Gossamer Gear customer service SUCKS
Display Avatars Sort By:
te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Gossamer Gear customer service SUCKS on 06/22/2008 13:10:49 MDT Print View

I purchased a Miniposa on the 14th of May this year. After looking it over and playing w/ it I decided it wasnt going to work for me. Following the "return policy" guidelines, I sent the unused pack back to the Austin, TX warehouse within the 30 day return period. Via Priority mail on the 7th of June. So, after a week and no word from GG about my order status, I start one of several emails that are replied with the "we havent seen the pack, check with USPS" line. Then after about 3 emails from me, they decide to tell me that they did in fact recieve the pack on the 11th, and would process the return. Today is the 22nd. No refund, no word on progress, no concern about my missing $100, no way I'll ever do business with them again. I have had to become very stern almost to the point of rude in my last correspondence with the kooks in the Gossamer Gear cyber world. Has anyone else been so shafted by a supposed "no questions asked" return policy or the @$#^%'s who run the shop?
am I missing something?

BUYERS BEWARE

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/22/2008 13:12:20 MDT.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
GG on 06/22/2008 13:37:56 MDT Print View

Wow. I’m guessing you’re going to be in the minority with that opinion on this site. I’ve purchased quite a few things (and returned some) from GG and received attention and support in a way that was beyond professional and timely - it was personal. Picking the right gear is not just a matter of comfort, in many ways you’re putting your faith in the manufacturer for your own safety. I have nothing but appreciation for GG, and to broaden the subject, for most UL shops who are doing their best to bring their products to the masses without the backing and support of marketing and delivery machines. I guess my point is that these vendors are guys, guys who have a life, guys who hike, guys who research fabrics and materials unknown to us, and guys who are trying to provide a service that is as likely unique to them as it is to you. They don’t have the resources or time to devote to every customer every minute in every situation. Sometimes they are on vacation, hanging out with the families, or otherwise taking a few minutes (days) to themselves. Just a couple weeks ago GG was at Damascus Days (Trail Days) here in Virginia. I’m guessing the shop wasn’t terribly timely with customer service needs during that period. Because this is summer, they have a lot of other gigs to make an appearance and spread the word. Hopefully you will find this to be true in this situation and nothing more sinister.

If it makes you feel any better, I have an e-mail waiting for Grant’s response for the last week or so. I’ve also been waiting to hear from Brian from ULA-Equipment for a little longer. Yes, I wish they’d meet my needs 24/7, but the reality is this industry doesn’t work that way and I’m more then happy to accept some minor delays and inconveniences for the quality and personal attention I otherwise receive. The UL movement is underground right now and vendors are doing a very good job at researching and developing the latest and greatest UL technologies, usually from the comforts of their own home and on their own time. Give GG the benefit of the doubt for now. Obviously time will tell if this is a fluke. Dare I even say that e-mails have a way of getting eaten nowadays.

Edited by regultr on 06/22/2008 14:20:32 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: GG on 06/22/2008 13:50:04 MDT Print View

I'd expect them to respond to this since this is a very active board. Hopefully it is just an oversight or complacency issue that will be quickly resolved.

Edited by jshann on 06/23/2008 03:50:00 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
GG custormer service sucks on 06/22/2008 13:51:44 MDT Print View

Have had nothing but praise for them. Never had an issue and I too have returned stuff. Sometimes a disconect happens. Too bad for you I guess, but I would not write them off. GVP is a cool dude and runs a great site!

G Dup
(lococoyo) - F
Re: Gossamer Gear customer service SUCKS on 06/22/2008 14:22:37 MDT Print View

Call your credit card people and get a chargeback.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

gossamer gear refunds on 06/22/2008 14:24:45 MDT Print View

"Hopefully it is just an oversight or complacency issue that will be quickly resolved."

mee too!

GVP is a cool dude, but his involvement with the company seems to be a minimal effort, as in he lives in San Diego and the company warehouse is in Austin. I believe that Grant and Michael are solely responsible for this act.
btw, fwiw, they sent the pack out on the same day I paid. I just dont see a reason not to extend the same effort for refunds. I think we all deserve better treatment. Dont you like to be treated in a professional manner, just as I do with my gear and products? (i make tarps for those that wonder about that last statement)

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Sucks on 06/22/2008 15:37:12 MDT Print View

The North Face sucks on 06/13/2008

Gossamer Gear customer service SUCKS on 06/22/2008

Gee… I wonder who’s next?

Paul Luther
(eredluin) - M

Locale: Northeast
Re: Re: Sucks on 06/22/2008 17:33:58 MDT Print View

I second what Ken said.
Paul

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
GG's a good company from my perspective on 06/22/2008 18:49:11 MDT Print View

Per Paul and Ken, I've also heard nothing but good things from GG. We even had a chance to visit them, they were very hospitable.
Further, they were most helpful in other areas and I for one will do business with them again.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, hopefully you'll give them the chance to make it right. Grant is a good guy.

