Alaskan Gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Eldred
(celdred) - MLife

Locale: Mountains!
Alaskan Gear on 10/21/2005 15:06:35 MDT Print View

Here is what I am considering for a 3-5 day Alaskan solo summer hike next summer. Some of the gear I have, some of it I don't, some of it hasn't been released yet, some of it doesn't exist and must be made (ideally someone here will have a commercial solution, but I can make stuff if needed.)
Situation: Remote location, Day temps up to 75-80, Nite temps as low as 20, could get rain/high wind, could get lots of sun, there will be many insects. travel in various terrain, including exposed mountain ridges and thick alders. Possible fall down a scree field.

The weights listed are approximate/expected. Stuff with a * I do not have

Shelter System- 36oz
*TarpTent Rainbow- 32oz
*Mountain Laurel Designs Groundsheet- 4oz

Sleep System- 39oz
*Bozeman Mountain Works Arc X Cocoon Synthetic Quilt- 25 degree - 26oz
*Gossamer Gear NiteLite Torso Pad- 8oz
*2*Gossamer Gear ThinLite 1/8inch Pads- 4oz
Stuff Sack- 1oz

Clothing- 51.5oz
SmartWool LS Zip-T- 6oz
ID eVent Rain Jacket- 10oz
SmartWool LU Bottoms- 5oz
GoLite Reed Rain Pants- 4oz
REI Wind Fleece Headband- 1oz
REI Wind Fleece Hat- 2oz
Black Diamond Jetstream Gloves- 2oz
OR Rain Mitts- 1.5oz
UnderArmor Lo-Cut Socks- 2oz
*Patagonia Micropuff Pullover- 12oz
PossumDown Socks- 2oz
*Cocoon X Balclava- 3oz
Stuff Sack- 1oz

Cook System- 11.5oz
*Titanium Pot w/ Foil Lid- 4oz
MSR Pocket Rocket- 3oz
Anti-Gravity Gear Pouch Cozy- 2oz
*Foil Windscreen- 1oz
Titanium Spork- 0.5oz
Plastic Mug- 1oz

Pack- 34oz
*Bozeman Mountain Works Spectra Pack w/ CF Frame or McHale Custom Subpop 33oz
*GG Pack Liner Bags 1oz

Other- 22.5oz
Toiletries-2.5 oz
First Aid- 5oz
Repair-3oz
Firestarting-1oz
Aqua Mira-1oz
2*Photon Microlights-0.5oz
Sunscreen/Insect Repellent-1oz
TP + Hand Sanitizer + Lighter-1oz
Stuff Sack- 0.5oz
2L Platypus + Hose System-4oz
Headnet-3oz

Navigation- 5.5oz
Compass-1oz
Maps-2oz
GPS-2.5oz

Worn- 69oz
Clouveil Inertia Pants-10oz
Under Armor Boxers-2oz
*RailRaiders EcoMesh Top-6oz
*Timberland Delerion Adventure Racing Shoes- 28oz
UA Lo-Cut Socks-2oz
*Timberland Gaiters-2oz
REI Sun Hat-2oz
Bandana-0.5oz
Leatherman Juice S2-3oz
Butane Cigar Lighter-1oz
2.5" Drop Point Knife-3oz
*Compass/Altimeter Watch-2oz
Whistle-0.5oz
Sunglasses-1oz
*Bozeman Mountain Works Carbon Fiber Poles-6oz

Survival Gear
EPLB w/ GPS 8oz
Survival Belt + Belt Pouch w/ survival kit 6oz

Total In Pack: 200oz (12.5lbs)
Total Worn: 69oz (4.31lbs)
Total Skin-out: 269oz (16.81lbs)
Fuel for 3 days: 7.5oz (~.5 lbs)
Food for 3 days- 96oz (6lbs)
Water- 32oz (2 lbs)
Pack Total: 335.5 oz (20.97 lbs)
Skin Out Total: 404.5 (25.28 lbs)

Rationale:
Shelter- I need a a shelter that can resist high winds, blowing rain and hordes of mosquitos. So a free standing tent fits the bill. The lightest free-standing tent I could find is the upcoming Tarp Tent Rainbow (look at the preview under Spotlites on BPL.com)

Sleep- There will be stream crossings and possible heavy rain. A down bag is too much of a liability in my opinion, and doesn't deal well with condensation either. So a synthetic bag is the choice. The lightest I could find is the upcoming BMW Arc Cocoon (on a forum thread, can't remember which one). This is paired with multiple closed-cell foam pads for flexibility and not having to worry about getting pads wet or punctured.

Clothing-
full rain wear- jacket and pants are good for above tree-line winds. the eVent jacket is breathable enough to be worn as a wind shirt over a light layer. the patagonia micropuff along with a synthetic balaclava will push the 30-degree bag to 20 at least.

Pack- I need a tough pack that can deal with sharp rocks and alders. McHale makes excellent packs, and so are the upcoming Bozeman Mountain Works packs (again, saw them in a forum thread).

Other- I like hose systems instead of bladders, primarily because they keep my hands free and don't require stopping to drink. I feel the need for lots of first aid and repair gear because of the remote location and the terrain I am traveling on. A fall on scree can easily break gear or cause serious injury.

Worn-
Lighweight soft-shell pants and a long sleeve sun shirt are ideal multi-purpose apparel for both above and below tree-line travel. timberland shoes look like an excellent cross-terrain shoe for wet conditions. trekking poles help stabilize the shelter and provide additional support in wet conditions. a lighter and multiple knives are good survival tools.

Survival: this is gear that I don't even include in my weight totals. A PLB provides emergency last-case insurance: alaska is too remote to rely on conventional signaling means in the event of a problem. A survival kit that stays on the body all the time (along with the aforementioned knives and lighter and the PLB- in a waterproof case) provide more emergency insurance in case my gear gets lost.

Summary: Basically, I have selected gear to deal with temps between 20 and 75, heavy wind and rain, insects and sun. It must be durable to deal with scree and bushwacking. I erred on the side of caution and I could probably deal with colder temps than those listed. There is also a fair amount of survival/emergency gear because of the remoteness.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Alaska or bust on 10/21/2005 15:28:19 MDT Print View

Impressive list--- an eVENT jacket makes for a very warm windshell---sometimes too warm. It can get hot (!) on an Alasken Summer's day---unless this is in a more maritime influenced part. A little 3 oz. pertex quantum windshell is so versatile (great for LW bug pro, a sleeping garment to keep your bag cleaner, even as a replacement for a non-baselayer shirt. It takes up so little space.

It would be nice if the BMW pack will be ready by Summer but I don't know If Ryan and Co. can guarantee that. Ditto Cocoon X balaclava. If you decide on the McHale, you better order soon----waiting list + production time!

If travel to Alaska is not by car--transporting fixed length poles can be problematic. A shipping tube may be in order.

Clothes list is very nice, very versatile.

Edited by kdesign on 10/21/2005 15:31:01 MDT.