Forum Index » GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight

Display Avatars Sort By:
jacob thompson
(nihilist37) - F
hydration bladder on 10/22/2005 01:40:19 MDT Print View

At the moment I'm using a 2L platy. I find it harder to take water from small sources using this. However I'm just about to swap to 2x 1L platys and see if I can make some kind of belt system that they ar either inserted into or hang from. This i think will be more convenient for me since I dont wear a hipbelt and it will remove weight from my pack and put it in a more friendly position.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: hydration bladder on 10/22/2005 04:24:53 MDT Print View

Jacob,

if you have either a belt or belt-loops on your hiking pants/shorts, try using some bungee to afix the Platys. if you can do this, then you've added only a miniscule amount of wt to your kit - viz. the two small loops of bungee (or four if you want added security - 2 loops for each Platy).

if you aren't already carrying a lot of wt. in your pants/shorts, there may not be an issue with the ~4lbs of water attached as stated above. the issue being, of course, your pants/shorts falling down! might be a problem, don't know. give it a try, unless you already know that it is an unworkable solution.

or, a 1/2" wide webbing belt with side release buckle (all necessary parts available from REI) could easily be fashioned. you could easily afix bungee loops to it & the 2 Platys to the bungee. the webbing belt gives you other options for carrying also, e.g. for climbing or squeezing through some rocks you might want to relocated the belt so as not to damage the Platys.

my guess is that you would want, if possible, the Platys to be more horizontally oriented about the waist vs. vertically oriented.

just some thoughts.

Edited by pj on 10/22/2005 05:12:41 MDT.

Richard Perlman
(montclair) - MLife

Locale: Metro NY
Winter Cover on 10/23/2005 18:37:43 MDT Print View

pj wrote:
<have a neoprene tube cover for below freezing temps. it, combined with drinking every 10minutes, keeps it from freezing>

I have one, too, hooked up to a 2L hoser. I use it when downhill skiing. It's almost worthless. Water will always freeze in the mouthpiece first, even when using the neoprene bite valve cover. My kids both have "winterized" Camelbacks. They both freeze; even the one with the zip-the-hose-into-the-shoulder-strap feature.

The best way to keep your platy tube unfrozen is to empty it out after each use. I hold it up and squeeze the bite valve. As air goes in, most of the water runs back into the bladder, but some (enough) drips back down into the bite valve. At this point, you have to squeeze the bite valve, pointing it down and let the remaining few drops drip out. Now it's empty and can't freeze.

Rich

Edited by montclair on 10/23/2005 18:41:48 MDT.

Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
I hate badders and why on 10/23/2005 20:50:01 MDT Print View

I haven't read this entire thread, but I see it is on bladders and I must add my 2 cents. I hate bladders. Case in point, this weekend, a trip to Dolly Sods was cut short because my friend's Camelback hose seperated from the bladder body inside his pack and a litre and a half of Gateraid soaked his sleeping bag.

Only way I would use a bladder would be in a pack like the Osprey Aether where the pladder is outside of the pack. If in the pack, I would only use if all my stuff was in a dry bag (and the bladder was not.)

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Winter Cover on 10/23/2005 21:40:25 MDT Print View

Richard,

thanks for posting; good suggestion on emptying the tube. i'm rarely out in much below freezing (mid-20's, and then usually, not always, have Nal. Cantenes). had to use your suggestion only once this past winter w/a 1L bladder - learned the hard way.

to empty the tube, i would blow the fluid back into the Platy and then lift the tube up. time to drink, compressing the bite valve somewhat forcefully with the teeth once to a few times, was all that was needed to break up any minor ice formation from any remaining fluid and the exhaled breath used to empty the tube.

Edited by pj on 10/24/2005 02:36:57 MDT.

David Bonn
(david_bonn) - F

Locale: North Cascades
Re: Hydration Bladder Insight on 10/23/2005 22:19:03 MDT Print View

What I meant by the "best compromise"...

One thing is that I hate to have just one water container, and like to be able to carry at least three liters and sometimes four of water. I don't normally carry that much, but it happens often enough that I like to be able to most of the time.

