Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight mosquito protection under a tarp?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Doe
(jessearl) - F
Lightweight mosquito protection under a tarp? on 06/28/2008 20:46:51 MDT Print View

What would you recommend as the lightest weight mosquito protection to use while using a tarp for shelter from the rain?

I've got a Outdoor Research Helium Awning tarp that I use. It pitches low to the ground on three sides, but I've still got the one side that lets the mosquitos in.

What do you recommend? A bug bivy? I've seen where people attach a precut piece of netting on the open side of tarp using binder clips.

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
lw mosquito protection on 06/28/2008 22:57:43 MDT Print View

A headnet is pretty light if you can make it work.

Paul Cronshaw
(beemancron) - F

Locale: Southwest US
LW Bug protection on 06/28/2008 23:07:38 MDT Print View

You can use BPL's UL head net and sleep cowboy style under a tarp. Fits nicely in combination with a baseball cap. However, if the netting touches your skin, you are fair game for a mosquito to insert its proboscis and catch a midnight snack.

Great pics of this headnet at: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_headnet.html

I have also ordered a Simblissity Bug Net from BPL and will be testing for under a tarp on my JMT trip.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Full Length Bug Bivy: Mountain Laurel Designs Bug BIvy on 06/29/2008 01:15:24 MDT Print View

John,

For full length bug protection, you might want to consider the Mountain Laurel Designs Bug Bivy:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=55&osCsid=28834ca1521838334f637c309c588b85

At 5.3 oz, it is really light weight.

I don't own this myself, but I am considering it.

Just this year, I am experimenting with using a MLD Poncho Tarp and MLD Soul Side Zip Bivy.

Depending on if I have problems with bugs, I think that this would be a logical addition to my setup.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
Bug bivy on 06/29/2008 03:52:52 MDT Print View

I too have been experimenting with an MLD bivy and tarp and am now considering the bug bivy. Conditions in my neck of the woods certainly warrant more protection. I just wish I could read a review by someone who has actually used the MLD bug bivy.

Cheers

Christopher Behrer
(cbehrer) - F
bug protection on 07/03/2008 06:05:50 MDT Print View

Bug protection is the only step I have left in my conversion to a tarp system, and I think I'm going to go with this

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86660

it may not be from one of the highend UL companies, but it's only 5 ounces, and most importantly to me, it's only 30$ compared to $120 for the mld bug bivy

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: bug protection...Coghlands on 07/03/2008 07:45:17 MDT Print View

Looks fine. I suspect the price difference is due (among other things) to the difference between mosquito netting and no-see-um mesh.

Regardless of the size holes, I would probably spray it with Permethrin to avoid some crawlies.

Edited by tippymcstagger on 07/03/2008 07:49:42 MDT.

René Enguehard
(ahugenerd) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland
Non-flying bugs on 07/03/2008 08:23:03 MDT Print View

I don't know if this is common or not, but around here we have to worry about ground-based bugs. While none are venomous, we do have a heck of a lot of red ants. Waking up in the middle of the night covered in red ants that are eating you would not be fun. I guess it really depends on your area, but I would never go out without a sealed system.

Ernie Elkins
(EarthDweller)

Locale: North Carolina
Re: bug protection on 07/03/2008 10:15:02 MDT Print View

I bought a Stansport mosquito net from this seller on eBay last year, and it's worked very well with my Gatewood Cape. I chose it over the Coghlan's because I preferred the color (green instead of white). The fact that it was less expensive didn't hurt, either.

Edited by EarthDweller on 07/03/2008 10:16:40 MDT.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
netting on 07/03/2008 10:32:33 MDT Print View

I have found a 3 yard section of noseeum that I bought at Seattle Fabrics for $9 to be a great investment. You can use it as a bug screen on a tarp with clip or you can tuck it around yourself while sleeping in really hot environments.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tarps on 07/03/2008 11:15:24 MDT Print View

John,

Having done my share of "tarping" I have switched to a T.T. Contrail that is very breezy but keeps ALL bugs out and is very fast to pitch.
For me tarps are history except for car camping dining flys.

