Forum Index » Chaff » Can you identify this carving?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Can you identify this carving? on 07/03/2008 19:51:27 MDT Print View

Just to get away from the Carbon Flame War...

Does anyone out there recognize this wood carving? It's 13.5"wide x 10"high. The wood seems to be quite old with worm holes and old dry rot. The holes at each side show circular abrasions indicating a "bolt" type device used to fasten the carving to another surface.

It's been in my family since 1948, but was in my step father's rather eclectic antique collection for many years before that.

I figure enough folks see this web-site someone may have an idea.

Old Wood Carving
Old Wood Carving

I'm adding a hand built ceramic version of the above carving that hangs on my fence. You reach into his mouth to pull the rope that opens the gate. He's The Guardian God of the Garden Gate.
Guardian God of the Garden Gate (Ceramic)
Hand built ceramic piece.

Edited by redleader on 07/04/2008 14:01:00 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
it's time for trip to antiques roadshow on 07/04/2008 13:06:53 MDT Print View

Find an Antiques Roadshow making a round somewhere and haul it in with the steamer trunk full of porcelean penguins you have up in the attic.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: it's time for trip to antiques roadshow on 07/04/2008 13:09:51 MDT Print View

If I didn't know that the ARS is all a preplanned set up I'd do it. I've spent some time on the net looking of something like it to no avail.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
WWII Pacific Theater on 07/11/2008 11:08:35 MDT Print View

Just a guess but could it be a GI's souvenir from the WWII Pacific Theater?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: WWII Pacific Theater on 07/12/2008 20:45:22 MDT Print View

Christopher,
It could be but I don't think so. This was in the family since well before the war.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Can you identify this carving? on 07/12/2008 22:42:38 MDT Print View

Try contacting the College of the Redwoods up in Humboldt County. They have an annual wood fair with carvers an artisans from all over. They might know someone who can steer you in the right direction. With the clover? on the headband and European eyes, could it be a Basque carving perhaps? Good luck. Interesting piece no matter where it came from though.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Can you identify this carving? on 07/13/2008 11:40:15 MDT Print View

Ken,

Good idea. I'd never heard of the Wood Fair. Besides, if the weather was sunny it would be a great place to spend a weekend in the redwoods.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Carving on 07/13/2008 13:33:41 MDT Print View

Is there dried blood on it, and can a human neck fit in the arc shape? If so, I'd bet it is a beheading tool from the Spanish Inquisition.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

More Carving photos on 07/13/2008 16:01:06 MDT Print View

No signs of dried blood.

Here are some other views I just took in better light.

Guardian God 4

Guardian God 6

Guardian God 5

Guardian God 7

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Carving on 07/13/2008 16:38:05 MDT Print View

A lot of fountains in Europe squirt water out of the mouths of various creatures. Maybe your carving was designed to be attached above a pipe that spews water, such as the exit from a well pump, making it appear that the water was being spit out by the little man.