Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Trowel - which one?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Trowel - which one? on 08/15/2008 13:56:58 MDT Print View

Thom,
That trowel/spork combo you mention isn't far from another BPL'er comment. I wish I could recall who, but someone was talking about using the cookpot for a urine containment device instead of grabbing boots and a flashlight to take care of business in the middle of the night.
I'd say to search the forums, but that alone is worth laughing at.
Chris

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Trowel in frozen ground? on 07/06/2009 07:41:25 MDT Print View

Curious what you use when the ground is snow-covered and/or frozen solid?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Trowel in frozen ground? on 07/06/2009 17:25:03 MDT Print View

> Curious what you use when the ground is snow-covered and/or frozen solid?

One Of Steve's carbon fibre /titanium ice axes!

cheers

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Trowel? on 07/06/2009 17:50:06 MDT Print View

I don't use or take a trowel.

I feel like I can dig a hole with a stick. So, I win the lightest rowel contest - it's zero!

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Trowel? on 07/06/2009 18:02:06 MDT Print View

> I feel like I can dig a hole with a stick.

I wouldn't think that would work too well in frozen soil even with a large, pointy stick, but I suppose you've managed to make it work.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Trowel - which one? on 07/06/2009 21:01:37 MDT Print View

From a woman's point of view, I'd have to agree that the Montbell trowel is sexy!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Trowel? on 07/06/2009 21:13:39 MDT Print View

Ummm Mike, not above tree line. What would you use, a rock?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Trowel - which one? on 07/06/2009 23:14:56 MDT Print View

I made my own from sheet Ti. It don't weigh much. Got to put a rock on it so it don't blow away in the wind.

Works pretty good as a combo spoon, shoe horn and snow/sand stake.

SUL Ti Multi-tool
My potty trowel.

Edited by redleader on 07/06/2009 23:16:25 MDT.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
REL Trowel - which one on 07/07/2009 00:07:15 MDT Print View

MSR Snow Stake for me. Light, durable, digs well around roots and rocks, and I didn't have to make it.

Sticks just don't work well enough in areas with roots and rocks, or else there just aren't stout enough one lying around that will do the job in the stuff I usually encounter.

Chris Harvey
(CCH) - F
Fiskars Trowel on 07/07/2009 08:45:12 MDT Print View

This is on the heavy side (3.3 ounces) but after snapping one of the straight orange trowels in hard ground, I started using a Fiskars plastic garden trowel. Very durable and digs well. $4

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Snow stake for trowel on 07/07/2009 09:28:17 MDT Print View

The snow stake allows a little bashing with a stick or rock which virtually none of the other trowel options will endure. I wrapped mine with some light line to give some grip and protect my hands, not to mention giving an emergency line supply. A little duct tape would work too. If you really trash one they are cheap and 100% recyclable. In a pinch it can be used for a tent stake :)

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
stake = trowel on 07/07/2009 09:39:31 MDT Print View

I am with Pamela... I use a shaped stake (.4oz). Besides being a trowel it's used as a stake :-) I make it a luxury item by using a small plastic "t-joint" (.4oz) as a handle. This lets me press down hard without worrying that I will hurt my hand. The t-joint is also used to push in stakes when the ground is being troublesome. I found my stakes last longer this way rather than using a rock as a hammer.

--mark

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Trowel - which one? on 07/07/2009 14:08:19 MDT Print View

Another stake user here. Mine is a 1-oz. aluminum semicircular stake left over from some tent or other many years ago. It works just fine. Since my dog also uses it (or rather, I use it for his leavings), he gets to carry it! Only fair since he does his thing twice daily while I need the stake only once a day.

I have also used my shoe heel or trekking pole points, but I've found that the stake is far more effective.

I've found that those cheap plastic trowels are completely useless unless the ground happens to be soft and soggy. After a month of no rain in Pacific Northwest summers, a plastic trowel won't even scratch the surface of the ground.

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
My "new" potty trowel on 07/07/2009 18:18:58 MDT Print View

Here's my version...

MSR snow stake with CCF cushioning the handle (wrapped with cloth bicycle handlebar tape). Stronger, lighter and more comfortable than most solutions...and it can still be used as a tent stake!

34 grams on my scale (1.2 oz.).trowle

Ivan Bertrand
(ibertrand) - F
summer and snow on 07/08/2009 00:31:09 MDT Print View

I use a Montbell Trowell as well.

For snow I would consider a Coghlan's Back Pack Trowel.

Randall Miller
(speyguy) - F

Locale: Cascadia
Trowel - which one on 07/08/2009 14:18:55 MDT Print View

I don't carry a trowel. I'm just selective about my choice of spots and use the back of the heel of my boot to dig a hole.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Trowel - which one on 07/08/2009 18:08:36 MDT Print View

"I don't carry a trowel. I'm just selective about my choice of spots and use the back of the heel of my boot to dig a hole."

Spot on. Trowels are unnecessary, IMO/IME. A proper choice of smaller boulders works well, too. Roll them back and you've got a pre-dug cathole. Just roll 'em back in place when you're finished and carry on with your day. Also, below timberline a sturdy stick makes a good trowel.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Trowel - which one on 07/09/2009 00:54:35 MDT Print View

Ah - bit tricky on alpine grasslands...

Cheers

Jens Aarnaes
(Finnmark) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Home made trowel on 07/09/2009 11:09:06 MDT Print View

My trowel is similar to Mike's - I just spent more time with my file ;-) It weighs 50 grams and now, thanks to suggestions here, has a hole in the handle so it can be used as a tent stake. Jens' angle aluminum trowel