Regards,
MikeB

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Gosamer Gear on 06/22/2008 19:05:35 MDT Print View

You know it could have been just a one off thing. I work in sales and I know how things do get twisted. Also, how many times has someone that has met me, thought I was a jerk only to find out later how cool I am. Hope this one experience won't put you of with them. I think they make fantastic products and are a great company

Glen Van Peski
(gvanpeski) - F - M

Locale: San Diego
Issue resolved on 06/22/2008 20:55:14 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the kind customer comments. Mr. Stivers has evidently not had a chance to get back to this forum, but I will pass on a comment he made in a similar thread on Whiteblaze.net.

"On a lighter note, I talked candidly with Grant today who has been tied up with personal issues, and he promised to make good."

--Glen

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

thanks Glen on 06/22/2008 21:15:40 MDT Print View

glen, glad you left out some of the "other" comments that were made on whiteblaze, that only could be left on whiteblaze. such immature diatribe has no home on this forum.

must be the full moon.
or somthin'

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Gosamer Gear on 06/23/2008 02:58:23 MDT Print View

Just to add my support for Gossamer Gear and Glen... I'Ve been purchasing their gear and interacting with different people who work there for nigh on eight years now and GG has become my favorite ultralight gear company of all (I also really like TarpTent, with Hanry Shires). Not only does everyone there respond immediately to questions and problems, but they make an concerted effort to interact with you on a personal basis, so that Glen and I have grown to be friends, even though we've never met. When I have ideas for gear they listen, when I have questions about gear that I've bought or am thinking of buying they listen and respond, when there are hiccoughs in the designs they gracefully listen to my criticisms. Glen even sent me a free pair of LIghtrek poles after we corresponded on something, and that's something he certainly didn't have to do.

Anyone who knows me here knows that I will and have criticized companies and gear that I thought were sub-standard, so you know that I am not just trying to butter GG staff up by writing this. I genuinely think that GG is a company that is about as honest and sincere and generous in interaction with customers as you can get. It would be very upsetting for me to start reading a slew of negative statements about them, because the statements would reflect something completely different from what I know is true.

I'm just glad the whole thing worked out. As it naturally should have.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
"Gossamer Gear customer service SUCKS" not for me on 06/23/2008 07:44:17 MDT Print View

I also own several small products from GG; and have no complaints. Products were delivered quickly and meet advertised specs. I don't know the names of the people involved, but I'd do business with them again without hesitation.

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
Gossamer Gear is awesome on 06/23/2008 08:13:49 MDT Print View

I have had numerous transaction with GG, and have been extremely pleased every single time. Fast shipping, good communication, excellent responsiveness on returns. Grant has always been a real pleasure to deal with. I'm certain that whatever issue has transpired will quickly become a thing of the past. I would encourage anyone to do business with these fine folks and support them any way you can so they can continue to develop cutting edge products and support the ultralight revolution.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Gossamer Gear customer service SUCKS on 06/23/2008 13:27:37 MDT Print View

My experience with customer service from GG has been nothing but great. They accidentally shipped my order to the wrong address (ended up in California, I live in Missouri). They checked it out a promptly resent the gear I ordered and included a little bonus.

I would have no reservation recommending Gossamer Gear to anyone.

Adam

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Gossamer Gear on 06/23/2008 18:04:26 MDT Print View

Folks, one thing we need to look at here. I know there was frustration here over one poster complaining about customer service that was not up to par for him. To say that a companies customer service sucks is a tad much. I know that there was some frustration in the original post. But really, was it any worse than Big Sky? No. It is one thing when a company has a sordid history of bad service, but to be honest, this is the first one I have read about GG. Heck even Glen posted on this subject which I find rather cool. You see the same from ULA, SMD, and MLD too. I'd hate to have a great company or companies reputations possibly tarnished from a negative post. Again, I know how frustrating it can be when things don't happen the way you want to. I just wish there was a tad more cooling off period before possibly posting this.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Gossamer Gear on 06/23/2008 18:05:36 MDT Print View

Now I will step off of my soap box

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
one of the fightening things about forums ... on 06/28/2008 11:01:49 MDT Print View

One of the frightening things about forums and blogs is everyone starts with a level of credibilty. We can dish out advice about product preferences, technique, even climbing and safety issue and someone else can or will pick up on this and nod knowingly "uh-huh". I have a reasonable background in much of what is covered here yet I started hesitating on the "advice" side of things.
We've got some real experts in light applications of equipment and techniques and, what I suspect are gear doggies and equipment collectors. Sometimes the best advice is a standard "search the forums" and try it in your backyard first.
Gossamer Gear does not suck but when a certain tent guy was struggling to fill his orders the collective "we" stayed on top of it until it changed. If you want to flame something here you better have photos and autopsy reports to back up your allegations, I want tattered remains of equipment and hungry blistered bodies clutching credit card statements.
Oh yeah, Bozoman Mtn. Products suck ... lol.

Paul Cronshaw
(beemancron) - F

Locale: Southwest US
Gossamer Gear Addiction on 06/28/2008 11:10:13 MDT Print View

I confess. I suffer from "GG addiction"!

Gossamer Gear has:

1. Good UL philosophy
2. Good products
3. Good service
4. Good communication
5. Good people (Glen, Grant, Jeff et. al.)

There are a lot of backpackers who thank this company (and others) for helping them move to the lite side.

Enough said. Lets move on.