 MDT Print View

wanted to bump this. has anyone used this stuff this season?? inquiring minds want to know.