The combination of cold weather and cold fingers can make it pretty challenging to securely close a big zip. I've twice walked for five or six hours on little or no water because I couldn't get the zip to close securely. That certainly didn't kill me either time but it isn't an experience I'd like to repeat.

I used to carry a small (1L) platy bottle and a big zip with a hydration tube. I switched to carrying an aquafina bottle largely because the aquafina bottle was much easier to fill and much less expensive.

Another good argument for carrying two water containers is if you are using AquaMira or Iodine. It is pretty straitforward to alternate containers and be drinking from one while the other is, um, brewing.

The one thing I miss about the platy bottles (I still use them for winter ski trips because they pack so well) is that when the cap gives out you can cut the bottom out and make an *excellent* bowl. (the one I use right now weighs in at 0.4oz and carries nicely inside my cookpot). I suppose I could just buy a new bottle and cut the new bottom out, but it sort of goes against the grain.

Edited by david_bonn on 10/23/2005 22:20:32 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Hydration Bladder Insight on 10/23/2005 22:26:02 MDT Print View

David,

good point on the "brewing". lately, i've been taking 3 1L Platys (1 bladder and 2 bottles). i don't like the weight of 3 water containers, but the "brew" aspect is definitely appreciated. i include the bladder because i like to be able to drink while on the move.

Edited by pj on 10/23/2005 22:28:31 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: I hate badders and why on 10/23/2005 22:32:22 MDT Print View

Bob,

only once did i have a "bladder" accident. bite valve came off of my Platy. fluid came out pretty fast, forcing me to clamp the tube between my teeth to stem the flow and then replace the bite valve. haven't had a "bladder" accident inside of the pack yet. the Platy tubes are a good length. i think that this helps to reduce or eliminate the problem your friend experienced which may be caused by pulling on the tube.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
drying collapsable water containers on 10/30/2005 06:11:50 MST Print View

Several folks have noted that collapsable water containers take forever to dry.

That can be solved with air exchange if you don't live in *VERY* humid conditions.

I tried a small aquarium air pump ... dried out this platy in 8 hours.

Call your nearest big box pet store weekly and ask if they have any on clearance ... the smallest size will do.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: drying collapsable water containers on 10/30/2005 11:39:05 MST Print View

good one, Jim. great idea.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: drying collapsable water containers on 10/30/2005 12:57:30 MST Print View

Excellent idea! One can dry BOTH the bladder AND the drinking tube together!

Wonder if there are "T" connectors to allow branching of tubes to dry multiple bladders at a time?

Edited by ben2world on 10/30/2005 13:01:24 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
more about drying collapsable water containers on 10/30/2005 14:20:48 MST Print View

* yes you can buy T fittings for the air lines

* If you are really worried about disinfecting water bags .... add a tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach to one gallon of tepid water and mix well. Don't use more bleach than that, this is not a case where more is better ... pour some into each bladder and drain out thru the drinking tube ... dry with the aquarium pump.

Edited by jcolten on 10/30/2005 14:31:52 MST.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: drying collapsable water containers on 10/30/2005 16:39:15 MST Print View

'T' and 'Y' fittings and tubing - try your local auto supply/parts store. also the same pet/aquarium supply store where the pump is purchased will have tubing and possibly the fittings. appliance parts stores will also have tubing.

Edited by pj on 10/30/2005 16:41:25 MST.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Re: drying collapsable water containers on 10/30/2005 17:12:15 MST Print View

Alternative to drying: freeze 'em. No hassel.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: drying collapsable water containers on 10/31/2005 00:43:22 MST Print View

>>"freeze 'em"

been there. done that. works great. great suggestion.

it's nice to have alternatives.

(Anonymous)
A better alternative? on 11/20/2005 17:48:06 MST Print View

I wonder why no one has mentioned my favorite water containers: 20-oz sports drink bottles. The wide mouth is handy, especially for adding snow; the size is perfect: the maximum amount of water that can be absorbed in an hour (helps you keep track); there are plenty of accessory holders (or add a piece of vinyl tubing to the cap for upright drinking); they are cheap (and come filled with free sugar water) and readily available; they don't impart flavors; and after a few uses and rinses they can be recycled. Their PET gets converted into polyester clothing. Also, they turn out to be the most weight-efficient container AFAIK.