Eric

Edited by Danepacker on 07/03/2008 11:16:08 MDT.

David Potesta
(potestapotesta) - F

Locale: Wisconsin
Ernie... on 07/03/2008 14:18:59 MDT Print View

Ernie: Does this net have a bottom? How do you get in it? I have a tarp that I like to pitch in a half pyramid shape so I'd like to find something that will work with that.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Ernie: Re: Re: bug protection on 07/03/2008 21:26:07 MDT Print View

Ernie,
Is it truly Noseeum? Lots of vendors call their nets noseeum and they aren't. Just wondering 'cause the price is good if it is.

Thanks for the input,
Todd

Karl Gottshalk
(kgottshalk)

Locale: Maine USA
Re: Re: bug protection on 07/04/2008 08:44:42 MDT Print View

What is the weight of this net?

Ernie Elkins
(EarthDweller)

Stansport Mosquito Net on 07/04/2008 11:12:39 MDT Print View

The net weighs about 5.5 oz and doesn't have a floor. There are stake loops at each corner, as well as a strip several inches wide along the base that folds under for a little extra protection. You have to lift a corner to get in and out -- there's no zipper. I'm not sure if it's noseeum or not. I'll check on that tonight and follow up.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: bug protection on 07/04/2008 16:27:29 MDT Print View

I bought that Campmore net a couple years ago... it is not no-see-um mesh. Pretty big openings. And the peak is REALLY high. But you could just bunch it up and tie a suspension guy further down. It also has no floor or zipper. If it works... hey... cool! But you do get what you pay for.

Edited by davidlewis on 07/04/2008 16:29:26 MDT.

JR Redding
(GrinchMT) - F
re: helium solo with net on 07/05/2008 15:57:36 MDT Print View

John - Here is a picture of a bug net my wife and I fashioned for our OR Helium Solo. We both sleep in it and neither of us really likes the idea of using a bivy. The net is an 11 dollar Coughlins bug net. Not sure how this will work yet in the field, will be trying it out Thursday thru Sunday. The net weighs 8 ounces (we haven't trimmed anything out of it yet) It is attached thru the center rings of the net in the center and then attached on each side at the foot and head to keep the net parallel with the walls. Should be enough room to tuck edges in under tyvek ground sheet. There's enough material at the front to easily lift up and down for entry/exit without having to create a door. We only have bugs here to worry about for about a month or so and thats it so I think this will be an easy enough solution for us. Can't be the price for 11 bucks but the openings seem a little big. Hoping it keeps the mosquitoes out. We're going to think about how we can sew a better net out of "no-seeum" this fall.

OR Helium Solo Bug Net

Edited by GrinchMT on 07/05/2008 16:04:41 MDT.

John Doe
(jessearl) - F
Re: Mosquitos and Tarp on 07/06/2008 20:00:02 MDT Print View

Joe, looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your tarp and bug net.

And thanks for the included picture.

Martin Clark
(Marty_Mcfly) - F

Locale: Southeast US
MLD Bug Bivy on 07/07/2008 09:11:23 MDT Print View

I had been looking for a lightweight bug solution for thru hiking the A.T. this summer. I initially bought the Coughlans 21.00 dollar bug net that I saw on campmor, but thought it to be inadequate. I then broke down and bought the $120 MLD Bug Bivy. I went without it for the first $850 Miles until I reached Waynesboro, VA. Let me tell you. After an all out assault at the Maupin Field Shelter I was so glad I had purchased the bug bivy. I sleep inside of it almost every night now. That thing is worth its weight in gold. It pitches nicely under a tarp. or solo. I have also had no problems with the waterproofness of the silnylon floor during a rainstorm. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I am 6'2 and am very glad to have purchased the Long option.

Ernie Elkins
(EarthDweller)

Stansport Net vs. No-See-Ums on 07/09/2008 19:39:45 MDT Print View

For those who are interested, I used a magnifying glass to measure the width of the openings on the Stansport net. As best I can tell, they're a little under 2 mm across. By comparison, the openings on my BPL ultralight headnet are about 1 mm wide.