Northern Wind River Range question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Fleming
(TonyFleming) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Northern Wind River Range question on 07/03/2008 23:11:41 MDT Print View

Planning an 8 day loop hike for 8-16 Aug, and have a route question for one of you Wind River experts. Is any special equipment needed that time of year if we decide to cross from Peak lake through Knapsack col to drop into Titcomb basin? Can anyone describe the route conditions descending through Knapsack col to the upper end of Titcomb basin? Is it scree or snow, and if snow for how long? Will we need to use ice axes and or need to rope up on this route?
Im trying to decide if we should attempt this North to South route up Glacier trail to peak lake for the great views in Titcomb basin or if we should just stick to the safety of the Highline trail coming from Three Forks Park south to Shannon lake? Are the views of the peaks descent on the Highline trail in that section?

Thanks,
Tony

Edited by TonyFleming on 07/03/2008 23:22:44 MDT.

Paul Luther
(eredluin) - M

Locale: Northeast
Wind River question on 07/05/2008 15:13:27 MDT Print View

Hi Tony,
I did Knapsack col, from Peak lake, in August of 2005.

I had no mountaineering equipment. Didn't need it. I did have a light pack (18 lbs. for 4.5 days) and a good pair of shoes.

At that time, the descent to Titcomb Basin was mainly on snow with a scree/talus section before the Basin floor. I hit the snow during a warm mid-afternoon sun. My feet were very wet by the time I got to the Basin floor. Maybe 75% of the descent was on snow. That's a ball park figure.

The valley above Peak lake is scenic, but the last 500' or so to the col is a steep grovel. I guess you need to do it once, but I wouldn't do it again. That's my view.

PL

Tony Fleming
(TonyFleming) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Northern Wind River Range resuply drop? on 07/07/2008 21:05:10 MDT Print View

Thanks Paul, That really helps.

Has anyone left a resupply box somewhere at the Elkhart Park trail head?

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by TonyFleming on 07/07/2008 21:06:15 MDT.