Reinventing... the chair
Display Avatars Sort By:
te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Hammocks are multipurpose on 07/03/2008 20:11:51 MDT Print View

hey that hammock thing is kinda cool. i might have to look into it!

i dont know what's taking everyone else so long, its the best move I. ever. made.

when not hangin' near the group or fire etc... I use a sit light pad. my philosophy regarding UL hiking is that if you dont carry that 1 lb thermarest chair, you wont need it at camp. HYOH!

you might could make one out of Spinnaker, 3/4 polypro webbing, and a GG Nightlite pad

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 07/03/2008 20:21:46 MDT.

Bob Ellenberg
(BobTheBuilder) - F
pack back as a chair on 07/07/2008 06:39:42 MDT Print View

We veered off subject for those of us not using hammocks. Several years ago I rigged up my treking poles and some straps to my pack as a passable chair. I basically leaned against my pack and the straps were attached to my sholder straps and I was sitting on my poles and the straps went to the ends of them. This fall I intend to try some new arrangements of the poles putting them cross ways under the back of my knees to spread the straps further apart.

What could the rest of you come up with?

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: pack back as a chair on 07/07/2008 21:07:00 MDT Print View

I'm sorry. My fault. I just like my hammock.

I did work on a 3 legged stool patterned off the Roll-A-Stool (TM)
FoldAStool
but made out of carbon fiber and ripstop nylon that came in right at 5 oz. (sorry no pic of my creation available) But I alway had the uneasy feeling when sitting on it that it would collapse or worse fail and send splinters of CF into my rear, so I stopped using it and switched to carrying the GG NightLight pad Torso Length to sit on. Use it on logs, rocks, the ground, everywhere. waterproof, very comfy, 3.5 oz.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what about a miniature hammock seat. One just big enough for your rear. Tie to two trees and have a great seat. Could probably use spectra cord and cuben and have it weight only an ounce or two. Would be nice around camp. Just a thought.

Happy Trails,
-Mark

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
chair on 07/08/2008 02:14:44 MDT Print View

By drilling holes and cutting away bits of a chair like Mark shows in his picture I got down to 3.5 ounces. I only use it cycle camping and the strain is taken by my spare gear cable through the bottom of each leg to stop them spreading.
There ought to be a way to use your rucksack as a back.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: chair on 07/08/2008 16:59:04 MDT Print View

Well what do you hammockers do when there are no trees around??

I've tried the LuxuryLite pack frame/sit pad. It works well if your pack is full-ish, not quite as good once you've unpacked a lot of the bulky stuff though, and the bottom of the frame can be a bit rough on a tent floor unless you put down something else first to protect it.

I still like the idea of attempting a cuban/Ti-goat poles chair combo. I just have to get some cuban...

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: chair, camp stool, ground hammock? on 07/08/2008 21:10:20 MDT Print View

Derek is right. To keep an ultralight 3 legged stool stable you need to tie the bottoms of each leg together in some fashion. The top is obviously held together with the fabric seat. If not secured at the bottom, the legs will splay and it will fail at the mid shaft joint.

Allison- when there are no trees I pitch the hammock on the ground with the tarp and use it like an elaborate bivy. Admittedly it is not much of a seat in that conformation, but neither is any tent or bivy. I also use my Contrail or SMD Gatewood Cape if I know trees will be in short supply.

Edited by markhurd on 07/08/2008 21:11:20 MDT.

George Geist
(geist) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Slinglight chair as external frame pack on 09/28/2009 20:46:40 MDT Print View

> I bet some DIYers can use the slinglight as an external pack frame and get multi use out of it

I have taken a slinglight chair and created what I call the "Chair-e-it" backpack. It converts into five useful items:
an external frame backpack, camp chair, lounge chair, cot, and fanny pack yet weighs only 1 lb 15 oz.

For pictures, description, and instructions for building your own Chair-e-it go to www.csm.ornl.gov/~geist/Philmont

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
3-legged chair on 09/28/2009 21:07:07 MDT Print View

Hey Mark,

I always carry a 3-legged chair that I bought several years ago at Costco. It's similar to the Roll-a-Stool chair you mentioned, and just a few ounces heavier at exactly 1 pound. I love being able to sit above ground level and be able to move around as shade or smoke dictate. I'm willing to suck up the weight but I admit that I really like the sound of your 5 ounce version. I understand no pics are available, but can you tell us (me) how you made it? Thanks!